Battle K7 vs Kaspersky Free vs Panda Cloud vs Webroot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compare list
K7 - Kaspersky Free - Panda cloud - ( Webroot cough cough !)

electroplate

Thread author
Apr 7, 2022
hello all this is my first post after years of reading this site. have used av progs free/paid and separate hips/firewalls going back to drive sentry days on XP . I used cloud and resident through win 10 and now 11 i have reached a wall . my main focus is performance ...i do a lot of video editing/mastering authoring and audio processing using everyday software . i have a lenovo ideacentre3 with 8gb ram . works fine but is sensitive to av progs . i have narrowed my single choice between K7Premium Kaspersky Free and Panda Cloud . panda is a pig to uninstall and K7 can be awkward too but they all work well . can i have opinions from your experiences and knowledge please . i am a safe safe surfer and i use browser site inspectors from mcafee and avg . may i mention that webroot works well but have doubts. webroot would be a final resort because it is so hard to uninstall. i would like to stop pondering avs now i am 67 years so i value all advice from all of you . many thanks .

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Wisevector StopX x2

(Worth to remember it doesnt yet register in Security Center, so you have to disable Windows Defender using an tool like DefenderControl, and its still in development so you may experience bugs)

Reactions: Sorrento

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Your choice probably comes down to the least hassle to deal with. When I ran Comodo it was very light on resources apart from cavwp (Web Protection) which you could disable.
1662728498679.png
But I actually think you may consider Microsoft Defender. It's resources run about 130mb constant but it's also integrated into the system and managed by the system resources. I guess some launching of programs have been a little slow in the past but less so these days and a good set and forget, particularly good when paired with @Andy Ful 's ConfigureDefender and his other tools like SWH & H_C. But go with what works for you.
1662728938217.png

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
My advice is WiseVector StopX. It is light.
I could recommend others but this is the way :D
Combined with NextDns or Quad9 you are gonna be fine!
Was the WiseVector and Windows Defender thing fixed? Since if you have Windows 11 then you will just add another layer of defense (and thus slowness) to Windows Defender since Windows doesn't recognize WiseVector as an AV so it keeps WD on full.

Reactions: Sorrento

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Was the WiseVector and Windows Defender thing fixed? Since if you have Windows 11 then you will just add another layer of defense (and thus slowness) to Windows Defender since Windows doesn't recognize WiseVector as an AV so it keeps WD on full.
No idea because I use the old Win 10, so I have no problem with it. However, it is easy to turn WD off permanently.
O&O Shut up or Group policy for example do the job for you.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
VoodooShield , Lightweight easy on the system Fast and very secure, Takes a bit of time to learn how to use it but once it's up and running you're pretty much done,

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
K7 is as light as they get, I got a licence from FleaBay for a pittance otherwise I would use F-Secure & certainly avoid Panda totally :)

Reactions: Back3

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
I like Defender too the last year or so with ConfigureDefender settings at max, Comodo free firewall with cruelsister settings, and CheckMal AppCheck. I used Bitdefender free for decades and when I tried it a few weeks ago it knocked my large file transfer speed (backup platter drive > external USB SSD drive) from 320MBps down to 84MBps. This would probably be important, or at the least less annoying, with the large files involved in video editing/mastering authoring and audio processing. As a side note I also noticed my transfer speeds (with Defender) have incrementally inched up the last few Windows 11 updates.

Reactions: Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I like Defender too the last year or so with ConfigureDefender settings at max, Comodo free firewall with cruelsister settings, and CheckMal AppCheck. I used Bitdefender free for decades and when I tried it a few weeks ago it knocked my large file transfer speed (backup platter drive > external USB SSD drive) from 320MBps down to 84MBps. This would probably be important, or at the least less annoying, with the large files involved in video editing/mastering authoring and audio processing. As a side note I also noticed my transfer speeds (with Defender) have incrementally inched up the last few Windows 11 updates.
Bitdefender can be a consumer depending on the use of your computer.
Of course, its Phanton function helps a lot with RAM consumption, but it is insufficient for the rest... I had the trick when Bitdefender made me slow down the processing of my videos on Filmora....

Microsoft Defender is more than enough for many people. With DefenderUI to sharpen its settings and a Wisevector or Voodooshield, you will have an excellent protection :)

electroplate

Thread author
Apr 7, 2022
ok thank you all for advice . i have turned off Defender with Defender Control. installed Next DNS and Wisevector. Light and fast . Adding K7 has kept everything running smooth. Should use Appcheck too or am i covered from Ransomeware ?

electroplate

Thread author
Apr 7, 2022
thanks for all your advice . using wisevector and Next DNS with no probs . mods please close . cheers .

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.