Well-known
May 4, 2018
4/4 layers are covered.
  • Backup: Macrium
  • Realtime & other: MBAM, OSA & ESET
  • Firewall: ESET
  • Web browser: uBo, Emsisoft, Window Defender Browser Extension

My advice:
  • I think in the realtime department you are fairly overkill with it, it's up to you how you go about it, but I'd lose MBAM (very optional). If you want it on your comp still, I'd keep it
  • Keep either Emsisoft or Window Defender Browser Security and replace one of them with Netcraft, I don't think you need 3 real time web protection functions (ESET, WD & Emsisoft)
  • Minerblock isn't needed, you can use filter list(s) via Filterlist (searching miner) to achieve the same result without an additional extension
  • Ghostery isn't needed due to uBlock Origin
  • Consider ZAM Free 3.0

Thanks for sharing!

~LDogg

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
4/4 layers are covered.
  • Backup: Macrium
  • Realtime & other: MBAM, OSA & ESET
  • Firewall: ESET
  • Web browser: uBo, Emsisoft, Window Defender Browser Extension
My advice:
  • I think in the realtime department you are fairly overkill with it, it's up to you how you go about it, but I'd lose MBAM (very optional). If you want it on your comp still, I'd keep it
  • Keep either Emsisoft or Window Defender Browser Security and replace one of them with Netcraft, I don't think you need 3 real time web protection functions (ESET, WD & Emsisoft)
  • Minerblock isn't needed, you can use filter list(s) via Filterlist (searching miner) to achieve the same result without an additional extension
  • Ghostery isn't needed due to uBlock Origin
  • Consider ZAM Free 3.0
Thanks for sharing!

~LDogg
Thanks @LDogg for your advice.
If I would install Netcraft, is it better to keep WDBP or EBS ?
For minerblock, are all filters needed ?
It seems that Ghostery and µBlock Origin did not block exactly the same trackers ?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Thanks @LDogg for your advice.
If I would install Netcraft, is it better to keep WDBP or EBS ?
For minerblock, are all filters needed ?
It seems that Ghostery and µBlock Origin did not block exactly the same trackers ?

1. No problem at all, just happy to help people out.
  2. Both have good protection, but Emsisoft is more privacy focused when looking at URLs to determine malicious sites.
  3. One should be needed, plus the default EasyList should block some miners as well.
  4. What you have to think about with Adblockers is not the amount of lists or extensions, is how effectively it blocks adverts on all the common websites you visit. There's a fine balance for Security vs Privacy and the other way round. I wouldn't get too tinfoily with trackers.

~LDogg

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
  1. No problem at all, just happy to help people out.
  2. Both have good protection, but Emsisoft is more privacy focused when looking at URLs to determine malicious sites.
  3. One should be needed, plus the default EasyList should block some miners as well.
  4. What you have to think about with Adblockers is not the amount of lists or extensions, is how effectively it blocks adverts on all the common websites you visit. There's a fine balance for Security vs Privacy and the other way round. I wouldn't get too tinfoily with trackers.
~LDogg
And why not Emsisoft Browser Security + Windows Defender BP + Netcraft ?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
And why not Emsisoft Browser Security + Windows Defender BP + Netcraft ?
You would have 3 web based real time functions in ESET, Emsisoft & WD, this is very much over kill in terms of protection. I understand the need for a layered protection, but implementing it with 3 detection engines is not viable. Much like when people install an Security Suite and still install a 2nd Firewall or 2nd realtime AV or MBAM (excluding Webroot for AVs).

A layered security approach can be done with the simplicity of a security suite which you have done, something like OSArmor could complimentt the suite if it has a weak Anti-Exploit component or none at all. 90% of most threats now come via email or web browser, so mitigating this first would be a priority for most. Such as using an Adblocker, web protection component and Anti-Exploit (if needed) dependent on user preferences. Plus having two real time web based protection components can slow down browsing speed as well.

I hope this helps to some degree.

~LDogg

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
You don't need Malwarebytes premium if you have ESET. Keep the free version for on-demand scans. ESET is a security suite providing multiple layers. You don't need anything with it. I would suggest you to swap OSArmor for SysHardener. In terms of security more is not better. In fact it increases your attack surface. Learn to use ESET to it's full potential. It has HIPS which makes OSArmor redundant since HIPS can cover more areas. As for extensions ESET has an Excellent web filter so you only need a good ad blocker. The only software I would use alongside ESET would be Shadow Defender. Remember that the user is the weakest link. The AV is always the last line of defence. No matter what AV you use always keep a backup of your system.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Nestor @devjit2018 are right on the money with there replies. You don't mention which browser you use. I suggest either Nano Adblocker + included NoCoin filter or, if Firefox, then uBO + No Coin & Nano Integration filters. I'd get rid of all the extra stuff. Eset, SysHardner and one adblocker and you are set. (y):)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Agree, ESET IS has great detection in PUP (check setting if disabled) and for Web surfing, You don't need MWB in resident... also NVT OSA is not needed if You learn how to properly tweak ESET HIPS.

Thanks for sharing :giggle:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
@Nestor @devjit2018 are right on the money with there replies. You don't mention which browser you use. I suggest either Nano Adblocker + included NoCoin filter or, if Firefox, then uBO + No Coin & Nano Integration filters. I'd get rid of all the extra stuff. Eset, SysHardner and one adblocker and you are set. (y):)
Thanks @oldschool
I'm using Chrome browser.

Agree, ESET IS has great detection in PUP (check setting if disabled) and for Web surfing, You don't need MWB in resident... also NVT OSA is not needed if You learn how to properly tweak ESET HIPS.

Thanks for sharing :giggle:
THanks @harlan4096
OK for MBAM real time but I'm too lazy and not enough geek for tweaking ESET HIPS, so I hope that ESET + NVT OSA is a good deal.

Hello MT' friends
Thanks for your advices and help.
My new configuration:
I just uninstalled (Windows Defender Browser Protection, minerBlock, Emsisoft Browser Security and Ghostery) and disabled MBAM realtime.
For real time only, only ESET IS + NVT OSA.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
My new configuration:
I just uninstalled (Windows Defender Browser Protection, minerBlock, Emsisoft Browser Security and Ghostery) and disabled MBAM realtime.
Glad everything is looking this way! Fantastic slimmed down config with robust protection!

~LDogg

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks @oldschool
I'm using Chrome browser.

THanks @harlan4096
OK for MBAM real time but I'm too lazy and not enough geek for tweaking ESET HIPS, so I hope that ESET + NVT OSA is a good deal.

Hello MT' friends
Thanks for your advices and help.
My new configuration:
ESET IS + NVT OSA is a sweet deal. Lightweight yet strong protection. I hope you are using an AdBlocker. If you're interested you can try out a free program that'll get alongside ESET and OSA. It's called Sandboxie. ;)

Reactions: show-Zi and JB007

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Please edit Your config to reflect the new changes, thanks :giggle:
Thanks @harlan4096 :)
Just edited and done the changes.

Glad everything is looking this way! Fantastic slimmed down config with robust protection!
~LDogg
Thanks @LDogg :)

ESET IS + NVT OSA is a sweet deal. Lightweight yet strong protection. I hope you are using an AdBlocker. If you're interested you can try out a free program that'll get alongside ESET and OSA. It's called Sandboxie. ;)
Thanks @devjit2018 :)
My AdBlocker is µBlock Origin with miners filters.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.