Advice Request Kaspersky blocks gitcdn.link ; Is it a false positive ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I just discovered that Kaspersky blocked "gitcdn.link".
Here Bitdefender détecte sans cesse un Malware I discovered an explanation, "gitcdn.link" is related to github.com and µBlockOrigin.
If this is a false positive what can I do ?
"
Explications du créateur :
Schme16

Yo! I'm the creator of GitCDN - So I can definitivly clear up what it is!
GitCDN is a free service that lets people use their GitHub repositories directly in their apps/websites and have their content browser, and geo, cached.
You'd be finding references to GitCDN in your cookies/logs all the time (it gets used a fair bit). But my guess is that if you're here, it's because you use uBlock. uBlock references some lists by using GitCDN.
I promise I'm not nefarious, but if you ever see content being served from a GitCDN address that is spam, phishing, or illegal, send a notice to me here:
https://github.com/schme16/gitcdn.xyz/issues/new with a link to the item that needs to go!
Cheers!

"

1.PNG

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Looks like a false positive to me. Just submit it here even tho it tells me that the site is clean at the moment. :unsure:

Edit: website isn't blocked due to an infection but because of an invalid certificate. Same happens when I try accessing it with Edge:

Unbenannt.PNG

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Thanks for the explanations.
But I never tried to accesss this siteo_O
What is the relation with µBlock Origin ?

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I am not sure if there was something blocking gitcdn from uBlock's side. But right now the only instance of Gitcdn.* that i could find was in uBlock Filters (built-in default) in the following line which refers to a European CDN service from the company Bunny.Net:
*$script,3p,denyallow=fastly.net|fastlylb.net|jquery.com|hwcdn.net|hcaptcha.com|recaptcha.net|cloudflare.com|cloudflare.net|google.com|googleapis.com|gstatic.com|sharethis.com|stackpathcdn.com|blogger.com|googleusercontent.com|rawgit.com|rawgitcdn.b-cdn.net|githack.com,domain=isaiminiweb.online
It seems to have two links one is GitCDN.link and the other being Gitcdn.xyz. The .link url being the only one having certificate issue. The .xyz seems to be the main marketed url from the developer.

The certificate issue seems to have been reported, and the corresponding issue ticket closed, over a week ago. it seemed the developer had some troubles with Cloudflare and rerouted the traffic of then to the .link url as a temporary fix.

edit: it seems that uBlock is also using the gitcdn service as one of its cdn-urls for some of their own built-in filters/features.
Search for gitcdn.xyz: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gorhill/uBlock/master/assets/assets.json

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I am not sure if there was something blocking gitcdn from uBlock's side. But right now the only instance of Gitcdn.* that i could find was in uBlock Filters (built-in default) in the following line which refers to a European CDN service from the company Bunny.Net:

It seems to have two links one is GitCDN.link and the other being Gitcdn.xyz. The .link url being the only one having certificate issue. The .xyz seems to be the main marketed url from the developer.

The certificate issue seems to have been reported, and the corresponding issue ticket closed, over a week ago. it seemed the developer had some troubles with Cloudflare and rerouted the traffic of then to the .link url as a temporary fix.

edit: it seems that uBlock is also using the gitcdn service as one of its cdn-urls for some of their own built-in filters/features.
Search for gitcdn.xyz: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gorhill/uBlock/master/assets/assets.json
Thanks @rain2reign
And only Kaspersky blocks this site ?

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I still think it's safe to use..Maybe some filter lists need to be removed for the time being.
Coincidently, I just received an alert myself from BD

Image 002.png

Last edited by a moderator:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.