Battle Kaspersky vs Comodo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
o_O I did not say "I hate people who pay or I hate Kasp. users". I love Freebies but ppl can buy their security. I didn't say "hate"..
Please do not cause misunderstandings.

Really :eek: :D Which bug ?

You ask which bug.?
Visit the comodo forum and then you will find your answer there.

I find it curious that with every new release of CIS there are 300 bugs apparently been fixed.!?

As i say,the comodo forum will explain all.

Y

yigido

You ask which bug.?
Visit the comodo forum and then you will find your answer there.

I find it curious that with every new release of CIS there are 300 bugs apparently been fixed.!?

As i say,the comodo forum will explain all.
Every release 300 bugs really :D You saw 1 time this, you say every release :eek:
by the way all of them fixed ;) right?

Reactions: tonibalas

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
When I choose a software to protect my PC, I look at more than just protection. Things like stability, innovation and company health are important too. Both are equals in protection. In terms of innovation, both are equals too. However, Kaspersky beats Comodo for all the other fields. First, Comodo is very buggy. Many program updates from Comodo fixes like hundreds of bugs, and every single one fixes some kind of BSOD. This is totally unacceptable. Also, it took them several years just to fix a single file submission bug. That says a lot about the company's development team. Furthermore, Comodo as a whole company has made quite a lot of horrific security mistakes such as issuing rougue certificates for Mozilla.

However, I think that it is better for you to try both on your computer and see which do you like. In the end its all about your preference and same browsing habits.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I personally have never trusted free antivirus software, I know that a lot of people use free software, but I often wonder, if free is so good, then why does Kaspersky have 300 million users.
Trust is a significant factor when determining preferences, and how relationships (personal and professional) depend on establishing and maintaining bridges of connection. Your view I trust as it was reminiscent of my parents adage, "You always get what you pay for"; and yet, there's a flip side to this coin (in certain cases) which can be represented by a philosophy rooted in open sourced software, albeit AVs are, for the most part, owned as proprietary. As one of our staff members, and resident MT Oracle, Huracan once revealed how the paid version of Avast! Premier I use essentially provides the same protection as does their free without all the extra "bells & whistles" features, I find the image to be quite similar to an auto-mobile we might see offered with the choice of (2) trims, a plain Jane or (imagine this) a "Lady GaGa" edition!!:p:D Lol!! Yes, Tony. I can clearly see which car you would prefer driving:):) as would I!:cool:

Edit: ..and they can give me the Limited Plain Jane Edition too,:rolleyes: I'd love to drive them both!:D

Last edited:
Y

yigido

I personally have never trusted free antivirus software, I know that a lot of people use free software, but I often wonder, if free is so good, then why does Kaspersky have 300 million users.
Advertisement is a biggest factor. They advertise themselves very good ;)
So many people think Kaspersky is the best or better than others. (remember I did not say "it is bad!")

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
When I choose a software to protect my PC, I look at more than just protection. Things like stability, innovation and company health are important too. Both are equals in protection. In terms of innovation, both are equals too. However, Kaspersky beats Comodo for all the other fields. First, Comodo is very buggy. Many program updates from Comodo fixes like hundreds of bugs, and every single one fixes some kind of BSOD. This is totally unacceptable. Also, it took them several years just to fix a single file submission bug. That says a lot about the company's development team. Furthermore, Comodo as a whole company has made quite a lot of horrific security mistakes such as issuing rougue certificates for Mozilla.

However, I think that it is better for you to try both on your computer and see which do you like. In the end its all about your preference and same browsing habits.

"rogue certificates for mozilla!"
Could you explain this in more detail please..?

I

illumination

They are both good solutions. KIS is more of a set and forget, where as CIS can be a little more hands on.

My nephew the other day, writes me, and says, what is up with CIS "which i had installed on his system, due to him having no money" ,
So i asked, what do you mean, he says, well, its become annoying.. I asked how? He says every time i update a program or upgrade CIS says its dangerous.. I had to laugh.. But he is right, new updates and upgrade will not be in the data base as quickly as some other vendors and sometimes causes false positives with CIS.. This is where needing to be more of an advanced user comes into play, knowing which programs and processes to whitelist, knowing when something is a FP because it is a unrecognised file from not being in the data base yet.

Bottom line, if you know what you are doing, and are comfortable having to correct small issues as such to be provided excellent security for free, then CIS is your choice..

Keep in mind, every great once in a while KIS's application control can throw those same FP's for updates/upgrades of legit programs.

Trust issues with CIS.. Well.. I asked my nephew one question, that made him think.. I asked him, in the almost 2 years he has been running CIS since i installed it and set it up for him, how many times has he been infected, the answer... 0 ...

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Oh yes I agree Comodo does offer great free protection, but I just do not like the fact Comodo has so many bugs. The file submission bug is proof that they are unable to cope with today's standards.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
"rogue certificates for mozilla!"
Could you explain this in more detail please..?

In 2008 and 2011, Comodo issued false certificates for major websites like Mozilla, Microsoft and Google. In the 2008 incident, a person could buy a certificate for Mozilla domain, with no questions asked. (1) This was an incredible mistake to say the least. So if I wanted to forge websites like your bank or anything, I could simply purchase a cert from Comodo without even giving any details, and there we go, a site that would be recognised by your browser to be legitimate. Then another major trust incident again happened in 2011. This time, it was Comodo's RA partners who got into trouble. Iran hackers got to produce 8 bogus certs for Microsoft, Google and once again, Mozilla. Read more here:

Mozilla's official statement: https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2011/03/25/comodo-certificate-issue-follow-up/
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/03/comodo_group_is.html
http://threatpost.com/alleged-comodo-hacker-posts-forged-mozilla-cert-private-key-032911/75077
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/30/comodo_gate_latest/

(1) http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/29/ca_mozzilla_cert_snaf/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.