Advice Request KerishDoctor.A potentially unwanted application

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
We have already solved all the claims of site appesteem_com, although we do not agree with them.
I don't quite understand what is meant by this sentence. If Kerish Doctor was not doing anything untoward to users devices before these recent detections were announced, in reality or potentially, then I don't see why you would want to, or need to, solve them. If the detections are false, then all you should need to do is prove that is the case to the people who claim to have made these detections.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I don't quite understand what is meant by this sentence. If Kerish Doctor was not doing anything untoward to users devices before these recent detections were announced, in reality or potentially, then I don't see why you would want to, or need to, solve them. If the detections are false, then all you should need to do is prove that is the case to the people who claim to have made these detections.
They change the wording from “problems” to “objects”.

I don’t understand what’s confusing about Kerish’s statement.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
If they don't agree with the findings and claim that Kerish Doctor is not doing anything wrong to users' devices, then why would they need to 'solve' the issues?
Because it’s faster to change the wording to “objects”.

Contacting Av companies and the organization that deemed them as “ defectors” would take time. And during that process many more customers will be negatively impacted.

And Kerish doctor users already know the word “problem” is not an issue. But AV companies and that organization seems to disagree.

Again, they could keep the “problem” wording but then their customer wouldn’t be able to use their product due to AV companies detecting them.
So hopefully changing it to “objects” will help them get remove from the list of deceptors a lot faster.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, for the sake of argument, here is a claim by HiBit Uninstaller in the Registry cleaner section. Love ya, HiBit, but it is what it is.

hibit registry.PNG

I ran ESET's online scanner just now with HiBit on the system and nary a peep. PUA detection was deliberately enabled. Now could the fact that HiBit's (or even CCleaner's) being free while Kerish is subscription after trial be a factor?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If they don't agree with the findings and claim that Kerish Doctor is not doing anything wrong to users' devices, then why would they need to 'solve' the issues?
If they didn't change the wording, then it would continue to be classified as a deceptor by App Esteem.
I ran ESET's online scanner just now with HiBit on the system and nary a peep. PUA detection was deliberately enabled. Now could the fact that HiBit's (or even CCleaner's) being free while Kerish is subscription after trial be a factor?
I guess it's because AppEsteem hasn't taken a look at yet. If they do, perhaps they would list it too.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
All software cleaners that advertise absurb claims are scams. Having stopped using them since 2015, my systems have been more stable than ever.
As someone who has been using Kerish Doctor since 2006, I can say it's not a scam. While you don't need to use software like this, it can have some benefit. If you read posts from users of it here, you will see that they are generally very happy with it. While such software can cause problems, it would be very rare for Kerish Doctor to do so. Pretty much every registry cleaner (and I've tested just about every registry cleaner ever published) has an issues with false positives, causing them to sometimes delete needed registry keys, which can cause problems. However, the registry cleaner in Kerish Doctor, is one of the very few which won't delete needed keys. Kerish Doctor can potentially make a computer run better, but at worst it shouldn't cause any problems.

A number of years ago, when I cleaned by system with BleachBit, it deleted a number of critical system files from the System32 folder. Kerish Doctor alerted me about this and gave me the option to restore the deleted files. It wasn't enough to save my computer, as it was unbootable after restarting. Still, it was nice to see it at least attempt to save my Windows install.

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
I echo Roger_m comments/statements. I am a loyal user of KD and have been for many years. I've recommended it to many others and have installed it on multiple PC's. I've never had an issue with it and it has saved me on several occasions. It is one of the first programs I install on any new computer that I purchase. IMO, it is not snake oil and it keeps my PC"s running smoothly.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
ESET is no longer detecting Kerish Doctor as a PUP. Rising isn't either. So now, no scanners at VT are detecting it. Maybe Rising was detecting it because ESET was.

Edit. I made a mistake. It is still detected. I had two VirusTotal pages open in my browser and clicked on the wrong one.

Last edited:

KerishProducts

From Kerish
Verified
Developer
Nov 25, 2019
We are pleased to announce that site AppEsteem no longer has claims to our product. All claims from this site have been resolved. We are currently in active contact with ESET to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, the developers of antivirus Malwarebytes did not consider it necessary to answer us at all and closed the corresponding topic on the official forum. In other words, they were not very friendly of solving this problem.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
We are pleased to announce that site AppEsteem no longer has claims to our product. All claims from this site have been resolved. We are currently in active contact with ESET to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, the developers of antivirus Malwarebytes did not consider it necessary to answer us at all and closed the corresponding topic on the official forum. In other words, they were not very friendly of solving this problem.

And Avira database & F-Secure ? :/

Robert3

Jun 4, 2014
Hello, we are Kerish Products - system software developer.
Due to the incident, we would like to make an official statement.

First of all, we want to say that we are unpleasantly surprised by the false detection of our Kerish Doctor product as potentially unwanted software.

We have been developing our Kerish Doctor product for 18 years since 2005. Kerish Doctor is a classic Shareware product. Our product has a trial period of work and free of charge services the computer within 15 days. After that, if the user is satisfied with the work of the program and wants to continue working with it, then he has the right to buy a license key and use it to activate the program for further work.

Over the past 18 years, our product has been doing the following:
  • Defragments HDD drives when the computer is idle.
  • Monitors the temperature of PC devices as well as S.M.A.R.T disk information
  • Updates device drivers and software to the latest version from our server (monthly updated driver database)
  • Removes remnants of uninstalled apps if present
  • Cleans PC from junk (like CCleaner)
  • Protects PC from malware (daily updated threat database)
  • Fixes corrupt entries in the system registry
  • File recovery on NTFS
And much more that is already available in the trial version.

On January 19, appesteem_com site suddenly published a series of claims about our product.

View attachment 272331
View attachment 272332

Based on this information, several antiviruses began to falsely detect our software as potentially unwanted application.
This causes the application to stop working for thousands users of Kerish Doctor.
In fact, this antiviruses is permanently removing the ability to use our software for all of our users who have the misfortune of having both of these products on a PC.
In addition, we have an unfair blow to our reputation.

We have already solved all the claims of site appesteem_com, although we do not agree with them.
We also contacted them and provided evidence of the correction of their claims.
We hope that all unfair accusations of our product will be removed as soon as possible.

View attachment 272333

View attachment 272334

We are ready to provide any support that will help resolve this conflict.
We are ready to answer any questions about the operation and functioning of our product.

Reactions: Dave Russo

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I've never really got on with Kerish Doctor. I've downloaded it a few times when I've seen it offered for free and a couple of times at least my AV at the time (probably F-Secure SAFE/Emsisoft AM, sorry I can't remember which) its been flagged as suspicious so I've just got rid of it. There seems to be a history of AVs not trusting Kerish Doctor. Perhaps someone else here can add more detail.
Kerish doctor has been my go to guy for utilities for years,(besides the typical snake oil) it's very good,just shut off sound notifications,at least for me,drives me crazy,never a virus problem

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

While I rarely use cleaning or optimizing tools, I have tried a few in the past and used Kerish Doctor for an extended period. KD's reserved approach is effective. It's a useful suite, but I advise caution when using it or similar tools. ESET and Malwarebytes are both aggressive in detecting PUP/PUA, especially Malwarebytes, which has a tendency to have false positives in detection, including its web protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.