Advice Request Kaspersky 2017 - Trusted Application Mode

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Hi,

I am just trying to determine if "Trusted Application Mode" is better enabled or disabled. I have a couple of work programs on my PC which unfortunately are unsigned and i dont want to have a situation of blocked access.

I am running Total Security 2017.

Any help from fellow users would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
You can't manually allow the unsigned apps? I thought you could :)

I havent enabled it yet but i wanted to check before i did. I does look like you can manually change/add programs to trusted mode from the description they give on the website. Whilst writing this, I have now enabled it and its sifting through my PC to see if its suitable for trusted application mode !

Reactions: Wave

I havent enabled it yet but i wanted to check before i did. I does look like you can manually change/add programs to trusted mode from the description they give on the website. Whilst writing this, I have now enabled it and its sifting through my PC to see if its suitable for trusted application mode !

You are only going to learn by doing it yourself...

Reactions: harlan4096

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if TAM moves your favorite unsigned software to low restricted, then:
1 you might find that it works perfectly well in low restricted, so there's no problem
2 if it doesn't work right, you can move it back to trusted in a couple clicks.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Well the report came up with 81 unknown file types and recommended i did NOT continue. If i were to continue, does it simply provide a list of blocked files to unblock ?

Wingman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 6, 2017
Well the report came up with 81 unknown file types and recommended i did NOT continue. If i were to continue, does it simply provide a list of blocked files to unblock ?

Once the scan has been completed ,click "Manage applications" and adjust restrictions for the 81 applications.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Well something just happened which i wasn't expecting. When i first ran the enable TAM mode it recommended i did not continue so i quit. I ran it again to explore the blocked files but when i checked the enable progress, it had reached 100% and decided itself to enable so i did not get a choice !

At least i know where the disable button is is case its a bit wobbly

Reactions: PCGamer

Well something just happened which i wasn't expecting. When i first ran the enable TAM mode it recommended i did not continue so i quit. I ran it again to explore the blocked files but when i checked the enable progress, it had reached 100% and decided itself to enable so i did not get a choice !

I think that unexpected behavior is a known quirk. There's a few TAM quirks. Some GUI bugs.

Ask @harlan4096 - he would remember better than I. With his help I submitted a bunch of reports to K.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014

Did you click "Enable", instead of "Turn on and scan all installed applications"? Maybe that's expected, if you clicked "Enable", instead of the other.

Also, given that you're usually using unsigned, assuming not-so-popular too, applications, then it's really recommended that you let TAM be disabled. TAM will just annoy you, for you have to go to a few screens just to get your applications run.

Nevertheless, I've read somewhere that TAM would automatically turn on after a few days/weeks, if it has determined that all of your programs are whitelisted in KSN and that you are not installing "unknown" applications during its monitoring. :)

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you trust what you have on your system, you can bulk-allow those 81 processes. Give them a look over before you do, but if you have a safe and secure system and you trust your software, you won't be in for any surprises.

Anyways, those 81 processes probably fell into the low restricted category, which gives enough permissions for a standard program to run. It just prevents them from messing with core Windows components.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
If you trust what you have on your system, you can bulk-allow those 81 processes. Give them a look over before you do, but if you have a safe and secure system and you trust your software, you won't be in for any surprises.
Totally agree...
Nevertheless, I've read somewhere that TAM would automatically turn on after a few days/weeks, if it has determined that all of your programs are whitelisted in KSN and that you are not installing "unknown" applications during its monitoring. :)
o_O:eek: I never heard about it and never got such behaviour from TAM in any of my systems!!!!

IHMO I always choose "Turn on and scan all installed applications", it will take sooo long for sure (be quite patient :oops:), disable all external drives because I guess it will even scan them...

In this link, although related to 2015 version, still valid and shows better the process: How to enable or disable the Trusted Applications mode in Kaspersky Internet Security 2015

It will always find some untrusted (maybe because not digitally signed or not in KSN, many of them sometimes even belonging to Microsoft system), but as said in previous posts, if You know are or trust them You can tick them as trusted, and finally once You ticked as trusted of kept some of them as blocked all the remaining files, You should click on Enabled TAM by default.

From time to time, You will get some applications or plugins (and some new files) used by trusted applications also blocked and You'll have to let them Start via Application Control -> Start column or going to TAM -> Manage Blockings...

In general I recommend TAM enabled for advanced users and/or high risk environments...

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
@harlan4096
I found the source: About Trusted Applications mode
The help file says, "Trusted Applications mode is enabled automatically if Kaspersky Internet Security analysis of the operating system and installed applications reveals that mostly trusted applications are used on the computer."

So, my previous statement wasn't accurate after all because the help file says "most" applications, instead of "all" applications, and that there's no mention of "if there are no 'unknown' during monitoring". Nevertheless, I'm glad I'm correct that TAM would automatically turn on. I thought I was imagining things. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.