Battle KIS 2018 vs Emsisoft Internet Security 2017.4

drakester

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2017
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a very good Internet Suite solution.

I've been reading through several topics and most of the opinions mention these two as excellent overall performers.

I want a good suite that has both av and firewall, excellent protection overall, minimal system impact, reliable (not unstable) and doesn't get in my way since I'll be installing this on three separate Windows 10 PCs: a workstation, gaming desktop and laptop.

It's between EIS and KIS latest and greatest but any other suggestion that fills the requirements are welcome.

Thanks a lot!

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Both are great. It's like choosing between American English vs British English. I'm born in India so I've learnt British English, but I love American English + just the language in general. So yep, this one is tough but I would go with Emsisoft coz it always gets beaten or is left behind mostly because of Kaspersky's reputation of being a classic antivirus we might know from our childhood hehe. In features, Kaspersky always has something more to offer and in functionality, I would choose Emsisoft coz I keep hearing about people having problems with Kaspersky when any Windows update happens and later they patch it up which is good, but I have never heard the same about Emsisoft. Emsisoft's support is on the rox.
I've never seen an attitude from any of the Emsisoft people that makes me feel like they are just an antivirus or security company who focuses on competitions. They are only focused on self-development which we all try to do in ourselves too.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
they are equally good. You can't go wrong with either
KIS is sometimes stronger in some parts but EIS is sometimes stronger in other parts

about performance, EIS is lighter than KIS with much faster scanning speed, which makes everything faster not just on-demand scans

get 1 of them if it has a cheaper price you can find. KIS usually has better deals on some websites

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I had this argument already with a friend of mine, so here are my 2 main key points:

-Looking at the Malware samples section, Emsisoft has at least 1 Infected/Not Protected post every week, KIS has barely one a month.
-Emsisoft failed the Self protection tests published by one of the AV tester site, KIS obviously not.

Both are good, probably in the top5 of Home AV suites, but Emsisoft is clearly inferior compared to KIS.

Emsisoft however is a bit lighter on your PC, so you gotta decide what's more important to you.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
I've used both Emsisoft for about a year and kaspersky for a few month.

Emsisoft run more lightly on my system compere to Kaspersky but that most likely due to Kaspersky got more extra stuff in it compere to Emsisoft, the thing i like about Emsisoft the scanning speed was very quick compered to Kaspersky, the behaviour blocker is quite good but it did detect a number of legitimate programs too better a false positive than a miss, if you like playing around with the configuration Emsisoft not got many setting you can change compered to Kaspersky.

Kaspersky it's a bit more heavy on my system but i believe the overall protection is better like a other member said Kaspersky rarely fail's in the malware samples testing, not used it for that long cant say much about it.

If you doing it based on price wise Kaspersky is generally cheaper as it's available from more stockists e.g. Amazon,computer shops,etc compered to Emsisoft which i can't find any stockist in my country for it.

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
I wasn't gonna comment on this one because I believe people have already said most of what's to be said.
However, I currently have both antivirus in my machines. Emsisoft installed in my laptop and KIS in my desktop, for the simple reason of specs :p

You won't lose much with Emsisoft in terms of malware database. You will lose on some features like parental control and separated banking browser protection.

It's a matter of what you want, if the banking browser protection and parental control are something you really want and you have a relatively good machine, maybe the 60$ will be worth it. Plus, you get a slightly better malware db.
If you don't care about those, Emsisoft is cheaper, lighter and has better support.

I'd say pick according to the machine you have, but I personally prefer Emsisoft.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I often hear you get "more stuff" with Kaspersky. But is "more stuff" worth it in terms of more security? Parental control lets you jail your kids if you have any (not sure if that's supposed to be an AV's job) and the banking protection… I dunno, I either use my banking program or go my banks web site which has one specific https:// address and if it's not that address I don't use it. Then again if somebody where to make transfers in my name I'd call the bank and have them reverse it. Really don't see the hoo-hah about it.

F-Secure e.g. never got in my face at all as long as I had it. Great software with not too many bells and whistles clueless people can fumble around with and leave themselves unprotected.

Emsisoft does exactly what an AV/AM is supposed to do and does it quite well. It's not as bloated as Kaspersky, which couldn't for the life of them release a version that would protect 64bit Windows 10 until way after release. This is something I can't understand coming from such a big wig in the AV business.

Support is another thing as well. Emsisoft is top-notch and very attentive. Try to get help from Kaspersky if you need it. Good luck.

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
I often hear you get "more stuff" with Kaspersky. But is "more stuff" worth it in terms of more security? Parental control lets you jail your kids if you have any (not sure if that's supposed to be an AV's job) and the banking protection… I dunno, I either use my banking program or go my banks web site which has one specific https:// address and if it's not that address I don't use it. Then again if somebody where to make transfers in my name I'd call the bank and have them reverse it. Really don't see the hoo-hah about it.
Yep, I've used Kaspersky Internet Security for three years and I didn't use any of those features at all. I used the banking protection in the first year of Kaspersky, just that.
But imo it's not something that adds anything that makes the AV a better choice.

And yeah, Emsisoft support usually replied within hours. Kaspersky on the other hand, it's another story.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
What i can't understand about this discussion is that in malware hub the evidence is astoundingly clear Kaspersky is a far better product than
Emsisoft, this chat about Emsisoft BB this & BB that is ancient new cause clearly in MH Emsisoft gets infected far more than Kaspersky
which mean most of these discussions isn't about which product is most effective, but which was great in the past.:confused:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I wasn't gonna comment on this one because I believe people have already said most of what's to be said.
However, I currently have both antivirus in my machines. Emsisoft installed in my laptop and KIS in my desktop, for the simple reason of specs :p

You won't lose much with Emsisoft in terms of malware database. You will lose on some features like parental control and separated banking browser protection.

It's a matter of what you want, if the banking browser protection and parental control are something you really want and you have a relatively good machine, maybe the 60$ will be worth it. Plus, you get a slightly better malware db.
If you don't care about those, Emsisoft is cheaper, lighter and has better support.

I'd say pick according to the machine you have, but I personally prefer Emsisoft.
it's not about losing "malware db" , kaspersky relies on other things nowadays than just signatures, which is the way to go. there are tests you can find where the signature part of kaspersky being disabled and the rest of the modules taking care of ransomware without an issue, system watcher, behavior blocker, etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.