Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Avast Free Antivirus (Moderate Hardened Mode), OSArmor 1.4.1
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Free 3.6.1 with Rootkit Scanning, Windows Defender Periodic, AdwCleaner

The following will be downloaded when necessary:
Norton Power Eraser
Hitman Pro

Bootable Avira Rescue System (In extreme cases)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome - Enhancer for Youtube, Netcraft, Nano Adblocker, HTTPS Everywhere, BTL, Decentralytes, Canvas Defender.
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner v5.51.6939, Sysinternals Autoruns & Sysinternals Process Explorer, Revo Uninstaller 2.0.6, SysHardener, WinDirStat, Patch My PC Home Updater 4.1.0.1
File and Photo backup
USB Flash Drive, and External Portable HDD.
System recovery
Macrium Reflect 7 Free
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/my-pc.86407/

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Welcome to MT! Setup looks good. Have you tried Nano Adblocker to compare it to uBO? You'll find great resources here on the forum.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Please look into backup software such as Aomei Backupper and Macrium Reflect. The rest of your config has the basics coverd. Just have good browsing habits!

~LDogg

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Welcome to MT! Setup looks good. Have you tried Nano Adblocker to compare it to uBO? You'll find great resources here on the forum.

Hi, no i have not tried that. I am just a simple person who randomly came across this website and saw a lot of people using uBO, therefore i just ended up copying them as it seems to be the general choice to go for compared to Adblock Plus.

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Please look into backup software such as Aomei Backupper and Macrium Reflect. The rest of your config has the basics coverd. Just have good browsing habits!

~LDogg
Thanks :). I will have a look but i have never used a backup software, typically i just put all my important files, which there is very few of onto a USB drive, or my 2TB secondary drive.

Also, Avast installed the internet security extension on to Chrome, is this necessary?

Many Thanks :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@JiSingh12:

- Probably You don't need Malwarebytes Premium Trial with Rootkit Scanning, if You have Avast Free (Hardened Mode), I will keep it for on demand scans.

- I would uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware...

- Add a Disk Imaging Backup: Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper are free and reliable.

- Some users say Avast browse add-on is not necessary and is bloatware...

Please kindly announce in this thread any change You do in the config, thanks for sharing :giggle:

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
@harlan4096:

I did not have Avast on hardened mode, however, i have now put it on, and left it on moderate.

What do you think about using MB Anti-Rootkit BETA for on demand scans?

Also what is the general idea around the following programs - ComboFix, RKill, TDSSKiller, and RogueKiller? Are these needed or necessary?, or is Hitman Pro, Avast, and Malwarebytes enough?

Reactions: harlan4096

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
What do you think about using MB Anti-Rootkit BETA for on demand scans?
I think You don't need it, Avast Free has its own anti-exploit technology, also keep well updated Your system and applications :giggle:

ComboFix, RKill, TDSSKiller, and RogueKiller
Most of them are to threat an infected system and may damage it if You don't proceed with caution and knowledge...

Hitman Pro, Avast, and Malwarebytes enough?
Yes, They are enough for on demands scans...

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
@harlan4096:

Great :). I have switched Avast to hardened mode then, and i have left MB Anti Rootkit BETA uninstalled.

You said to uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware, but i thought that was a well regarded program, can you explain why you would uninstall it?

I will leave Combofix and the rest deleted until i feel like i may have an infected system and need to use them.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
SAS has lost prominence in recent times, there are some discussions in this forum You can search, but it seems it only finds cookies and little else until become almost useless, and You already have MalwareBytes that for sure will find more PUP/PUA/Adware than SAS...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender Periodic scan is NOT real-time protection. Please move to Virus/Removal Scanning Tools.

Use a Password Manager to help store, check secure your credentials safely. LastPass can check if you sensitive data was involved in any security breaches, so it's worth migrating your passwords to one of these services.
LastPass
Bitwarden

SuperAntiSpyware was great 10 years ago. AdwCleaner (owned by Malwarebytes) can find more Adware than SAS, or better yet don't install PUA in the first place.

Get a system backup in place so you don't have to depend on Virus removal tools to remove your mistakes.

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Update:

Updated Security Updates to download and Install security & feature updates automatically

Added Avast Online Security as an extension, but may delete it.

Moved WD Periodic to Virus/Removal scanning section, & removed SAS following comments.

Added LastPass as a credential/password manager.

Made a system restore image with built-in Windows tool for now.

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Moving forward. Some nice additions to your setup. How are you in terms of browsing habits? I find that bookmarking anything specific such as your ebay account etc, can help. Sometimes this may not be needed though!

Setups are always a journey, it's nice to know where they go at times

~LDogg

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
@LDogg

My browsing habits are quite good. YouTube, eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, job sites, & so on. I don't visit sites that get flagged by Avast or Malwarebytes, but 99% of the time i stick to known sites.

I did have TOR at one point but not anymore.

Setups are a journey like my life, however my life is a thing I have any clue at all about, sadly :(

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Update:

Added uBlock Origin to Microsoft Edge.
Added ConfigureDefender to System Utilities? Set on "Defender high settings", not sure if necessary as Defender is not running in real-time.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Update:

Added uBlock Origin to Microsoft Edge.
Added ConfigureDefender to System Utilities? Set on "Defender high settings", not sure if necessary as Defender is not running in real-time.

Nano Adblocker is a better and based on uBO. Also, regardless of which extension you use, you might want to learn about Advanced User Medium Mode - which the developer considers to be the optimal way to utilize it.

You would only need Configure Defender for real time settings if you decide to use Windows Defender. It has no effect on periodic scanning since this is not real time.

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
Nano Adblocker is a better and based on uBO. You might want to learn about Advanced User Medium Mode.

You would only need Configure Defender for real time settings. It has no effect on periodic scanning since this is not real time.

Nano Adblocker was one I was looking at before i installed uBlock, but wasn't sure. I'm quite a beginner when it comes to this stuff.
Advanced User Medium Mode. Understood, would have to look into it.

Shall I just uninstall configure defender then? WD is only used for periodic scans but I thought it may help the scans be more in depth.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nano Adblocker was one I was looking at before i installed uBlock, but wasn't sure. I'm quite a beginner when it comes to this stuff.
Advanced User Medium Mode. Understood, would have to look into it.

Shall I just uninstall configure defender then? WD is only used for periodic scans but I thought it may help the scans be more in depth.

Check this out as it will get you started on Medium Mode, and parts of it are funny too! There is a slight learning curve involved in learning Medium Mode but it's easy to get the hang of it. You just have to play with it for awhile. I had to revisit the video and the developer's website as I wished to learn more about it. Enjoy!

It doesn't hurt to keep Configure Defender around but it won't help with the periodic scanning. If you have no plans whatsoever to use WD as real time protection in the future, then you might as well uninstall.

Reactions: harlan4096

JiSingh12

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2018
@oldschool - thanks for the suggestions. have to uninstall configure defender. Probably won't use WD as real-time, as I guess Avast in Hardened mode provides better security on a whole, if I need to, I can download it again.

UPDATE :
- uBlock Origin
- Configure Defender (doesn't help with periodic scanning)

+ Netcraft
+ Nano Adblocker
+ Nano Defender

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.