Advice Request Kaspersky needs a restart?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I would like to trial Kaspersky Free while running ShadowDefender (ShDef). Any system changes made while my computer is in ShDef status are forgotten when I restart my computer. This allows painless trials of many apps EXCEPT those where their installation requires a restart. Thus I have the following question......................

Does Kaspersky Free require a restart in order to complete its installation?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I would like to trial Kaspersky Free while running ShadowDefender (ShDef). Any system changes made while my computer is in ShDef status are forgotten when I restart my computer. This allows painless trials of many apps EXCEPT those where their installation requires a restart. Thus I have the following question......................

Does Kaspersky Free require a restart in order to complete its installation?

No, but it is recommended to do so.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Thanks to @Shadowra & @mlnevese for great counsel.

Since restart when installing drivers is recommended rather than mandatory, I shall have a go at Kaspersky Free (KF) using ShaDef.

If KF goes kerput without having its drivers rebooted, I will do the image schtick suggested by @Sorrento.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BTW, the comparison of Kaspersky versions, as shown by a short scroll down THIS web page, is quite revealing. It amazes me that anyone would pay extra money for the Plus version rather than buying the Standard version.

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Kaspersky Free (KF) installed & executed without a murmur. It's still running -- under ShadowDefender, on another laptop. First impressions:
1- The GUI is unnecessarily full-screen. The small amount of info thereon simply doesn't need that much space. In fact, KF's GUI doesn't quite fit on the laptop's 14" screen. I had to hide the taskbar in order to see the click spots for getting past KF's initial upgrade-to-paid offers.
2- I had to establish My Account with Kaspersky. I have no idea why.
3- On the testing laptop, KF was amazingly light on system resources (cpu & RAM). Also, the laptop stayed speedy while loading apps & surfing & running solitaire -- even while KF was doing its initial NOT-optional scan.
4- I thought KF had a HIPS but could find NO evidence of one. Hmmm...................?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@bellgamin I have a laptop that I have RB (RollBack) installed. In this laptop, I can install something taking a photo before and coming back after installing an AV or any application.
On average, about how long does it take for RB to take "a photo"? Is that photo a bit by bit image or what?

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
On average, about how long does it take for RB to take "a photo"? Is that photo a bit by bit image or what?
is snapshot, the RB takes 5 seconds to take a snapshot. As for Kaspersky Free (KF), as far as I remember it does not have application control (HIPS), only in the paid version, at least when I used the free version it did not have application control.

Last edited:

bellgamin

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
is snapshot, the RB takes 5 seconds to take a snapshot. As for Kaspersky Free (KF), as far as I remember it does not have application control (HIPS), only in the paid version, at least when I used the free version it did not have application control.
MUCHO thanks for the info!!! I had a friend who asked me to give Kaspersky a spin. So I did.

Reactions: piquiteco

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, the installation of Kaspersky Free might require a restart to complete the installation process. Kaspersky recommends that you restart your computer after installing the software to ensure that all components and updates are properly installed and configured. However, if you are using ShadowDefender to trial Kaspersky Free and any system changes made during the trial are forgotten when you restart your computer, you may not need to perform the recommended restart. Keep in mind that not restarting your computer after installing Kaspersky Free may lead to certain components of the software not functioning correctly.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@harlan4096 -- Thanks for the info re Kaspersky's HIPS. When I installed the Free version, it offered me the chance to do a free trial of a paid version. I shall give the Standard version a trial in a while.

Cheers!!! 🍺
fwiw, I'm running kaspersky standard on this win10_vm, and it's very "solid" but seems a tad slower than F-Secure v19.0 and even a tad slower than MS Defender! but not so slow as to make me want to uninstall K/S.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.