Advice Request Keyboard or Gaming Keyboard which one?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I decided to maybe try and see if anyone has any advice in this on here. I doubt it but I could be wrong. What is some of the best keyboards or gaming keyboards ? Yes I googled and read plenty of reviews but I like knowing first hand experience too!

Reactions: SHvFl and Rengar

lobo001

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 26, 2017
In my opinion, I recommend using a mechanical keyboard. Yes, a little more expensive than the membrane, but once you use it and you get used to it, you will forget about the membrane !!
I have the Corsair K70 with cherry mk brown... There are several price options within the mechanics, illuminated, rgb, etc ... It is personal question !!

Reactions: SHvFl and ng4ever

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
In my opinion, I recommend using a mechanical keyboard. Yes, a little more expensive than the membrane, but once you use it and you get used to it, you will forget about the membrane !!
I have the Corsair K70 with cherry mk brown... There are several price options within the mechanics, illuminated, rgb, etc ... It is personal question !!

Thanks for your input! How does the Corsair K95 RGB or Das 4 Professional sound ?

Reactions: SHvFl

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Keyboard or Gaming Keyboard which one?
The one that meets your needs best, and feels good in YOUR hands, of course.

You didn't even tell us if you game! o_O

The problem is HIDs (human interface devices) like mice and keyboards are extensions of our own hands. What feels great at the end of my finger tips may feel totally awkward and uncomfortable in yours - to the point it causes RSI (repetitive stress injury) like carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists.

Do you like a curved keyboard or straight? Wavy for flat? Backlit or not? Do you need media and/or programmable keys? Number pad? Wrist rest? Does your keyboard sit in a keyboard tray? That matters for some like me because if the keyboard is too wide (as many keyboards are) my mouse will not fit on the tray too, where I want it.

So how wide? Compact, medium or very wide?

Do you like a solid "click" or a soft "mushy" feel to the key-presses? Wired or wireless? Have you set a budget?

These are all questions only you can answer for yourself.

I recommend you look at those reviews again - not so much user reviews, but the professional reviews and see what they say. Then visit your local computer stores and play touchy-feely with the keyboards yourself. Note the problem with user reviews is most users don't have several keyboards on hand for a real comparative review. Plus users often down-grade a product because FedEx delivered it next door, the Post Office delivered it a day late, or the box looked like it fell off the UPS truck, or it was not same color as shown on Amazon. :(

The best any of us can really tell you is our opinion on the build quality, reliability and battery life (if wireless). For example, I don't know who makes the keyboards for Microsoft, but I really like my Comfort 5050. And I really like the mouse too because it has an ambidextrous design instead of contoured. I am right-handed but I use my mouse in my left hand. The keyboard keys have a nice solid, reassuring click, but does not require to heavy a push. It is flat but curved which is nice on "MY" wrists, and includes a wrist pad, also nice on MY wrists. It is also encrypted. Not really a problem in my house, but encrypted wireless can be important in some environments.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks Digerati I agree with everything you say. The problem is Best Buy only has wireless keyboards on display and very few at that. So I really can't go feel and try the keyboards :( I want wired.

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Just get any mechanical keyboard with mx switches. Pick the mx switches kind you prefer and you will be fine. I use red and the keyboard is tenkeyless because i don't need the numpad.

Reactions: ng4ever

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Thanks I think I will use a online retailer free return policy to be able to test out a few keyboards. (Technically it not free it is a membership to be able to get the free returns) I don't see anything wrong with this sense you have to pay for this special privilege. It is rather cheap though and I think worth it at times. No it is not Amazon Prime lol.

Then keep the one I like the best. I don't know what else to do.

Yoda

Level 3
Verified
Jul 26, 2017
gaming-keyboard-g510-gallery-2.png

gaming-keyboard-g510.png

I am using the Logitech G510 and I am VERY happy with this...
It has lots of applets for its build in LCD screen

Reactions: frogboy and Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Ah, yes, applets. I really loved those back in my G15 days. :)

I did switch to the Razer BlackWidow Chroma because I finally wanted a mechanical keyboard. The typing experience is just that more solid and satisfying.
If they just had a screen like their Logitech counterparts… :(

Reactions: frogboy

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The one that meets your needs best, and feels good in YOUR hands, of course.

You didn't even tell us if you game! o_O

The problem is HIDs (human interface devices) like mice and keyboards are extensions of our own hands. What feels great at the end of my finger tips may feel totally awkward and uncomfortable in yours - to the point it causes RSI (repetitive stress injury) like carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists.

Do you like a curved keyboard or straight? Wavy for flat? Backlit or not? Do you need media and/or programmable keys? Number pad? Wrist rest? Does your keyboard sit in a keyboard tray? That matters for some like me because if the keyboard is too wide (as many keyboards are) my mouse will not fit on the tray too, where I want it.

So how wide? Compact, medium or very wide?

Do you like a solid "click" or a soft "mushy" feel to the key-presses? Wired or wireless? Have you set a budget?

These are all questions only you can answer for yourself.

I recommend you look at those reviews again - not so much user reviews, but the professional reviews and see what they say. Then visit your local computer stores and play touchy-feely with the keyboards yourself. Note the problem with user reviews is most users don't have several keyboards on hand for a real comparative review. Plus users often down-grade a product because FedEx delivered it next door, the Post Office delivered it a day late, or the box looked like it fell off the UPS truck, or it was not same color as shown on Amazon. :(

The best any of us can really tell you is our opinion on the build quality, reliability and battery life (if wireless). For example, I don't know who makes the keyboards for Microsoft, but I really like my Comfort 5050. And I really like the mouse too because it has an ambidextrous design instead of contoured. I am right-handed but I use my mouse in my left hand. The keyboard keys have a nice solid, reassuring click, but does not require to heavy a push. It is flat but curved which is nice on "MY" wrists, and includes a wrist pad, also nice on MY wrists. It is also encrypted. Not really a problem in my house, but encrypted wireless can be important in some environments.
Well said, there are so many preferences, it is even more difficult than choosing the best AV. I had Logitech Gaming G15 and I have moved to wireless Logitech K360, it is way more practical and comfortable for gaming. I wanted the best, but the huge price and calling it "Gaming" does not make it any better.

download.jpg
download (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoda

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.