Advice Request Kaspersky Free causing ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Well i'm running Bitdefender free for 3 months now and have no problems (no bugs) , i was thinking to give KFA another try yesterday, but always end up with these errors in chrome. So i will continue with BD free here (till it behave strange) ;) so far its running smooth and without errors in latest 3 months.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Well i'm running Bitdefender free for 3 months now and have no problems (no bugs) , i was thinking to give KFA another try yesterday, but always end up with these errors in chrome. So i will continue with BD free here (till it behave strange) ;) so far its running smooth and without errors in latest 3 months.
I saw your comments about Bitdefender free and I thought I'd try it one more time.Actually, after one day I installed it I was impressed. Realy running smooth and without errors.And is light.... very light for bitdefender. I do not feel any delays in my system. It's one of the lightest antivirus
Χωρίς τίτλο.jpg
I have tested lately.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Yes sometimes it can drop down to a minimum, also it can go up to around 210 MB but i never feel a delay on the system.
I used it with osarmor.The only bad is not suport opera browser. But i test it with many urls with chrome and with many malware samples. The results is perfect.

Reactions: Pat MacKnife

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I saw your comments about Bitdefender free and I thought I'd try it one more time.Actually, after one day I installed it I was impressed. Realy running smooth and without errors.And is light.... very light for bitdefender. I do not feel any delays in my system. It's one of the lightest antivirusView attachment 198356 I have tested lately.

I have the same issue with Kaspersky Free 2019 as well. The only solution is to turn off SSL scanning which is the culprit of slow web page load and dead links, but turning off SSL will not going to block HTTPS threat sites.

Also, here is a pic of me running trial Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 default settings idling on the desktop. You will surprise by the amount of RAM usage while it is idling.

Yeah, half of 1GB RAM usage while idling on the desktop.
Screenshot_5.png

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
It seems like the encrypted connections scan is the culprit of dead links, slow internet, and slow webpage load.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It seems like the encrypted connections scan is the culprit of dead links, slow internet, and slow webpage load.
No, it was the implementation of TLS 1.3 in Google Chrome. But it seems that that problem is solved now.
Here with Kaspersky Security Cloud Free 19.0.0.1088(c) and Google Chrome 70.0.3538.67 I don't have that problem anymore.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
No, it was the implementation of TLS 1.3 in Google Chrome. But it seems that that problem is solved now.
Here with Kaspersky Security Cloud Free 19.0.0.1088(c) and Google Chrome 70.0.3538.67 I don't have that problem anymore.

So the issue got fix? I thought we have to wait for the patch D.

Reactions: oldschool

Disable SSL scanning. Just because it is in the product doesn't make it a good idea. Kaspersky and others that scan SSL have been known to break browser protections.

but turning off SSL will not going to block HTTPS threat sites.

That's mostly all paranoia talking.

Reactions: harlan4096

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Disable SSL scanning. Just because it is in the product doesn't make it a good idea. Kaspersky and others that scan SSL have been known to break browser protections.

That's mostly all paranoia talking.

I tested some phishing HTTPS links at PhishTank.com with encrypted connections scan on and off. When encrypted connections scan off, Kaspersky doesn't block phishing HTTPS site, but with encrypted connections scan on Kaspersky will block phishing HTTPS site. I tested without browser extensions.

I did upload those phishing HTTPS links to VT, and Kaspersky does detect them as a threat, but with encrypted connections scan off Kaspersky will jut going to ignore it.

I tested some phishing HTTPS links at PhishTank.com with encrypted connections scan on and off. When encrypted connections scan off, Kaspersky doesn't block phishing HTTPS site, but with encrypted connections scan on Kaspersky will block phishing HTTPS site. I tested without browser extensions.

I did upload those phishing HTTPS links to VT, and Kaspersky does detect them as a threat, but with encrypted connections scan off Kaspersky will jut going to ignore it.

The security benefit of web content filtering is vastly over-estimated. It actually adds little to overall security because of the latency and ineffeciencies involved - and the fact that it is rare to end up on a malicious page.

I know there's a lot of people here that are ga-ga about web content filtering and give it high importance - and it is just wasted effort and needless pressure on resources mostly.

Most phishing sites are down within hours of being put up - taken down long before the site is reported and added to the filter list by the security soft vendor or extension.

HTTPS scanning is really only needed for Kaspersky Safe Money.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
The security benefit of web content filtering is vastly over-estimated. It actually adds little to overall security because of the latency and ineffeciencies involved - and the fact that it is rare to end up on a malicious page.

I know there's a lot of people here that are ga-ga about web content filtering and give it high importance - and it is just wasted effort and needless pressure on resources mostly.

Most phishing sites are down within hours of being put up - taken down long before the site is reported and added to the filter list by the security soft vendor or extension.

HTTPS scanning is really only needed for Kaspersky Safe Money.

"HTTPS scanning is really only needed for Kaspersky Safe Money" I disagree with that. I don't use Kaspersky Safe Money.

Anyway, did Kaspersky already fix this issue or we have to wait for the patch D???

"HTTPS scanning is really only needed for Kaspersky Safe Money" I disagree with that. I don't use Kaspersky Safe Money.

Anyway, did Kaspersky already fix this issue or we have to wait for the patch D???

HTTPS scanning for web content filtering and blocking isn't needed.

I am going to leave at that because I don't feel like getting into a pointless debate about worthless web content filtering.

L

Local Host

The problem is for Google to fix, which has fixed and broken over multiple updates.

HTTPS is essential for Kaspersky Web Protection, especially nowadays where most websites already migrated to HTTPS. Any malware links in HTTPS won't be blocked by Kaspersky otherwise, which is a huge security risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.