Kaspersky Antivirus Free gone?

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Which CPU? using MS HyperVisor or any MS feature that needs it? HW Virt. Support enabled in BIOS?

I've tried installing Hypervisor, I've tried disabling Core Isolation (which itself uses virtualization). And yes, it's enabled in BIOS as well as in software. This is the first time any application has ever bitched about virtualization not being supported which makes me believe Kaspersky is being an ass here, not my CPU or the system.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
MS Hypervisor should be off, also any other MS tool that uses it such as HyperV, W10 SandBox and so on...

For now I don't see any other user forum here getting the same issue than You with K2020, nor in Kaspersky Community... do You have Secure Boot enabled?

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
MS Hypervisor should be off, also any other MS tool that uses it such as HyperV, W10 SandBox and so on...

For now I don't see any other user forum here getting the same issue than You with K2020, nor in Kaspersky Community... do You have Secure Boot enabled?

Yeah well, I don't know what is the reason. Core i7 5820K is not "that" old given people run way older stuff. Virtualization is enabled and all other software can use it fine, be it VM machines or even avast! which i know uses VM for its features. I wouldn't take casual consumers as very reliable source of info. Most don't even know what virtualization even is, let alone know why AV is showing "not supported" message. Not to mention most systems come with Virtualization disabled by default.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I get to that page too since I have links on my blog. But when I click DOWNLOAD NOW it just does nothing.

I have Kaspersky Cloud 2020 installed, but it's terrible. Bitching about all the extras they have that I don't want ANY of them. And for some reason my CPU doesn't have the virtualization they want for some reason, even though all other apps can use virtualization that I have. Bizarre product...

There is the RejZor as we know him (y) always puts his finger on features or user interface which were added for marketing in stead of (seamless) protection reasons :)

• HaHa
Reactions: AtlBo and oldschool

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yeah well, I don't know what is the reason. Core i7 5820K is not "that" old given people run way older stuff. Virtualization is enabled and all other software can use it fine, be it VM machines or even avast! which i know uses VM for its features. I wouldn't take casual consumers as very reliable source of info. Most don't even know what virtualization even is, let alone know why AV is showing "not supported" message. Not to mention most systems come with Virtualization disabled by default.
Can You please, upload a screen-shot of the exact warning You are getting? thanks.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Can You please, upload a screen-shot of the exact warning You are getting? thanks.

Kaspersky_HW_Virtualization.png

I'm using Core i7 5820K and I'm not running any other virtualization app. Virtualization stuff is enabled properly and works in every single app except Kaspersky. I've also tried some trick posted on Kaspersky forums and it didn't work (disabling and re-enabling virtualization while having kaspersky installed).

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
View attachment 218223

I'm using Core i7 5820K and I'm not running any other virtualization app. Virtualization stuff is enabled properly and works in every single app except Kaspersky. I've also tried some trick posted on Kaspersky forums and it didn't work (disabling and re-enabling virtualization while having kaspersky installed).

It says 'incompatible hardware or software' detected, maybe you had a software that conflicting with kaspersky? I'm using the older and worse i3-4030u and it's not showing any problem.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

That could be the problem.

• Protection with hardware virtualization is disabled in the Kaspersky Lab application. To learn how to turn on the protection, see the guide below.
  • A third-party hypervisor is running (e.g. VMware). To eliminate the error, close the third-party hypervisor.
  • Hardware virtualization is disabled on your computer. To eliminate the error, enable the support of hardware virtualization in the BIOS settings. See the guide for Windows 10 below.
  • Your processor does not support hardware virtualization. You can find out whether your CPU supports hardware virtualization in your computer’s technical documentation or on the vendor's site.

Anyway you dont need to have this feature enabled, if the core protection is working as it should, why bother?

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
As I've said several times, I'm NOT using any other software that would require VM functionality. Also, yes, it does matter whether this is enabled or not. It's apparently used for enhanced protection, why wouldn't I use it if my hardware is clearly capable of it?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
As I've said several times, I'm NOT using any other software that would require VM functionality. Also, yes, it does matter whether this is enabled or not. It's apparently used for enhanced protection, why wouldn't I use it if my hardware is clearly capable of it?

My mistake then, as I read your posts I thought that you have VMware or similar enabled, so it could have conflicted with Kaspersky hypervisor.

Kaspersky hardware virtualization is used for Safe Money (Protected browser), it isnt a core protection module, but I understand your point, this should not happen.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
My mistake then, as I read your posts I thought that you have VMware or similar enabled, so it could have conflicted with Kaspersky hypervisor.

Kaspersky hardware virtualization is used for Safe Money (Protected browser), it isnt a core protection module, but I understand your point, this should not happen.

Ok, if it's only for Safe money, then I don't care. Still annoying I can't ignore Kaspersky Password Manage recommendation...

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
In my experience the Free "normal" version is much less annoying compared to the Cloud counterpart.

Exactly. KFA is limited, but totally not annoying. This Cloud thing is obnoxiously annoying to a point I've tossed it away.

Still don't know why KFA link just doesn't work anymore, like Kaspersky ditched the KFA in favor of Cloud one. Do not like. I liked KFA, but there is no way in hell I'll be using Cloud one even if it's free and has "more" features. One of reasons why I'm not really using avast! anymore and this goes for a lot of people. It's just so god damn annoying I can't stand it. And it's not only ads and promotional popups, it's also how whole design is laid out. Remember when detection popups appeared and disappeared after some time in lower right corner? Well, now they are shoved right in your face and you have to click a button on the damn popup. It's so stupid.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.