Kaspersky Security Scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

viel

Thread author
Hi,
So I was told to use this scanner called Kaspersky Security Scan FREE to scan my PC, I was told that it has the same detection rate as the paid Kaspersky antivirus but minus the real time protection.etc (BTW is Norton better than Kaspersky for detection rate?)

I was told this is a great portable scanner.

Does this really have the same detection rate has the same one? If so thats so cool! I heard Kaspersky is one of the best! :D

PS: I have Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes + Avast, I am a bit paranoid so I want some temporary scanners, I am thinking of downloading Zemana + Kaspersky Security Scanner, I have heard good things about Norton Power Eraser but bad things about Norton as a company, should I trust Norton power eraser? IS there anything else I should download?

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: brambedkar59

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Use HitmanPro instead, it packs both Bitdefender and Kaspersky signature databases. It is technically a paid product, but you can legally use it forever if you select "I just want to scan my PC once".
About NPE, it is an agressive scanner and shouldn't be used regularly unless you suspect that your PC is infected.

V

viel

Thread author
Use HitmanPro instead, it packs both Bitdefender and Kaspersky signature databases.
It is technically a paid product, but you can legally use it forever if you select "I just want to scan my PC once".
Norton Power Eraser VS Hitman Pro

Who will win?

V

viel

Thread author
Use HitmanPro instead, it packs both Bitdefender and Kaspersky signature databases. It is technically a paid product, but you can legally use it forever if you select "I just want to scan my PC once".
About NPE, it is an agressive scanner and shouldn't be used regularly unless you suspect that your PC is infected.
Any symptoms of an infected PC? Will there be popups or something like that..

Reactions: brod56

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

Who will win?
Different purposes. NPE for an heavier, deeper scan (more false positives) and Hitman for a more solid scan (less FP, perhaps less detection).

Any symptoms of an infected PC? Will there be popups or something like that..
It depends on the malware type. I usually run Process Explorer to take a quick look at the processes running.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hitman pro uses signatures from BD, kaspersy, sophos and their own engine

NPE uses their reputation service, if the files have low numbers of user (usually <100) or known bad reputations, they will be listed as detections. After that, we can manually send these files to scan for malware 1 by 1 by the button next to them (symantec signatures)

they are different. Therefore, we should use at least 1 or 2 signature-based scanners (hitmanpro, zemana) to scan the computer first to detect KNOWN malwares. Then, the computer is cleaner and more usable, we should scan it with NPE so it can list POTENTIAL/UNDETECTED malwares. The downside of NPE is it has so many false positives because safe files can have low numbers of users too

if you use NPE from the beginning, especially in a heavily infected PC, you would have hundreds of detections => you don't mind to read them => you click remove all => you lose your safe files

EDIT: never recommend kaspersky scanner because of its extremely slow scanning speed. It took me >2 hours or 1 day to finish its scan. In the mean time, you can scan the infected PC with 3-4 different scanners

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Who will win?
Neither will if you don't know how browse the Web safely, or careless with your PC.

Norton (Symantec) is a reputable security company

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.