Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Viking said:
Thank guys, hope this works

http://imgur.com/cxdDS on idle

http://imgur.com/q4HJT

Thanks, That's just 1 of 2 processes that Kaspersky has, If you press "Show processes from all users", You'll see the other avp.exe and that's the one which is the highest of the two.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Just installed Kaspersky and I'll let it settle for awhile before posting the resource usage.. Nevertheless I have to say that it feels snappier than the previous versions.

In the mean time , here are a few screen shots of Kaspersky Internet Security 2013.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 Installations Screenshots:

[attachment=2299] [attachment=2300] [attachment=2301]

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 User Interface Screenshots:

[attachment=2302] [attachment=2303] [attachment=2304]

[attachment=2305] [attachment=2306] [attachment=2307]

[attachment=2309] [attachment=2308] [attachment=2310]

[attachment=2311]

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 Settings Menu Screenshots:

[attachment=2312] [attachment=2313] [attachment=2314]

Attachments

• kis1.png
    kis1.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 534
  • kis2.png
    kis2.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 482
  • kis3.png
    kis3.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 532
  • kis4.png
    kis4.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 533
  • kis5.png
    kis5.png
    131 KB · Views: 1,563
  • kis6.png
    kis6.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 766
  • kis7.png
    kis7.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 577
  • kis8.png
    kis8.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 804
  • kis9.png
    kis9.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 566
  • kis10.png
    kis10.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 549
  • kis11.png
    kis11.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 554
  • kis12.png
    kis12.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 631
  • kis13.png
    kis13.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 569
  • kis14.png
    kis14.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 564
  • kis15.png
    kis15.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 446
  • kis17.png
    kis17.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 563

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Processors for all users: http://imgur.com/d7Tzc

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Viking said:

That's more like it. :p I knew 6MB seemed too good to be true for Kasperky.

Cheers Viking.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
MrXidus said:
Viking said:

That's more like it. :p I knew 6MB seemed too good to be true for Kasperky.

Cheers Viking.

Kaspersky Pure usage was 7 mb on system idle on my pc but it raises to 120-150 mb during work.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Aug 26, 2012
Looks good! But with that RAM usage is it too heavy on the system's performance? Any lag? Also can someone test it please? I want to see whether this new version is as good as they say. :)

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
nishadrox said:
Looks good! But with that RAM usage is it too heavy on the system's performance? Any lag? Also can someone test it please? I want to see whether this new version is as good as they say. :)
Hello nishadrox,
It uses around 80MB RAM however I can't feel any slow down... I do think that KIS 2013,it's a definite improvement over the 2012 version....
No lag and everything is running very smoothly...
[attachment=2315]
You should really give it a try and see how you like it...

It also seems like Kaspersky removed the Sandbox feature from their program... Is that correct or I've managed somehow to miss this feature...

Attachments

• kis2012.png
    kis2012.png
    153.2 KB · Views: 595

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Jack said:
nishadrox said:
Hello nishadrox,
It uses around 80MB RAM however I can't feel any slow down... I do think that KIS 2013,it's a definite improvement over the 2012 version....
No lag and everything is running very smoothly...

You should really give it a try and see how you like it...

It also seems like Kaspersky removed the Sandbox feature from their program... Is that correct or I've managed somehow to miss this feature...

The 'Safe Money' feature includes the Sandbox, but it is no longer available for regular usage. I can't be sure, but it may have had something to do with the fact that they could not implement it properly on the 64 bit version.
The program seems to be running as smoothly as the beta did, but without the random changing Opera or Steam to untrusted, which is nice.
After the initial install, however KIS itself had been put into the untrusted group, which meant that I had to pause the protection and set them into the correct group before I could use it again. This hasn't happened since, so I'm guessing that it was just something to do with the lack of a whitelist in the pre-update program. This usually wouldn't be a problem, but I had kept my settings from the beta when I removed it, so it didn't automatically trust programs that are digitally signed. I also chose to keep my quarantined items, which didn't reappear in KIS's quarantine when the program was reinstalled.
Edit: I stand corrected, I just had 'starter_avp.exe' get placed in 'Untrusted'. That's part of KIS. If this doesn't get any better, it'll be very hard for me to keep using KIS. If Comodo Internet Security 6.0 ever gets released, I may end up switching to that. At least it has the Trusted Vendor List, which should help protect against these sorts of mishaps. I've heard the TVL isn't always reliable, however so I'd prefer sticking to KIS if it gets its whitelist sorted out.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Well, I can safely say now that Kaspersky didn't do any major work at their File Reputation feature ...
I've downloaded a malicious file,a new version of Live Security Platinum (Rogue Antivirus) which was released today and while Kaspersky did know that less then 10 user have this file and was release today didn't find it suspicious........ Run the file in a Sandboxie and no component seems to be getting this fake antivirus.......

Attachments

• kisvslivsecurity.png
    kisvslivsecurity.png
    200 KB · Views: 578

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Jack said:
Well, I can safely say now that Kaspersky didn't do any major work at their File Reputation feature ...
I've downloaded a malicious file,a new version of Live Security Platinum (Rogue Antivirus) which was released today and while Kaspersky did know that less then 10 user have this file and was release today didn't find it suspicious........ Run the file in a Sandboxie and no component seems to be getting this fake antivirus.......
It doesn't tell you by default when it adds a program to a group with restrictions.
You should go into Application Control and see if the program was restricted at all.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
It doesn't tell you by default when it adds a program to a group with restrictions.
You should go into Application Control and see if the program was restricted at all.

It doesn't seem to have a digital sign... The file can be found in the Malware Hub: malwaretips.com/Thread-Rogue-Software-Live-Security-Platinum-New-Version

Also Kaspersky put this file into the Low Restricted group.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Jack said:
elliotcroft said:

It doesn't seem to have a digital sign... The file can be found in the Malware Hub: malwaretips.com/Thread-Rogue-Software-Live-Security-Platinum-New-Version

Also Kaspersky put this file into the Low Restricted group.
That's all it really does on the default settings.
It uses heuristic analysis to determine what group the file should go into, but the heuristic analyser is one of the worst I've seen. It hardly thinks that anything is suspicious and gives it only 30 seconds to decide what group it should go in before it goes into the Low Restricted group by default. It's a pretty awful system, if you ask me.
Edit: KIS restricted another of its own components. The RC actually seemed far more stable than this.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Jack said:

Aren't most programs generally poor at detecting Fake AV's on a behavioral basis?

Granted only 10 users have used this file according the Kaspersky, however there should be more red flags thrown up before this is considered a reason for treating the application as suspicious.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
KIS 2013 is definitely not one of the lightest av i ever tested or used at default settings
1) Combined Ram usage in total 4 processes [2 processes of avp.exe*32 and klwtblfs.exe*32 and klwtbws.exe*32] is between 60-100 megs most of the time with 0-5% CPU usage when idle
2) Scans are fast but scanning compressed files such as ISO , ZIP ,etc causes slowdowns
3) first time launching of applications is slow (for eg web-browsers , foxit reader , etc)
4) system start-up slows down with kaspersky (Depends on how much applications are set to launch on start-up as well since it tends to scan at start-up)
5) Definitely not for systems with low RAM
6) GOOD web blocker and Ad-blocker(disabled by default)
7) Advanced disinfection technology is definitely a plus (scans system files again and needs reboot)

Since it has "rootkit scan" and "idle scan" enabled by default it seems continuously scanning in the background which leads to CPU and Memory spikes to about 150+ mbs at times (so i have disabled it to gain performance)

Suggestions to Increase Performance
You can increase your performance a bit by disabling some of its components from the "Settings" if you don't need them (i have them disabled)
1) Mail Antivirus
2) IM Antivirus
3) Antispam

Suggestions to Increase Protection
You can increase the Detection by enabling everything in "Threat and Exclusions" Settings
You can also enable "encrypted connection scanning" from "Network" Settings if you want extra protection from web
You can Also Enable "Anti Banner" from settings (works like ad-blocker and also has settings for heuristics)

I would recommend to install kaspersky since the default settings are chosen wisely and its more like install and forget but only if your system can handle it since it may slow down your system otherwise

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are these 2 present in Kaspersky Antivirus 2013 version?

loveboy_lion said:
1) Mail Antivirus
2) IM Antivirus

Comparison >> LINK

mattfrog

Jun 5, 2012
Is this the same version as would be released in the UK and Europe? The UK site hasn't updated to 2013 yet.

I've just realised my bank provides a free licence, yay!

P

Plexx

Since some of us here in this thread are gamers (online and offline), could someone confirm if there are drops on FPS while KIS is on idle or game mode?

When I tried KIS 2012 I had a drop of about 5 FPS along with some random lag on online games.

On KAV, it was less noticeable, so I assume it had to be one of the KIS modules.

Stock settings were used on version 2012 and also tried Jack's guide on tweaking 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.