KB4462933 Another Botched Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread author
Typical of the never-ending garbage coming out of Redmond, KB4462933 can remove the ability of a user to delay Windows Updates in the Windows Update GUI, Advanced Options > Pause Updates:

Cap1.PNG

Cap2.PNG

Cap3.PNG

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Well, it was a good decision to be on Semi-Annual Channel and delay for one week security updates, I think this "save me" of this kind of situations.

Reactions: given and vtqhtr413

Thread author
@Lockdown i didnt mean anything u know...just joking around with u u know...it was my bad if i did anything wrong with my comment and hurts ur feeling though :) have a nice weekend @Lockdown :emoji_ok_hand:

LOL

It's not about feelings at all.

The point that I have been making for a long while now at MT is that Windows Updates breaking is user- and 3rd-party application independent.

The test system above is 100 % default Windows 10.

What I have shown here is that on a fresh, clean install of Windows 10, updates fail. And that happens in approximately 20 % of cases.

There are those that argue it is the user's fault and\or the 3rd-party programs' fault that Windows 10 updates fail.

Nope. Not accurate. It's predominantly Windows 10 Updates themselves.

You have a single guy here at MT that says "I've never had a problem and therefore it has to be the users and 3rd-party programs."

Meanwhile, there are those from the field - industry insiders spread across continents - that report failure rates of between 5 % - 15 %, with a few exceeding that. Of course there are those that have not a single issue - ever.

Not to mention the numerous reports, articles and collective negative experiences posted online.

I can show that Windows 10 Updates will fail on one system and succeed on another - two entirely identical systems sitting side-by-side, both with fresh, clean installs of Windows 10, connected to the very same network, running Windows update simultaneously.

Just pointing out what is real, and what isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

overdivine

Level 2
Verified
Aug 21, 2013
if your hardware hasn't received firmware, drivers, etc. updates for 5 years , yeah it's microsoft's fault. even small and medium size companies throw away older pcs that don't have problems from time to time just because of that.

Reactions: given

Thread author
if your hardware hasn't received firmware, drivers, etc. updates for 5 years , yeah it's microsoft's fault. even small and medium size companies throw away older pcs that don't have problems from time to time just because of that.

Of course, but there's enough reports from the field that establishes that it isn't a hardware dependent problem. More than enough people are using the latest and greatest hardware, but still getting failures. It's just Windows Updates themselves.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
LOL

It's not about feelings at all.

The point that I have been making for a long while now at MT is that Windows Updates breaking is user- and 3rd-party application independent.

The test system above is 100 % default Windows 10.

What I have shown here is that on a fresh, clean install of Windows 10, updates fail. And that happens in approximately 20 % of cases.

There are those that argue it is the user's fault and\or the 3rd-party programs' fault that Windows 10 updates fail.

Nope. Not accurate. It's predominantly Windows 10 Updates themselves.

You have a single guy here at MT that says "I've never had a problem and therefore it has to be the users and 3rd-party programs."

Meanwhile, there are those from the field - industry insiders spread across continents - that report failure rates of between 5 % - 15 %, with a few exceeding that. Of course there are those that have not a single issue - ever.

Not to mention the numerous reports, articles and collective negative experiences posted online.

I can show that Windows 10 Updates will fail on one system and succeed on another - two entirely identical systems sitting side-by-side, both with fresh, clean installs of Windows 10, connected to the very same network, running Windows update simultaneously.

Just pointing out what is real, and what isn't.
Have you tried some memory wipe procedure using Dism++? I think Win 10 is R2 droid needing memory wipes for perfect working.
Clean old SxS files, update cache, update history, assembly and .net cache. Reboot the machine and compile ngen with update argument for both x86 and x64 archs and you might get some options back in Settings or you should see better/faster compile times(its only a minute faster, though!)

Reactions: given
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.