Hot Take KIS/KTS/KSCloud/KStandard/KPlus/KPremium - Implementing Protected Folders via Manage Resources (+ Default Deny Mode)

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
KIS/KTS/KSCloud
Kaspersky Standard/Kaspersky Plus/Kaspersky Premium

Implementing Protected Folders via Manage Resources

1.- Go to Settings -> Protection -> Application Control -> Manage Resources

2.- Expand Personal Data folder and then select User Files folder

3.- Click on Add and then on Category and type a name, for example: PROTECTED FOLDERS

4.- Then select the new PROTECTED FOLDER category/folder just created, and click on Add again, but this time select File or Folder

5.- In Name give a name for the resource We want to protect, for example: Hard Disk C:

6.- In Patch We can type manually the path to the resources (full drive or folder) or use [Select] to directly select, for example: C:\*

As You can see if We add a * to the end of path folder, all the content inside will be included, also We can specify concrete file types to protect:

1570443462454.png

7.- Finally click over [Add]

8.- Then expand PROTECTED FOLDERS category and select the new resource Hard Disk C:

9.- On the right We’ll get the rights (in the different trusted groups) assigned by default to the new resource

10.- Click on Trusted to collapse all the groups, and then We are ready to change rights. The default rights assigned are:

1570443517535.png

We have to remember here that Prompt For Action rights are working only if Interactive Mode is enabled, otherwise They will be ignored and the actions allowed…

So now my suggested tweaks are:

After making the changes -> click on [Save] button below.

Now We have to complement these tweaks making some additional changes (Default Deny Mode):

1. Having Protection in Defaults (Auto Mode):

1570443990803.png

2. Then go to Application Control and change the settings:

1570444024356.png

For Advanced and/or more Paranoid users, We may even change:

• Protection to Interactive Mode -> unticking Performs recommended actions automatically
  • Unticking Trust digitally signed applications
  • Or even going beyond -> Change trust group for unknown applications to UnTrusted

1649058571389.png

WARNING:

With these tweaks You probably will get some blocks while installing new applications (unknown in KSN) and/or if there is no connection to KSN/access to InterNet.

If in Interactive Mode, You will get also some/many Kaspersky prompts warnings, I usually select (in the prompt warning) Additional Actions -> Trust this Application and ticking 1stly Remember my choice for this application, if You trust the application being installed, but We may always go to Application Control -> Manage Applications and move the blocked files to Trusted Group manually.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Speaking of, I am using Kaspersky Cloud free and for some reason in the last week it has turned off the web page safe search function (No icon showing if page is safe or risky) I have tried all options and the check url's settings are on and it's not working anymore. I am using Bitdefender traffic light again in the meantime as a work around and noticed it has been updated with some settings since the last time I used it. Any idea what is wrong with kaspersky settings?

AMD1

Level 5
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Hi,

Which would be recommended to have as protected files?

I have C drive and 2 external drives plus MS OneDrive on my system

Reactions: Protomartyr

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, but one thing is rsw protection via behaviour blocking and other different this additional module protection for folders... Kaspersky does not have an specific module to protect folders, but We can emulate it via Application Control -> Manage Resources, even We have some additional features here as We can assign different rights to the resources...

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Yes, but one thing is rsw protection via behaviour blocking and other different this additional module protection for folders... Kaspersky does not have an specific module to protect folders, but We can emulate it via Application Control -> Manage Resources, even We have some additional features here as We can assign different rights to the resources...
If I add some folder or drive to KIS protected folder, KIS give high priority to protect that folder or drive compared to others? Is it what it does?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.