jamescv7's config

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I will keep Browser Protect addon in Firefox for Windows only. The one I removed was Browser Protect in Firefox for Linux.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Removed Avira free and installed NAV 2012 90 Days.

Works well with PC Tools Firewall Plus.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Removed Norton Antivirus 90 Days Trial and installed Avira Free 12 with Webguard (not a big deal for the toolbar).

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
but ,You will see that the WebGuard is active on your Avira AntiVir Personal – Free Antivirus WITHOUT the unnecessary SearchFree/Ask Toolbar.
this : http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2011/07/11/disable-avira-searchfree-ask-com-toolbar-popup-nag-alert/

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well just did and glad it didn't made some problem so the toolbar is disabled already.

Actually I made a little trouble in removing Norton but it made successful lately.

P

Plexx

@james: could I ask what's your thoughts on Puppy Linux? Such as usability, requirements etc.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That OS comes with two types

One I use is Puppy Linux (Lucid) which can meet even new hardware in order to function properly.

And the second one is Warry Puppy which can meet in old hardware components. The requirements

For usability it isn't very complicated to use since application you want to use is in the menu and it was arranged properly. For installing pet files it will just take a shorter time and it will tell you where the application to be located.

Quickpet is Puppy Manager that you can install the most common application like browsers.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In Puppy Linux I've used the Beta version of Firefox.

Then in Windows XP, added Toolwiz TimeFreeze just in case for performing experimentation.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avira Free = Removed

Avast Free 7= Installed

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Linux:

Removed Firefox

Added Google Chrome

Reason: Well I've patiently used Firefox even its frequently freeze likely unresponsiveness script, Also I think because of the system requirements met since a 1 GB RAM installed that cause consume a bit at all.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Addons that I've added in Google Chrome.

Adblock Plus (Beta), AVG Do Not Track, LastPass, WOT, TaBMemFree, and FastestChrome.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Solid config James as far as I can tell. IF your using avg do not track why dont you try avg linkscanner addon for chrome.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks for your suggestion, added AVG Linkscanner for Chrome not a bad addition as its providing good accurate ratings.

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
When your at it replace avast for avg because its way better! Avast sandbox is joke you can replace this for sandboxie free its a better option , and free to!

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well for Windows XP I barely used from now since March and visited only for checking purpose. Puppy Linux is likely my main OS system

So IMO Avast is fine enough for me and my "on demand scanners" are also installed in case of problem.

+ Toolwiz TimeFreeze to undo any changes that's likely act as virtualization..

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks jamesvc7 that you liked Avg addon. Just hit the kudos button next time to thank me. LOL. I myself use avg and opera comes with avg blacklists.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.