Kaspersky Free AntiVirus 2019 - December 2018 Report

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Hum... I didn't join the Zemana Beta test, so I have no access to alpha/beta builds, anyway still in early beta (or even alpha stage?), so I may add it as a Second Opinion Scanner (currently using ZAM 2) when the product gets more mature :giggle:
For sure you get the beta just by asking from the Zemana guys from forum

Anyways thanks for the test results, agree with the above comments and kaspersky free really dominates in malware hub

Looking forward panda free + nvt sh

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I will change probably Panda Dome Free + NVT SH next month by a different product, but still not decided...

I think @Solarquest has been performing tests with EmsiSoft, but lately He is probably a bit busy and could not test all the packs... but I think He will perform test with EmsiSoft next month again...

I'll test Emsi again beginning of next year.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
An excellent test and top notch protection from Kaspersky despite it being a free product. The System Watcher is the best part of the AV allowing you to roll back the malicious actions. I have yet to see KAV free lose to any ransomware. It's arguably the best free product, even better than some paid AV's. The 2019 version is also extremely light.

AV-Freak

Level 1
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
An excellent test and top notch protection from Kaspersky despite it being a free product. The System Watcher is the best part of the AV allowing you to roll back the malicious actions. I have yet to see KAV free lose to any ransomware. It's arguably the best free product, even better than some paid AV's. The 2019 version is also extremely light.
Yes, system watcher is the main component. Kaspersky surprised every one when they gave it away in their free product. Currently the best free product. But i don't see why they sell Kaspersky Antivirus, as there is no difference between Kaspersky Security cloud free and paid KAV in terms of protection. :unsure::unsure:

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Yes, system watcher is the main component. Kaspersky surprised every one when they gave it away in their free product. Currently the best free product. But i don't see why they sell Kaspersky Antivirus, as there is no difference between Kaspersky Security cloud free and paid KAV in terms of protection. :unsure::unsure:
Yes you are right regarding this. The paid KAV is obsolete now. KIS should be the paid product that someone who is willing to pay will buy. To be honest I don't like the Total Security also. The free AV and the IS suite seem to be the best free and paid product imo.

AV-Freak

Level 1
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
Yes you are right regarding this. The paid KAV is obsolete now. KIS should be the paid product that someone who is willing to pay will buy. To be honest I don't like the Total Security also. The free AV and the IS suite seem to be the best free and paid product imo.
Well said, KTS is over priced and when it comes to security KIS is more than enough i.m.o

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Hi guys!

I won't post all the results of the last special samples posted these days due to I have been busier than usual (and also to take a small break).

KFA2019 already detected ALL THE SPECIAL SAMPLES POSTED UNTIL TODAY at the moment of publishing them in the Hub, so in Bonus BB will be also detected. I've posted only results of bigger packs #13 & #12.

Starting in January will change KFA2019 -> KCloudFree 2019 (with the tweaks I already posted in Kaspersky section).

Still thinking If I will test a second product, some users asked me to test BitDefender Free... still not decided, and will check if I will have enough time to publish results for 2 products at the same time from now on... also giving more options to the upcoming basic testers to choose products :)

noob guy

Level 1
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
Hi guys!

I won't post all the results of the last special samples posted these days due to I have been busier than usual (and also to take a small break).

KFA2019 already detected ALL THE SPECIAL SAMPLES POSTED UNTIL TODAY at the moment of publishing them in the Hub, so in Bonus BB will be also detected. I've posted only results of bigger packs #13 & #12.

Starting in January will change KFA2019 -> KCloudFree 2019 (with the tweaks I already posted in Kaspersky section).

Still thinking If I will test a second product, some users asked me to test BitDefender Free... still not decided, and will check if I will have enough time to publish results for 2 products at the same time from now on... also giving more options to the upcoming basic testers to choose products :)

Thank you @harlan4096. Your testing is the reason I have been using KFA (with OSA) from the start. I am now doing my own malware testing with other combinations (Immunet with VS, etc.) but will not change from what I learned from your fruitful labors. All the best to you in the New Year and beyond!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hi guys!

First thank you for all your testing and especially for testing KFA. (y)
Why the change to KSC Free?
Does it offer more protection or just more setting to play with?
Also love to see Bitdefender Free being tested.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Also love to see Bitdefender Free being tested.
I tested BD free in the past but it was very challenging because there is no way we can trigger manually signature update. Only wait and wait until it updates
if we don't update, BD free will use cloud to compensate this signature delay but it can't be the same + the cloud react quite slowly, after many seconds

its BB is very good but not as good as KFA, obviously

https://malwaretips.com/threads/8-08-2018-20.85814/#post-755663
https://malwaretips.com/threads/30-07-2018-20.85590/#post-753422
https://malwaretips.com/threads/5-10-17-13.75977/#post-677438
https://malwaretips.com/threads/4-10-17-11.75942/#post-677100

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I tested BD free in the past but it was very challenging because there is no way we can trigger manually signature update. Only wait and wait until it updates
if we don't update, BD free will use cloud to compensate this signature delay but it can't be the same + the cloud react quite slowly, after many seconds

its BB is very good but not as good as KFA, obviously

https://malwaretips.com/threads/8-08-2018-20.85814/#post-755663
https://malwaretips.com/threads/30-07-2018-20.85590/#post-753422
https://malwaretips.com/threads/5-10-17-13.75977/#post-677438
https://malwaretips.com/threads/4-10-17-11.75942/#post-677100
Thank you for you're reply.(y)
Off topic but I'm still looking for a more lightweight solution than KFA for 2 old pc's from my mother and mother in law.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.