JioSecurity (Norton Mobile Security)

Do you use Norton Mobile Security on Android?

• Yes, Norton Security provided by NortonMobile

• Yes, Norton Security from other sources (like Jio)

• No, I use another Android AV

• Android AVs? Do we really need ..

Results are only viewable after voting.

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Play Store link: JioSecurity - Antivirus, App Advisor & Find Phone - Android Apps on Google Play
JioSecurity is basically Norton Mobile Security (for Android) delivered to Jio (Indian Carrier) SIM users as a 10-device subscription in all mobile plans. Hence, this review can be taken as a Norton Security review as well.

It features an 'App Advisor' powered by Norton Mobile Insight (that gives useful details about potential privacy issues and more, refer screenshots) & Norton AV engine that scored a 100% in AV-Tests July report.
Norton Mobile Security uses static and dynamic analysis, machine learning, and behavioral fingerprinting to identify and protect millions of users around the world. In addition to traditional protection, the App Advisor feature will warn users of malware and greyware while shopping for apps on Google Play.
It also includes safe-browsing, link scanner, contacts backup, anti-theft and call-blocking.
A lot of the provisions have been already mentioned in the 'Advantages' section above. I haven't tested the Anti-theft features yet.

My overall rating is primarily based on comparison of valuable features with other Android AVs.
Some features/detection/app advisor samples:
Screenshot_2017-06-25-13-09-28-300_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png Screenshot_2017-06-25-13-09-37-522_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png Screenshot_2017-09-03-23-12-22-043_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png Screenshot_2017-09-03-22-29-49-499_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png
Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-26-33-958_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-27-11-094_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-27-32-761_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png Screenshot_2017-06-24-19-04-17-783_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png Screenshot_2017-06-25-03-26-44-195_com.reliancejio.mobilesecurity.png Screenshot_2017-09-03-22-42-09-736_com.android.vending.png
Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-42-06-979_com.android.vending.png Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-44-45-071_com.android.vending.png Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-44-57-346_com.android.vending.png Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-46-07-466_com.android.vending.png Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-48-57-525_com.android.vending.png Screenshot_2017-06-24-18-50-00-976_com.android.vending.png
PS: It detected a system app (uninstall-able) from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 as malicious. I'm not very sure about this one!

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Norton Security has really improved their security software through the years. I will admit there are times that the software can become quite bulky, but that is on their PC side. Back on topic! Norton Security for Andriod is where it is at! I must say Iike this app and I have it on my device. Now, the question is... I also have Zemana on my device...! Zemana is quite nice as well! I may end up transferring my Zemana Pro license to another one of my devices as I don't want things to go goofy on me. Then again, I am quite safe as far as downloading applications onto my phone (not many that I am interested in downloading). Always use the Google Play store, use some common sense for permissions (as far as permissions go), use a reputable AV on your device that scans frequently, and you should be good to go!

I highly recommend Norton Mobile Security! Hasn't let me down yet. In my humble opinion the utilities, extras, scanning, and security are by far really good compared to other AV offerings out there on Google Play. I'd recommend trying out this app!

~Lightning_Brian

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Norton Security has really improved their security software through the years. I will admit there are times that the software can become quite bulky, but that is on their PC side. Back on topic! Norton Security for Andriod is where it is at! I must say Iike this app and I have it on my device. Now, the question is... I also have Zemana on my device...! Zemana is quite nice as well! I may end up transferring my Zemana Pro license to another one of my devices as I don't want things to go goofy on me. Then again, I am quite safe as far as downloading applications onto my phone (not many that I am interested in downloading). Always use the Google Play store, use some common sense for permissions (as far as permissions go), use a reputable AV on your device that scans frequently, and you should be good to go!

I highly recommend Norton Mobile Security! Hasn't let me down yet. In my humble opinion the utilities, extras, scanning, and security are by far really good compared to other AV offerings out there on Google Play. I'd recommend trying out this app!

~Lightning_Brian
Same here Brian! I've Zemana and Norton (by Jio) in my device alongside MI's inbuilt security (Avast+Tencent+AVL).
I use only Norton as the real-time AV for monitoring permissions/data theft, app changes and any suspicious activity (it is hard for us to determine what domain of behaviors different Android AVs can monitor). I occasionally scan with Zemana for unwanted keyloggers.

Somewhat scary are the simple yet innovative ways by which legit-looking apps from Play Store also turn out to be malicious/rogue or these download such apps and exploit system somehow. There have been quite a few news shared here regarding such attacks.
The complementary measures I use besides avoiding non-PlayStore apps are simply disabling unnecessary permissions as you mentioned and disabling in/outbound connections of non-trusted/temporary apps (that do not need a connection). Updates are another important measure in Android, though not all benefit due to delays or even worse..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.