Advice Request Kaspersky Hardware Virtualization

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

francisw19

Thread author
Jun 9, 2020
Hi all,

I’m looking at using Hyper-V on my system (Windows 10 Pro 1909) which is running KIS 2020. When I enable Hyper-V, Kaspersky gives a message that “Hardware virtualization is not available.” When I Disable Hyper-V again, the message in Kaspersky goes away, so it looks like Hyper-V is indeed the culprit.

Can anyone tell me what hardware virtualization is used for in Kaspersky? I just want to be clear on what security I'm losing if I want to run Hyper-V. The help files seem to suggest it might be used for Safe Money?

Thanks!

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Kaspersky uses hypervisors too, which can only be used by one program at a time.

In particular, they say:
hardware virtualization technology is used for additional protection in Protected Browser.

Personally I don't think this is a huge win, and not worth turning off Hyper-V for. Microsoft is using Hyper-V hypervisor technology to do a lot of cool things too, ranging from WSL2 to the virtualization-based isolation security features. I'd still lean towards letting Microsoft/Hyper-V act as the hypervisor.

If one day Kaspersky uses their hypervisor to implement advanced behavior blocking or exploit detection, sure, I'll change my mind.

francisw19

Thread author
Jun 9, 2020
Thanks for the replies guys!

In particular, they say:

Personally I don't think this is a huge win, and not worth turning off Hyper-V for. Microsoft is using Hyper-V hypervisor technology to do a lot of cool things too, ranging from WSL2 to the virtualization-based isolation security features. I'd still lean towards letting Microsoft/Hyper-V act as the hypervisor.

If one day Kaspersky uses their hypervisor to implement advanced behavior blocking or exploit detection, sure, I'll change my mind.

Yep, this is what I'm finding as well - it seems that virtualization prevents taking a screen shot of the protected browser. With virtualization enabled in the app, a screenshot just comes up blank - but with it disabled, I can get a picture of it. Not sure if there's anything else I'm missing though.

That said, I'm leaning your way too - I'll think on it a bit more. Thanks again for the replies! :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.