Kaspersky Panic?

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
IDK, price seems the same to me. I usually buy my Kaspersky keys from Amazon or Ebay, but checking Kaspersky's website just now, it seems prices are about the same to me.

Concerning Microsoft's Windows Defender, I've said long before on here...Malware and PUAs have decreased from systems I maintenance. Windows 7 was a nightmare for me during 2008-2012 with PUA and malware, mainly PUA (residential, small business). I think Windows Defender is becoming a great product. I am tempted to use it at times, but the features that Kaspersky offers such as: Rollback, System changes control, Encryption, Backup (yes, I like their backup feature for local backups), and TAM. I think if you look at all the features Kaspersky offers over Windows Defender, Kaspersky has a good product...but Windows Denfender is free and is Install and forget...which is great for 99% of people.

I'm still sticking with 3rd party for myself. But competition is good for everyone.

And to answer your question about worried on loss of income: my answer is 'yes' :p Sorry for the rambling.

Last edited:

Has anyone noticed the sudden drop in price for Kaspersky products? Do you think the push by Microsoft for its upgrade of security ,with the fall upgrade,has vendors worried about a real loss of income?

I would bet they are not worried. So I say "No."

Kaspersky has a sales cycle tied to holidays and the seasons; the discounted price is not static - it varies throughout the year.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
For consumer versions that remains to be seen; the officially released Microsoft documentation to date indicates it will be only on Enterprise\Education versions of Windows.

WildByDesign said:
You're welcome.

I just spent 30+ minutes playing with system-wide mitigations and per-process mitigations in Insider build 16232. Everything is done via easy to use modern app UI. I must admit that I am thoroughly overwhelmed with process mitigations. In a good way. But there are far too many mitigations to even take screenshots to share here. It's absolutely insane. :thumb:

Users who love their process mitigations will certainly be looking forward to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. By the way, I did all of my testing of this build on Pro x64. So these features are not just for Enterprise users and definitely does not require the use of Defender AV specifically. Also these mitigations still make use of IFEO MitigationOptions registry settings, however, they are using binary format instead of QWORD.

Once this hits Slow ring I may be considering switching my main system over.

By the way, GFlagsX already allows you to configure most of these mitigations. But it is lacking some of the best mitigations from EMET which are only available in RS3 Insider builds right now.

EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)

Officially, Microsoft has only stated that EMET integration will go into Enterprise\Education versions of Windows. @WildByDesign tested an Insider Build that is not an official final release. Just because it is in an Insider Build is not proof that it the feature will be activated automatically on consumer versions of Windows.

Microsoft is wishy-washy with their language - and until they officially and explicitly state something, one cannot assume that the press releases will apply to all versions of Windows.

Microsoft hinted that it was testing full EMET integration in Insiders Builds, but declined to confirm that full EMET integration was coming with the Fall Creators Update. And so far they have only stated that it will definitely be integrated into Enterprise\Education.

Please locate any official statement made by Microsoft that explicitly states "EMET integration is to be made available on all Windows versions."

There are elements and features that are present on Windows 10 Home, but they are not enabled\activated by the Home license key; they can be enabled only using a Pro or Enterprise\Education key.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Officially, Microsoft has only stated that EMET integration will go into Enterprise\Education versions of Windows. @WildByDesign tested an Insider Build that is not an official final release. Just because it is in an Insider Build is not proof that it the feature will be activated automatically on consumer versions of Windows.

Microsoft is wishy-washy with their language - and until they officially and explicitly state something, one cannot assume that the press releases will apply to all versions of Windows.

Microsoft hinted that it was testing full EMET integration in Insiders Builds, but declined to confirm that full EMET integration was coming with the Fall Creators Update. And so far they have only stated that it will definitely be integrated into Enterprise\Education.

Please locate any official statement made by Microsoft that explicitly states "EMET integration is to be made available on all Windows versions."

There are elements and features that are present on Windows 10 Home, but they are not enabled\activated by the Home license key; they can be enabled only using a Pro or Enterprise\Education key.

There isnt any official statement yet, just hints that EMET integration will be a integral part of all Windows Versions and it will be easily accessed using Windows Defender Security Center.

Do you see Windows Defender Application Guard or Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection at Home and Pro Insider builds? These are features that are explicitily directed at Enterprise and yet unlike of EMET integration they are only present in the Enterprise build.

Anyway lets wait and see, it is good to see how Microsoft is pushing security to another level.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...32-pc-build-15228-mobile/#LjyX4Lz2pStkaHBj.97

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Kaspersky will soon release the 2018 version. So I would attribute any drop in price to that. It's end-of-the-year sales.

By the way, if you buy a license for 2017, it will be valid for 2018 and 2019, as long as you are still within the time frame of your license.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@harlan4096 that +3 in example case of @mekelek would mean 2015, 16, 17 or 2016, 17, 18? I think you indicated the latter but many of us have been believing the other way.
Also if you know, does the time frame matter or the validity is totally version dependent?

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I think it's a partially that. There was a great article I read about how things like WannaCry showed us how we are not as protected as can be. I mean disk images got corrupted and some scanners and real time protection completely missed it.

I think perhaps they are caught with their tale between the legs. Hell, when I got WannaCry the only software in my config that worked was Rollback Rx and their prices just went up! Goes to show I guess that each program is vulnerable and sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

stevethetester

Level 1
Verified
Jan 3, 2016
Just purchased Kaspersky Total Security 2017 (10 user licence) for £25.98 on E-Bay, also currently available for 1p more at Currys/PC World. Have successfully activated Total Security 2018 which I downloaded 3 weeks ago from download crew and initially run in trial mode. Has been running absolutely fine with no issues whatsoever and is now on patch c. The licence that I got showed that it was valid until the end of 2019 unless activated before then. I would say it makes sense to track down the slightly older versions which are often available at discounted prices and use it to activate the very latest version, which has a few but definitely worthwhile improvements over the last version. As things stand it makes sense to try and stay ahead of the game as much as possible. Hope this helps anyone interested in this particular route.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just purchased Kaspersky Total Security 2017 (10 user licence) for £25.98 on E-Bay, also currently available for 1p more at Currys/PC World. Have successfully activated Total Security 2018 which I downloaded 3 weeks ago from download crew and initially run in trial mode. Has been running absolutely fine with no issues whatsoever and is now on patch c. The licence that I got showed that it was valid until the end of 2019 unless activated before then. I would say it makes sense to track down the slightly older versions which are often available at discounted prices and use it to activate the very latest version, which has a few but definitely worthwhile improvements over the last version. As things stand it makes sense to try and stay ahead of the game as much as possible. Hope this helps anyone interested in this particular route.
I also picked up a very good deal for KIS 2017 on ebay. Well worth it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.