KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs and bootloops

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft acknowledges KB5000842 game performance issues, is rolling out a fix:
Games have been reporting that the most recent Windows 10 Cumulative Updates ( KB5000842 and KB5001330) have been causing performance issues, in particular with lower frame rates in games, and even Nvidia has acknowledged the issue, saying:
4/16/21 – If you are experiencing slower performance in games, check if rolling back Windows 10 update KB5000842 fixes the problem.
Now Microsoft has finally weighed in on the issue, saying:
A small subset of users have reported lower than expected performance in games after installing this update. Most users affected by this issue are running games full screen or borderless windowed modes and using two or more monitors.
Fortunately, Microsoft has a fix in the works. The company will be using its Known Issue Rollback capability to automatically undo that aspect of the patch, resolving the issue.
Microsoft writes:
This issue is resolved using Known Issue Rollback (KIR). Please note that it might take up to 24 hours for the resolution to propagate automatically to consumer devices and non-managed business devices. Restarting your device might help the resolution apply to your device faster.
Known Issue Rollback (KIR) works by marking a particular patch as harmful on Microsoft’s servers, and when clients (Windows 10 PCs) check the server they will automatically revert back to the older code path. The feature is only used for non-security patches and may take up to a day to roll out.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
So I hadn’t had any problems until I tried Call of Duty to test out a new router with a low ping online game. I never got the fix from KIR, so I guess I’m just screwed till they fix it. Known Issue Rollback seems to have missed a lot of people. Definitely needs work.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

"NVIDIA staff suggests rolling back Windows 10 update to fix game issues"​

Microsoft’s fix for Windows 10 gaming issues is coming soon​

In release notes of beta build 19043.1147, Microsoft has confirmed that it's working on a fix for an issue that prevents power plans and game mode from working, causing lower FPS and reduced performance for gamers.

"We fixed an issue that prevents power plans and Game Mode from working as expected. This results in lower frame rates and reduced performance while gaming," the company noted in the changelog.

In addition to gaming fix, Microsoft is also fixing an issue that causes the File Explorer window to lose focus when you are mapping a network drive.

These bug fixes will be released in the production channel as part of the upcoming optional update and August 2021 Patch Tuesday.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.