Jota13 config.

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Emsisoft AntiMalware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware Premium, Xvirus Personal Firewall, Spy Shelter Premium, Mc Shield, WinPatrol, Zemana AntiMalware, and Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Free. I again installed Adguard Premium- annual license.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes AntiMalware Premium, Zemana AntiMalware.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox, Pale Moon, Cyberfox and others; no script, WOT, track me not, groowe serch toolbar, flash killer, classic theme restorer, disconnect, McAfee Web Advisor, Dr.Web Anti- Virus Link Checker, Flagfox, Netcraft Anti- Phishing Toolbar, Quick Java, Personas Plus, Themes Menu, FlipClock, Better Privacy, All-in One Sidebar, and many others. I also use uBlock origin. Google Chrome: script safe, WOT, Adguard extension, track me not, etc. etc.
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner (sometimes I clean errors in Windows registry), Ashampoo Win Optimizer 14, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, Auslogics Registry Cleaner- I rarely use them.
I

illumination

Hey Jota,
You are certainly not the first person to ever be a member here and have a system comprised of mainly security products ;) Some members including a couple staff "cough,cough" have run some of the most burdened computers in history :D

That said, something that needs to be brought to attention is the fact that too many security products can be just as much as a vulnerability as not having enough. With bugs and problems of 3rd party software, you can in fact render the system vulnerable.

I certainly do understand your concern with other members seeing the "at risk" above your thread. Your reason for leaving the system without a login password is understandable. Something i would not personally change for the sake of not having "the badge", but i would seriously consider removing some of those security applications, to lessen the burden of resources on your system and also to take away the over lapping possible vulnerabilities.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
Unfortunately, I already liked this forum, but I don't like exaggerated criticism. :(

Eh, I have Adguard Premium with six month license and annual license of Heimdal Pro, that I here won...

I don't know is Adguard Premium is needed... Once I uninstalled it...

illumination, please try understand me: in my opinion password is needed when somebody want to protect computer from unauthorized access. In my home only I use both computers: my and my Mom's laptop. Nobody in my home hacks my computer...

And I changing password to configuration page of my rooter because was to simply. :oops:

I

illumination

illumination, please try understand me: in my opinion password is needed when somebody want to protect computer from unauthorized access. In my home only I use both computers: my and my Mom's laptop. Nobody in my home hacks my computer...

I think you misunderstood my post above.. I agreed that you "should not" put a password on your login, so your mom can gain access without issue.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
Sorry, I misunderstood your statement. :oops:

My English is to poor...

Hmm, I should uninstall Agdguard Premium or I should kept it?

Yep, I have good computer with good processor and 8 GB RAM. :)

I'd love to get my mother wanted to learn how to use a computer, although her laptop. :(

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Jota13

Thank you for sharing your security setup.If you are comfortable and feel secure with it, then all is good.The community will certainly be always here with lots of ideas on improvements/solutions but yes we cannot force anybody.It is also understood certain external situations may influence user habits (such as yours).

However, please keep in mind MT is a vast community where new members and guests are continuously browsing the forums so the tags like : PC: take caution, or At Risk are meant for their safety, so that they can understand under what situation you are using this setup, before they might copy it. Not everyone has same circumstances as yours, and what works for you might not work for others.

I hope you understand :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Really nice, I live with my Mom and two cats. :p

But who can turn on my computer? Just me... Please without paranoia.
Here is a shocker! I don't have a login Password/PIN on my desktop at home.Unless the two Shih tzu's have been taking a computer course I highly doubt they are going to turn it on and compromise my security.Especially without a dog treat first and honing their fine paw motor skills.
My wife and daughter have their own mine is off limits.Trust me there is no security risk there,they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them
What about a home invasion? Dead men tell no tales

UAC & SmartScreen...yes but a login password/Pin depends on the circumstances

Unless your cats have been brushing up on their Computer skills and the use of a mouse (no pun intended) and keyboard I don't see why the At Risk moniker cannot be removed.

I will say this though....I am going to clean up this thread.

All post that have nothing constructive about @jota13 Security Config will be removed

We do not need member moderation and we don't need sarcastic comments directed towards any member.

Remember there are some members who use translators which are not always correct

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Every member is free to set up his system security as they wish, we just give advices, not blames; after it is to the member to decide to follow them or not. If they won't , it is fine , after all it is their computer, not ours.

But there is some basics to a secure system and i won't change my rating; if @jota13 feels ok with his setup , im ok. I won't force him to change his setup, but don't ask me to change my rating to safe. ;)

Stuntmen do risky things , but it doesn't mean they must stop their job because people say it is dangerous.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
For a long time I ran my system with uac disabled, windows 7 and partially windows 8.
I have it now enabled because I'm just lazy to remove it.
Password yes I have one but automatically logs into the system. Like exterminator system mine is off limits.
All my important docs etc are backed up on eHDDs so in the rare case my system gets compromise ill deal with it when time comes.

@jota13 has a decent config.
She said she has adguard and heimsal pro. I use heimdal pro without autopatch function. Adguard has standard settings with some lists used but that's about it.

If you are comfortable with your current setup, just because label says at risk or take caution doesn't mean it doesn't work for you. If you are happy then its all it matters.

If you want advice we will help you like I just answered about adguard and heimdal.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I agree with @jota13 regarding not having a login password. if there's noone else who has physical access to the computer who can use it then I think the benefits of a password are limited. Even with a password, it only takes a few minutes to reset (may differ slightly for W10). I would enable UAC and smartscreen though.

I also think some of the comments to the OP have been rather unpleasant too. I seem to recall reading one last night that seems to have been deleted from someone who wasn't even a mod saying they didn't need to listen to the OP anymore and putting up a sign saying PC At Risk. Very unMalwaretips.

Last edited:

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
@jota13 has a decent config.
She said she has adguard and heimsal pro. I use heimdal pro without autopatch function. Adguard has standard settings with some lists used but that's about it.

If you are comfortable with your current setup, just because label says at risk or take caution doesn't mean it doesn't work for you. If you are happy then its all it matters.

If you want advice we will help you like I just answered about adguard and heimdal.

Inkurax, thank you very much. :) I also use Heimdal Pro without auto-patching function, because I had problem with updating Firefox especially when one nice gentleman from computer service installed me first 32-bit version of this browser, and later I installed it 64-bit version, sometimes I had two versions of Firefox: 32- and 64-bit; and I don't need services to update Adobe Flash Player- I update them manually. Java I also update manually, and my Internet Browsers.

I think I use Adguard Premium with standard settings, but without https filtering, because I had problem with entering to the websites with https. Maybe now this works well?

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I suggest you to replace fire fox with Yandex browser, Yandex browser is safe version of chrome and have more add on than Fire Fox.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
There is no issue.
No uac/password in this case is not a security issue.

Inkurax I enabled UAC, with default settings. I think this is good idea to keep this function.

On my Mom's laptop I also will use default settings of UAC.

I think: PC: Take Caution it can be, because not all live in the house with a person who doesn't know how to operate computers.

Not everyone living with a person who doesn't hacks the computer.

And I have to many security software, and on some computers, this security configuration can cause malfunctions.

I tested this configuration, and I really like Spy Shelter Premium, Malwarebytes AntiMalware Premium and even Zemana AntiMalware and I want to keep them.

Thank you very much for that you share with me your opinion.

N

Noxx

I suggest you to replace fire fox with Yandex browser, Yandex browser is safe version of chrome and have more add on than Fire Fox.

Why exactly do you think Yandex is "safer" than Chrome native? Chrome native will always be safer than any copycat version.

Reactions: Alkajak and omidomi

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011

I had on my computer Yandex Browser and it works well, but I turn on it rarely and I uninstalled it. I think this browser isn't bad but I prefer Firefox, especially with no script, WOT, uBlock Origin, etc., etc.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I had on my computer Yandex Browser and it works well, but I turn on it rarely and I uninstalled it. I think this browser isn't bad but I prefer Firefox, especially with no script, WOT, uBlock Origin, etc., etc.
all of these add on works on yandex also :rolleyes:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Why exactly do you think Yandex is "safer" than Chrome native? Chrome native will always be safer than any copycat version.
because i trust yandex more than google :D

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011

I also think that Google Chrome is better than browsers based on it, but I hate this auto-update services. I can use it portable version, and update it manually. Whether it would be a good idea?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.