Jota13 config.

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Emsisoft AntiMalware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware Premium, Xvirus Personal Firewall, Spy Shelter Premium, Mc Shield, WinPatrol, Zemana AntiMalware, and Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Free. I again installed Adguard Premium- annual license.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes AntiMalware Premium, Zemana AntiMalware.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox, Pale Moon, Cyberfox and others; no script, WOT, track me not, groowe serch toolbar, flash killer, classic theme restorer, disconnect, McAfee Web Advisor, Dr.Web Anti- Virus Link Checker, Flagfox, Netcraft Anti- Phishing Toolbar, Quick Java, Personas Plus, Themes Menu, FlipClock, Better Privacy, All-in One Sidebar, and many others. I also use uBlock origin. Google Chrome: script safe, WOT, Adguard extension, track me not, etc. etc.
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner (sometimes I clean errors in Windows registry), Ashampoo Win Optimizer 14, Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, Auslogics Registry Cleaner- I rarely use them.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
Sorry, but I'm not paranoic. I use rooter, with enabled Mac filtering. UAC always notified me about my actions on my computer. I have problem only with Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer that working in background, without my permission. :/ I don't work in any company exposed to hacker attacks. I don't enter on any dangerous website and I don't download malware on my computer.

I don't want to provoke any hackers to attack, but I don't have a paranoia.

And I don't need smart screen because my default Internet browser is Firefox. I don't use unsecured Internet Explorer. (I rarely run this browser.)

D

Deleted member 178

UAC always notified me about my actions on my computer.

By disabling UAC , you disable other important OS built-in protection.

I don't work in any company exposed to hacker attacks.
I really don't need password protection of my account, because I'm the only user of my computer.

but anyone else visiting your house can compromise you.

I don't enter on any dangerous website and I don't download malware on my computer.

You can be infected via legit websites too.

And I don't need smart screen because my default Internet browser is Firefox. I don't use unsecured Internet Explorer. (I rarely run this browser.)

On Win10 , Smartscreen is system-wide , not just on browsers like it used to be on Win7.

If you feel you are safe , so good for you .

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
but anyone else visiting your house can compromise you.

I'm sorry, but I find that the older ladies who visit my mother, don't hacked my computer. ;) Besides, my mother can not even turn on the computer ... I don't have too many friends. :(

You can be infected via legit websites too.

I use no script in Firefox... And also I use dicsonnect, uBlock Origin, Adguard Premium (six month license :( ), McAfee Web Advisor, WOT, Dr.Web Anti- Virus Link Checker, etc.

On Win10 , Smartscreen is system-wide , not just on browsers like it used to be on Win7.

OK, you convinced me to turn on the smart screen.

But I really hate UAC...

On Windows 10 I disabled WiFi Sense, and I added optout to name of my network, or something like that.

If you feel you are safe , so good for you .

More often, I drove the system to the point that it was necessary to reinstall it, no virus that has never done that.

Sorry for my poor English. :(

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@jota13: I understand your sentiments and we have our own view that yes we may not be infected or fall in such 'traps'. The reason where your configuration rated as risk is because of the criteria which should base on the standard procedure.

A fair enough for other users to see and compare the configuration on what are do's and don't s.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
Let me guess, even if I activated UAC, my PC will be at Risk. :/

I don't need to protect my account password, because only I know how to use a computer.

I really don't have paranoia.

And on configuration page of my rooter I changing default password. I use portable Wireless Network Watcher to check to see if someone unauthorized isn't hooked up to my WiFi.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
Yeah, I activated UAC, and SmartScreen to test it... And my PC is still at Risk. :/

But, because I'm only user of my PC, I don't have many friends, I don't protected password my account.

My mother even don't can turn on my computer or her laptop.

I use Mac filtering in my rooter and so far no one broke into my WiFi network.

Sorry, I respect your opinion, but I know that I don't need password protected account.

I live alone with my Mom, who before yesterday finished over seventy years ... I can see how she suddenly hack my computer. : /

OK, now let's finish this debate, you can write that my computer is at risk, but isn't.

I think my computer don't was at risk, even I disabled UAC, because I know what I should doing. :/

Reactions: upnorth

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Yeah, I activated UAC, and SmartScreen to test it... And my PC is still at Risk. :/

My mother even don't can turn on my computer or her laptop.

I use Mac filtering in my rooter and so far no one broke into my WiFi network.

Sorry, I respect your opinion, but I know that I don't need password protected account.

I live alone with my Mom, who before yesterday finished over seventy years ... I can see how she suddenly hack my computer
I imagine some kind of waiver should be added under certain circumstances such as yours.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
OK, I have ceased to care about your opinion. :(

I probably will disable UAC, because I don't need tool that blocks running Task Manager; Microsoft Management Console, System security settings, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

What do you think about locking secure tools, without being able to remember your decision?

Edit:

Ok, I changing setting to default: react when software want to change your system settings.

Edit 2:

I think that's enough because I'm not completely ignorant, even though a lot of things I don't know.

Last edited:

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
Edit: A much more simple analogy. Disabling UAC is like keeping your home's door open at all times. A lot of good people will not enter, but eventually an intruder will step inside.

I don't disabled UAC... I only changing this setting to default. I live in Poland, not in Germany, China, or USA- I think those countries are more vulnerable to hacker attacks.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
But since I have enabled hated by me, UAC, and SmartScreen I'm less vulnerable to hacker attacks.

But I'm right.

But I have very good anti- keylogger- Spy Shelter Premium, and Zemana Anti-Malware, and I use good anti- Virus Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and Zone Alarm Firewall and my computer isn't without security.

Please, no exaggeration.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
Yeah, I read the other security configuration, and other users also have UAC enabled, with default setting, and their computers were not considered endangered.

I only don't use password protect of my account because my Mom don't even can turn on my computer and her laptop.

Edit: and I regularly update my computer.

Edit 2:

Yeah, Alkajak, if that I use default settings in UAC, makes that my PC is at risk, your is also:

Alkajak's Config

1. Operating System:
    • Windows 10
    OS Edition:
    Pro
    OS Build:
    OS Architecture:
    64-bit
    User Access Control:
Edit 3: I really don't need password protected account because I live only with my Mom, who don't even can turn on my computer and her laptop.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

The thing about UAC, Smartscreen and Login password is that, those things are integrated for a good reason into windows system for protecting your activities and as long as they are into windows, they should be used. For example, if you remove EVERYTHING from realtime protection and set UAC to MAX, Smartsceen to ON, and login password ON and Windows Defender ON, you will be more protected than you are now. The thing about password protection is not "who can access my PC or i am living alone with my dog and PC is stationary". Its system wide protection from the PC start. But i do like that you make daily backups and thats a big +. Be open minded and don't take any advices given as personal attacks, because MalwareTips is all about helping each other and share opinions about PC security.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
The thing about password protection is not "who can access my PC or i am living alone with my dog and PC is stationary". Its system wide protection from the PC start.

Really nice, I live with my Mom and two cats. :p

But who can turn on my computer? Just me... Please without paranoia.

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
I haven't seen such a overkill for years :D

Who exaggerating? Sorry my English is to poor.

Yes, I feel attacked and unjustly criticized.

I thought that this forum is a nice place. :(

Rather, I was wrong. :(

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Mate, nobody is attacking you, stop taking it personal. People are trying to understand your security setup and need for all stockpiled security products when you don't even use pre-installed windows security features.

Reactions: enaph and Alkajak

jota13

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
...when you don't even use pre-installed windows security features.

Davids, I think you don't even well read my first post in this topic: I enabled UAC with default setting, I enabled SmartScreen, I only don't protect password my account. I use third party Firewall and I enabled Firewall in my rooter.

I daily, ever hour, automalicaly create backup.

My PC it's not a RISK.

And I manually but regularly update my system.

A

Alkajak

No one I called a troll. I said simply that I don't feel good in this forum, because I feel criticized and ill-judged.

It is not our intention to make you feel that way, there was no judgment and the criticism was only of the constructive kind.

If you would prefer that this be your security configuration showcase rather than have staff and members comment their thoughts and concerns on your configuration, just say so. I'm sure they would understand the purpose of this thread. You can edit your original post to reflect that as well.

Just remember that this is a malware tips forum and that we are here to help. We would never purposely misinform you.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
@jota13 if you post your security config in this thread then you should keep it in mind that it will be judged because that is what this section is made for. The other thing is that how you can handle when others judge your config other than you expected.
And believe me - MT is one of the most user friendly security related forums so do your thing and enjoy your stay here ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.