Advice Request Kaspersky Security Cloud Free questions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lorcav123

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2018
average user here :)

Couple on questions:

1) Do I need to set some special option after install? Does it come with some components like VPN, password manager or something else? I would leave only antivirus.

2) Does Kaspersky browser extension add good layer of protection, it it necessary or it is better to use Adguard (if it cover the job of Kaspersky browser extension)? Asking mostly becasue privacy concerns, my browser (Brave and Firefox) is privacy oriented, nothing too extreme. Concerned becasue of this:

"Kaspersky AV injected unique ID that allowed sites to track users, even in incognito mode" - from link

3) Does free version has those option inject script into pages? On other thread I read that it can slow surfing...

4) Is it smart to install also Comodo firewall free with Kaspersky Cloud free? Is it hard to set? Will it ask something constantly?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
1 - VPN is installed automatically if memory serves me right. You can uninstall Kaspersky secure connection after tho.
2 - No, the Chrome and Firefox extension are not really needed at all, you can choose to disable it.
4 - Some users have successfully ran Kaspersky with Comodo Firewall, however some reported it no longer works. You must install Kaspersky first then Comodo Firewall only and then on both programs exclude each other. Ill leave it for users who have used this combo to give further info.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
1) Like @Soulbound said, you can remove the VPN afterwards if not needed. Personally, I don't install/use their password manager.
2) The Kaspersky browser extension blocks before the AV does, so IMO a must have. The bug mentioned in the reddit page was fixed a year ago.
3) It injects a script and you can disable that, but in the latest version I didn't notice ant slowdowns and Kaspersky warns that you diminish its protection when disabling.
4) If you want you can install Comodo firewall after Kaspersky Security Cloud Free. I had before in the configuration advised by @cruelsister and didn't have to exclude anything.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I did this earlier today.... installed the latest free version and unchecked the extra pw manager etc.. And yes it will install the secure connection but uninstalls it cleanly when you tell it to. And yes I use Adguard extension and NOT the kaspersky browser add on. (It will still act like bitdefender traffic light and give you check mark for safe url searches and red x for malicious sites!)

lorcav123

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2018
ok, I will try first before reinstalling the windows to test this security combination (mostly interested how will cooperate AdGuard and Kaspersky extension). I give up on Comodo firewall, too much complication.

One more thing: How is Kaspersky cloud free standing with notifications? I now have Avast free and very often I get stupid popup notification like "you are not protected" and so on.

Reactions: Nevi and Cortex

lorcav123

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 22, 2018
If You register in "My Kaspersky" service probaly You won't get many notifications...

I know that Kapersky Cloud free requires registration, so that is probaly that step.

And I turned them all off except notify about events:

On your link it is stated that

"It is not possible to disable informational or promotional messages in Kaspersky Free."

So I presumme that I will get some notifications, seems that can't be avoided. I hope they won't be to aggressive like Avast free.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
On your link it is stated that

"It is not possible to disable informational or promotional messages in Kaspersky Free."

So I presumme that I will get some notifications, seems that can't be avoided. I hope they won't be to aggressive like Avast free.
Then the link is not correct.
You can disable all notifications like shown on the linked page in Kaspersky Security Cloud Free:
common_14038_0313-447335.png

I have also disabled the audio notifications.

Last edited:

Evgeny

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2015
I have installed Kaspersky Cloud Free and Comodo in one of my systems but because I have used KIS for quite some time, I sort of miss it. Its like something is missing. Tempted to just use CAV but not sure yet. will have to do some testing.

You dont need Av, when you are using the comodo firewall, with simple tweak, all unrecognized files will be in the containment, and you are bullet proof.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
One more thing: How is Kaspersky cloud free standing with notifications? I now have Avast free and very often I get stupid popup notification like "you are not protected" and so on.
I have had some internet connection issues over the last few days and the only pop up I got was them recognizing a new connection when my internet restored and asking if ok for me to allow the connection or to allow limited communication. (IP refreshed)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I just registered for KSC Free but it seems not activated despite registered.

I thought it's available worldwide so I put Taiwan as the country but it says it's not available there. How to change country now?

Found the list of countries that KSC Free can be installed

Thanks

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I just registered for KSC Free but it seems not activated despite registered.

I thought it's available worldwide so I put Taiwan as the country but it says it's not available there. How to change country now?

Found the list of countries can KSC Free can be installed

Thanks
Set UK as the location in your Kaspersky account. I was having some trouble changing location so instead I removed my account and recreated it, set UK as my location. Then downloaded from the UK site. I suggest the EU version because it let you opt out of data collection for marketing purpose.
Here's the download link:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Set UK as the location in your Kaspersky account. I was having some trouble changing location so instead I removed my account and recreated it, set UK as my location. Then downloaded from the UK site. I suggest the EU version because it let you opt out of data collection for marketing purpose.
Here's the download link:
Ok done it. Thanks

(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.