Advice Request Kaspersky browser extension versus KIS web-protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Hi,

For the life of me I cannot figure this out even after doing research.

What does the kaspersky extension do that the web-protection of KIS does not? Is it just a gimmick to show you in red that a site is bad before you click on the link?

I have vivaldi so I can't run the extension anyway. Thoguht I ask. I run uBlock though.

If not having the extension leaves a hole is it a good idea to try BitDefender extension as I feel malwarebytes is too heavy.

Thanks

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Looks like Kaspersky does not officially support Vivaldi neither does BD or MB, so not sure if it may leave your browser vulnerable.

Only way to check is to run BD Trafficlight or MB Browser Guard and do a test. Both extension offer excellent protection if they work
with your browser.

Reactions: Nevi and dabluez98

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
But I will say that Kaspersky still does block threats on my Vivaldi (and also i tested with Brave) browsers (without the kaspersky extension which are not compatiable and can't realistically be added to those browsers)

For example, I may go to some web-site, the web-site will load, and KIS prompts that so and so malware on this site was blocked. I will be clear: I haven't downloaded a file - so I mean Kaspersky web protection is still doing something. It's just that I am not sure if that's enough or if the extension does anything more...

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
If you are getting notifications from Kaspersky then that is a good sign using another extension may cause issues with
Kaspersky protection. I was under the impression that Kaspersky was providing no protection to Vivaldi.

Someone who user Kaspersky will probably reply soon.

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018

@Andrew3000 I guess if that's all it is then I don't lose much

@harlan4096 I have read the description, but my thought was as it is not compatible with vivaldi/brave browsers, do I lose much? If as @Andrew3000 says its only for payment protection, I guess not, the description lists a bunch more uses though, like preventing dangerous sites from loading...was your point @harlan4096 that u were suggesting i switch to firefox, because you pasted the extension from firefox in particular?

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
So if I don't have the extension in the browser KIS protection is not fully optimal but only due to the bank feature not working as @Andrew3000 stated, I am quoting this from, the page you posted:

"Kaspersky Internet Security uses the Kaspersky Protection extension to embed a script into the web page opened in Protected Browser and into traffic. The application uses this script to interact with the web page and to transmit data to banks whose websites are protected by the Safe Money component."

But then if I have Safe money Disabled in kaspersky application itself, having the extension is worthless anyway? correct?

Just to be double sure, do you have that extension enabled in firefox @harlan4096?

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
And sorry for the trouble, the rest of what I said is true since you gave it a thumb up? That without the money component enabled in the application the extension is more/less worthless?

Reactions: Nevi

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
The last time I used KTS the extension did absolutely nothing. Kaspersky will still block malicious domains without the extension. All this extension does is track you...

Reactions: Nevi and dabluez98

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I suggest testing Kaspersky with two browsers. One where the extension works, and the other where it doesn’t.

You should see the difference here

Reactions: dabluez98

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I only enabled the extension in FF (use it for banking & shopping) for anti-keylogging feature. I have it disabled in Edge as for general browsing, it is not needed. FYI i have URL advisor disabled in kaspersky settings as i don't like grey/green ticks on my search results.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So if I don't have the extension in the browser KIS protection is not fully optimal but only due to the bank feature not working as @Andrew3000 stated, I am quoting this from, the page you posted:

"Kaspersky Internet Security uses the Kaspersky Protection extension to embed a script into the web page opened in Protected Browser and into traffic. The application uses this script to interact with the web page and to transmit data to banks whose websites are protected by the Safe Money component."

But then if I have Safe money Disabled in kaspersky application itself, having the extension is worthless anyway? correct?

Just to be double sure, do you have that extension enabled in firefox @harlan4096?
for most people, the extension is completely useless
If I recall correctly, the extension only has 2 main functions: URL advisor (show green tick or X on google search results) and safe money
there are extra features but I don't think it's related to the extension. Without the extension, these features work just fine
for safe money, it can be used in any browser, not necessarily vivaldi. For example, you can open Safe money with IE, Edge, firefox or chrome as a dedicated browser for banking and because they are fully/better supported

my suggestion, delete the extension out of vivadi. Use the extension with an empty/backup browser like edge/chrome
the extension is useless and is a waste of CPU

ExecutiveOrder

Level 2
Sep 21, 2021
Further information regarding the function and compatibility of Kaspersky Protection (extension), according to Kaspersky:
[Source]
Kaspersky Protection enables several features of Kaspersky applications in browsers. The features are still available without the extension, but in this case the application performance will be affected.

Features that require the Kaspersky Protection extension:
  • Secure data input on websites. The extension connects the app and the browser for transferring data entered from the on-screen and regular keyboards. The Secure Data Input feature only works if the Kaspersky Protection extension is enabled.
  • Tracking redirects for phishing detection. Kaspersky Protection provides additional options for detecting phishing sites.
  • Anti-Banner.
  • Blocking of pop-up ads with Anti-Banner.
[Source]
For correct work of the Safe Money, On-Screen Keyboard, Anti-Banner, and Privacy Protection components, enable the Kaspersky Protection extension in the browser.

Browsers that support the Kaspersky Protection extension:
  • Microsoft Edge based on Chromium 77.x–80.x and later*
  • Mozilla Firefox version 52.x–65.x and later*
  • Mozilla Firefox ESR 52.x–60.x and later*
  • Google Chrome version 48.x–72.x and later*
*Compatibility with later browser versions is possible but not guaranteed.
Pretty sure Web-protection, in general, will be fine without it. Every connection of the app from a specific port of still monitored too even HTTPS scan works on another app especially if you select to scan all secure connections (not recommended, some apps and sites won't work, Epic Games launcher for example).
Without this extension, Secure Data Input (see Kaspersky settings, Additional), Anti-Banner, Privacy Protection won't work (because these two are in the extension when you click it, I've tested it, alternatively just use something like AdGuard extension).
Some functionality like redirect blocking of phishing websites (Web-protection) might not work correctly but it will be blocked in the end anyway after you get redirected, On-Screen Keyboard button is available in extension but you can manually open it from the main UI anyway. Not sure about Safe Money, doubt it will have a little bit of difficulty detecting payment sites (if it does, you can also manually add a website you want to go).

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Dear @Azure, that page that you posted is only detected in firefox where the Kaspersky extension is enabled, but not in vivaldi.

However, when I go to urls on Phishthank - Kaspersky blocks them in both firefox and vivaldi, despite the fact there is no kaspersky extension in vivaldi - but it is the kaspersky web protection doing the work.

Reactions: Nevi and Azure

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
@Evjl's Rain
I don't even have the money protection enabled in kaspersky application, so in that sense the extension would be completely useless, more/less!
I personally find money protection a gimmick. Also, it caused me problems before in all honesty.

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.