Advice Request Keypass Questions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
There is another thread here that piqued my interest in Keepass 2.x about offline password managers. I don't want to further derail that thread, so I thought I'd make one where I can discuss Keepass more and as questions about it. I like it very much. I'm coming from Bitwarden and am looking for something without cloud storage, at least not cloud storage that I cannot control. Thanks to @Guilhermesene for sharing this video, I learned a lot about about Keepass. But I do have some questions.

1. Is it possible to have keepass enter form data, such as addresses, names, CC info, etc.? If so, how? Without that, Keepass will not be a true Bitwarden replacement.
  2. Currently, to get entries to auto-type, I have to edit an entry with a custom sequence for a target window. For example, with MalwareTips the sequence for my TP entry is "MalwareTips Forums - Vivaldi". Without that auto-type will not work. Is there a way to avoid having to do that with every entry, yet still have auto-type work?
  3. Is there a way to enable two-channel auto-type obfuscation by default, rather than having to enable it for each entry?
More to come, I'm sure. But these are just the ones off the top of my head.

Thanks!

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Regarding point 2
I don't know if I understood you correctly. In my case it looks like this:

Example based on MalwareTips website.
I start the MalwareTips page.
I click on Log in
I set the cursor to Your name or email address
I use the key combination CTRL+ALT+B (everyone can set the combination according to his liking)

4.jpg

A window appears. Click on the entry in the window
And that is all - you are logged into the forum

KeePass settings for MalwareTips entry

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is how KeePass works for me. This is just an example on one site.
I hope I understand you.

Last edited by a moderator:

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Also, I found the solution to question number three. Here it is:

To enable "Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation" for everything:
1. In KeePass go to File > Export and then select KeePass XML.
2. Open the XML file in a text editor.
3. In your text editor go to Edit > Replace.
4. Under find: <DataTransferObfuscation>0</DataTransferObfuscation>
5. Under replace: <DataTransferObfuscation>1</DataTransferObfuscation>
6. Click replace all. Save your file.
7. Back in KeePass go to File > Import and then select KeePass XML and import your editied file.
8. Under import behaviour select "Overwrite existing".
9. Your database should now have all entries with TCATO enabled.

G

Guilhermesene

Also, I found the solution to question number three. Here it is:

To enable "Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation" for everything:
1. In KeePass go to File > Export and then select KeePass XML.
2. Open the XML file in a text editor.
3. In your text editor go to Edit > Replace.
4. Under find: <DataTransferObfuscation>0</DataTransferObfuscation>
5. Under replace: <DataTransferObfuscation>1</DataTransferObfuscation>
6. Click replace all. Save your file.
7. Back in KeePass go to File > Import and then select KeePass XML and import your editied file.
8. Under import behaviour select "Overwrite existing".
9. Your database should now have all entries with TCATO enabled.
Sorry, I don't know if I understood very well… But as far as I know, you don't need to do this procedure…

Just select all entries with the SHIFT key activated and click "Edit Entries", then just look for the "Autofill" tab → Check the box as per the image and click to Apply

Sorry if I said something wrong, I'm not an expert on KeePass, and I'm also learning new things about the program.

KeePass_q2hnEf16Yo.png

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Wow!! Really? It can't be that easy, can i t? Geez. Well, I learned something new today. Thanks! Also, don't ever apologize for trying to add something to a conversation. Others, like me, are better for it.

Does anyone know of any solution to point #1; about Keepass being able to fill out forms?

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm having an issue with Keepass, and I wonder if o thers are too. Keepass won't update for me. In version 2.52, I can have it check for updates and it tries but never does. There's nothing blocking its connections

KeePass_zOlBOJHVIP.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I'm having an issue with Keepass, and I wonder if o thers are too. Keepass won't update for me. In version 2.52, I can have it check for updates and it tries but never does. There's nothing blocking its connections

Here Keepass (2.52) built-in update feature does still work (y)

update.png

n8chavez

Level 16
Thread author
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Maybe this is for the best. I was missing the form filler anyway. Plus, I kept my database on gdrive (w/key stored locally) and they have been giving me problems too with their new authentication restrictions. Maybe it's time to migrate back to bitwarden.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.