Battle Kaspersky Anti-Banner or Adblock Plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
The kaspersky after installation includes several browser add-ons and one of them is the Anti-Banner.

The question is: I have Adblock Plus add-on installed, I keep it or disable it? Which one has the best performance?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I haven't used Kaspersky's Anti-Banned, but I can suggest µBlock or AdBlock are better alternates to AdBlock Plus. And I've tried both AdBlock and µBlock and found both memory usage to be identical, however µBlock claims to block more content.

Check out µBlock efficiency compared to ABP: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/µBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

Another thread about µBlock on LifeHacker: http://lifehacker.com/ublock-is-a-fast-and-lightweight-alternative-to-adblock-1625246461

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I haven't used Kaspersky's Anti-Banned, but I can suggest µBlock or AdBlock are better alternates to AdBlock Plus. And I've tried both AdBlock and µBlock and found both memory usage to be identical, however µBlock claims to block more content.

Check out µBlock efficiency compared to ABP: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/µBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

Another thread about µBlock on LifeHacker: http://lifehacker.com/ublock-is-a-fast-and-lightweight-alternative-to-adblock-1625246461

Looks good, but i have firefox µBlock not is compatible.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014

legendcampos

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Bluhell Firewall is just the name, it's just an adblocker, not an actual firewall so there should be no conflict ;)

I liked him, I will test for a while, is reduced memory consumption firefox.

About the Anti-Banner was unable disable it in the browser, even in the progam.

Adblock is stronger your list blocked, also the memory consumption high.

tucfawa

Level 1
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
And I've tried both AdBlock and µBlock and found both memory usage to be identical, however µBlock claims to block more content.

I can't make sense of this.

In all the tests, without exception, AdBlock systematically consumes way more memory than uBlock, and also almost twice than Adblock Plus. There is just no comparison.

I just did a screenshot of both, AdBlock with EasyList, EasyPrivacy, and uBlock with EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Peter Lowe's + all Fanboy's lists (Social, annoyances, enhanced, etc.) and all hosts file-based lists, and here is what I got after forcing garbage collection after both extensions were launched:

asdf.png

And the difference get worst quick when you start to browse web pages.

tucfawa

Level 1
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
AdGuard even lighter.
No it's not. I am at a lost to understand why people are so eager to propagate myths rather than just stick to describing reality.

Here, I ensured I am comparing apples with apples, i.e. SAME LISTS, and I forced garbage collection on both extensions:
ag-ub.png

Settings:
ag.png ub.png

And Adguard tags you with a unique id, and track your browsing history if you enable "Malware, phising protection". They changed their code to make it less obvious (no longer logged in console), but it's still all there, it can be seen from the dev network tab.

Edit: after I posted I realized I had forgotten to uncheck "Activate the most appropriate filters automatically", so I did this, restarted the browser, and now I can't get better than this for Adguard, even after forcing garbage collection:

ag2.png

So for you to obtain the memory footprint shown in your thumbnail I strongly suspect it's because the setting "Activate the most appropriate filters automatically" delays the loading of filters until Adguard has identified which filters are relevant to the user given what web pages they browse (language, or something). No too long after I posted, I received a notification from Adguard telling me it has selected the English filters, implying they were not parsed/enforced when I took my original screenshot. Now they seems parsed and enforced even if I deselected them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.