Advice Request Kaspersky .net problem

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templar

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2023
Greetings folks,

I hope everyone had a great New Year. This is my first post on these forums and I thought I'd come here as it has a dedicated Kaspersky sub-forum. I've asked this question on the official Kaspersky forums but they couldn't help me.

I'll try to describe my problem as clearly as possible.

Recently I discovered that I had Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.10 installed that Microsoft has designated end-of-life, so I decided to uninstall it and upgrade to a supported version, in this case 6.0.12. After I had done so Kaspersky Standard ceased to function and would not function.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 004944.png

The official Kaspersky advice for this problem for Windows 11 is to install the appropriate Runtime. The link they provide literally points to Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.12, the Runtime I had installed. Unfortunately it simply won't function, so I decided to re-install Kaspersky. Sure enough it functions but lo and behold the old .net Runtime 5.0.10 has also been re-installed.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 010406.png

I'm wondering why Kaspersky Standard seems to only function on an outdated Runtime. While I'm not aware of any dangerous vulnerabilities with 5.0.10 I do tend to follow Microsoft's advice on updating obsolete Runtimes and cannot fathom why it's locked in on this Runtime.

Has anyone else using Kaspersky Standard had this problem? I.e. Do they have this runtime installed and does it cease to function if you uninstall it?

I am trying to ascertain whether this problem is unique to myself or whether other users have experienced it.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Templar

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2023
It seems like there is newer version, though I have no idea if it would help
See recommended downloads for the latest version of .NET.
@Dave Russo Hello, yes, there are both 6 and 7 versions both currently supported and released on the same day. After installing and trying the 6.0.12 to no avail I tried the 7.0.1 Runtime but it also didn't work. I've contacted Kaspersky support and am waiting for a reply, but in the meantime I thought it would be worthwhile to see if other people had the same problem. I've been using Kaspersky since 2004 and have never had a problem with .Net Runtime problems. I have recently migrated from Kaspersky Internet Security to Kaspersky Standard, so maybe it's something that pertains to the new line.

LittleDude

Level 2
Verified
Jun 17, 2014
Hi Templar

I'm running Kaspersky Free at the moment and I'm pretty sure it automatically installs 5.0.10(x86). Not sure if the same applies for Standard though.

Reactions: Templar

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

Templar

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2023
Thanks for your replies, chaps. I tried the suggestions of CyberTech and harlan4096 and unfortunately it didn't work. I deleted the Runtime folder and rebooted as Szellem posted, but I received the Runtime error. I reinstalled and it's working fine again, but the old outdated Runtime 5.0.10 is back. What I don't understand is that Kaspersky should technically work with the newer Runtimes, especially when Kaspersky provides the link to version 6.0.12. but it doesn't.

Kaspersky have informed me they are looking into it and will get back to me.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with Kaspersky Standard since upgrading to Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.12. It's possible that the issue is related to compatibility between the software and the newer runtime.

One possible solution would be to try uninstalling both Kaspersky Standard and the newer runtime, then reinstalling Kaspersky Standard first, and then installing the older runtime. This may help ensure that Kaspersky Standard is properly configured to work with the older runtime.

Another option would be to contact Kaspersky support directly to see if they have any further suggestions or solutions for this issue. They may be able to provide more specific guidance or even release an update that addresses the problem.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Templar

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2023
I run the Kaspersky's installer as administrator and it solved the issue. No need to install any framework thing.
I should probably mention, since my first post in this thread I have upgraded from Standard to Plus.

@Templarware

The upside: I've just tried what you suggested in your post and it does indeed work. Kaspersky Plus will launch without the damned end-of-life Microsoft Desktop Runtime 5.0.17 needing to be installed, so kudos for that.

The downside: When I go to open Password Manager it won't run, I then get a warning and it takes me to the page where (you guessed it), Microsoft Desktop Runtime 5.0.17 is downloaded. I even tried uninstalling Password Manager and re-installing using Run as Administrator but no luck, it just installs 5.0.17 again.

I've just contacted support and have mentioned that they need to update their Runtime dependencies to at least supported.

Reactions: franz

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Security software and Vpn software in in particular have weird library requirements because the Apps were built on certain runtime libraries. Sometimes they need certain libraries that are not the latest for example OSArmor needs visual C++ and Nordvpn use to need .Net 3.5 and wouldn't install or run if it was not installed. It's not a problem unless there is a unpatched security vulnerability, MS is pretty good with runtime libraries and patches exploits every month.

It's messy sometimes with multiple versions of runtime libraries but it shouldn't be a problem (y)

Reactions: Templar

Templar

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 2, 2023
Security software and Vpn software in in particular have weird library requirements because the Apps were built on certain runtime libraries. Sometimes they need certain libraries that are not the latest for example OSArmor needs visual C++ and Nordvpn use to need .Net 3.5 and wouldn't install or run if it was not installed. It's not a problem unless there is a unpatched security vulnerability, MS is pretty good with runtime libraries and patches exploits every month.

It's messy sometimes with multiple versions of runtime libraries but it shouldn't be a problem (y)

That's all I'm worried about really, from a security perspective. I used to like Secunia PSI as it would scan for possibly vulnerable applications, but unfortunately thanks to Flexera buying them out it was promptly discontinued.

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I wouldn't be too worried about runtime libraries and security vulnerabilities, there are so many more different ways to compromise a device that it's low on the list of things you need to worry about. Like all MS software you have to rely on them patching bugs and hope you are not targeted, most casual home users are safe and don't have much to worry about much unless you do high level financial transactions or crypto on your device.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.