Advice Request Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Smartscreen works like a quasi default/deny mechanism. Until a file has built up a good reputation, it is denied. So that's good. And if Windows Defender can make better use of SmartScreen, then that's an advantage for Windows Defender. You could say it is an advantage that was earned gratuitously, but it's still there -- at least for the average Joes in Western countries who download their files the regular way.
As I said, with a real default/deny setup, Smartscreen becomes less important.

EDIT: Windows SmartScreen will work with zip files, if you use Bandizip. :)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
For most users, the differences between the popular AVs are not important. The fact of being infected usually follows from other, more important factors. One of those factors is looking at unsafe websites or executing unsafe files intentionally and hope that the AV will protect the user. Those factors are not measured in AV tests, because the testers do not execute cracks and pirated software.
As an example, one can say that for most people the cleaned traffic lights are safer than the dusted ones, but we know that traffic safety can depend on more important factors.

SmartScreen is a definite weakness compared to all 3rd-party supplied protections that inspect regardless of MOTW.
I would say that it is like a bulletproof vest. You are mostly safe, except many parts of your body.:giggle:

Thanks. So this is a very big advantage to Windows Defender over all 3rd party AVs, on Windows Home and Pro.
There is some advantage to Windows Defender, because it can use AMSI for detecting scripts, and most 3rd party AVs do not use AMSI or cannot fully adopt it. The tweaked Defender has also another advantage of ASR rules.
Anyway, some AVs have the advantage of faster signatures for payloads, so there is probably no essential difference in overall protection.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Windows built-in zip support is compatible with SmartScreen, so no need for 3rd party application.:giggle:
Windows built-in zip support will copy Zone.Identifier info to the unzipped files?

Reactions: ZeroDay

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Windows built-in zip support will copy Zone.Identifier info to the unzipped files?
Yes, on the contrary to many 3rd party applications.
Technically, the Zone.Identifier is not copied to files, because their binary content is not changed. The Zone.Identifier can be attached to file as an alternate data stream (possible only for NTFS file system).

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Is the Kaspersky Chrome extension supposed to be grey all the time? Does it do anything on the free version?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes, on the contrary to many 3rd party applications.
Technically, the Zone.Identifier is not copied to files, because their binary content is not changed. The Zone.Identifier can be attached to file as an alternate data stream (possible only for NTFS file system).
Thanks. So the native Windows unzipper is preferable, for the file types that it supports.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Is the Kaspersky Chrome extension supposed to be grey all the time? Does it do anything on the free version?

Yes it is normal, it only becomes green if private browsing (block enabled) or anti banner modules are active.

In the free version it is just a shortcut to On-Screen Keyboard ...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
another problem with Asian ocuntries, most people use cracked windows and most of them prefer windows 7 because of its faster speed, better compatibility and easy-to-use
I notice here, w10 is too complicated for many people and they always ask to downgrade to w7 (there is no vietnamese version or because the translation is too bad that nobody wants to use)
so no WD and no smartscreen for most

=> avast free and kaspersky IS or even no AV
I have seen many people pr ote no AV over forums in my country

because hardwares are expensive

still, KIS is very cheap and reputable here

it's time for KFA

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
another problem with Asian ocuntries, most people use cracked windows and most of them prefer windows 7 because of its faster speed, better compatibility and easy-to-use
I notice here, w10 is too complicated for many people and they always ask to downgrade to w7 (there is no vietnamese version or because the translation is too bad that nobody wants to use)
so no WD and no smartscreen for most

=> avast free and kaspersky IS or even no AV
I have seen many people pr ote no AV over forums in my country

because hardwares are expensive

still, KIS is very cheap and reputable here

it's time for KFA

I live in Brazil and the scenario is very similar.

Kaspersky is very cheap and have a huge "fanbase", I imagine that Kaspersky Free will with time overcome Avast in popularity.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

Kaspersky is very cheap and have a huge "fanbase", I imagine that Kaspersky Free will with time overcome Avast in popularity.
the problem is they don't promote it so nobody knows it. even avast is not heard anywhere in my country. People only know about KIS and BKAV (our most well-known vnmese AV, known for anti-windows, not antivirus). Both are paid products and people are happy to buy them the rest don't use any AV (windows 7) and some use free AVs

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015

I live in México and I know a lot of people because I repair pc's as amateur, the people only know Avast free or Avira, Kaspersky and ESET for paid and both you can find it very cheap, I'm sure that there will be a big trend to move to Kaspersky free since is very well know the great protection that offers since the outbreak of USB malware and almost all antivirus failed except Kaspersky that blocked it, just only that and now it has big reputation here.

Last edited:

I notice here, w10 is too complicated for many people and they always ask to downgrade to w7

Wow. That's contrary to the claims of quite a few here. They state that the computer illiterate can handle Windows 10 with no problem.

Your observation confirms my observations of literally hundreds, if not thousands, of typical users = a person who can log on, surf the web using a browser downloading files as they go, maybe use an office suite, and similar. A few manage to download and install Avast Free.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Wow. That's contrary to the claims of quite a few here. They state that the computer illiterate can handle Windows 10 with no problem.

Your observation confirms my observations of literally hundreds, if not thousands, of typical users = a person who can log on, surf the web using a browser downloading files as they go, maybe use an office suite, and similar. A few manage to download and install Avast Free.
It's harder in non-Western languages. The translations are hard to understand. In English, the terms are intuitive, you can grasp the meaning. But it doesn't always work in other languages.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have the similar opinion about Windows 7. Windows 10 definitely requires more resources. It can be seen when using Virtual Box.
Most adults, especially elder ones, have problems with using Windows Explorer and installing applications. The situation gets better for the teenagers.

It's harder in non-Western languages. The translations are hard to understand. In English, the terms are intuitive, you can grasp the meaning. But it doesn't always work in other languages.

I understand the translation issue. However from what he said, that is only a part of it.,

The ease of use of Windows 10 is proclaimed by some to be excellent for Windows 10. There are those here that promote Windows 10 and its security as the latest and greatest with top notch usability.

What I am getting at is computer illiterate people don't like Windows 10 because they find managing it difficult.

All of this confirms what I have been saying for a long time.

That is what says my dad.
Young people who grow up when using Windows 10, think probably the same about Windows 7.:giggle:

Usability is entirely dependent upon the user.

There are two types of novice users:

1. computer illiterate
2. computer literate

On average, the computer literate group does think Windows 10 is the best Windows. However, saying that it is the "best" Windows isn't really all that impressive when they're saying it relative to earlier versions of Windows. If one asks that group about what they really think, that is when all the garbage comes out. The number one complaint are the borked updates. Borked updates are not a rarity, because enough people from that group gripe about it that it is happening to a significant portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.