Advice Request KSC v21 - Application Control not Available - Substitute?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Being that the Application Control Module is not present in KSC v21, what would you recommend as a freeware substitute or is it not necessary?

Kis 21 have application control :

1602529425344.png

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Right! KSC201 has AC! it's the free KSC the one that has not AC...
From the screenshot posted above, that application is Kaspersky Internet Security which has Application Control.

I am running Kaspersky Secure Cloud Free v21. It does not have Application Control. So I am wondering if the omission makes a difference, and if it does, what freebie can I add that would act the same?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Being that the Application Control Module is not present in KSC v21, what would you recommend as a freeware substitute or is it not necessary?
You can try WiseVector StopX combo with Kaspersky free. Few users here use it.

I use Wise with Comodo Firewall and have enabled WD now as of last night after 2004 update on W10 on one of my systems.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Your combo is: WD+ WiseVector+ Comodo Firewall. Any slowdown?
technically I would have preferred WV + CFW for gaming but since I want to incorporate such solution for another system where I would take full advantage of WD as well, i went with WD + WV + CFW (Comodo firewall is not 12.2.2.7036. I am using an older version: 12.0.0.6882).

Its light even compared to Kaspersky and to ESET

Lighter without WD on.

either one is good enough. CFW is running cruelsister's settings.

startup and shutdown impact is way less than with other solutions despite using a combo of 3 solutions.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
If you ask such question it perhaps means that you want or need such application but...is it necessary? Yes if you want to control what is happened in system and how apps/processes try to influense on it. I'm long time user of such monitors and as a free substitute I can recommend at this time one programm - SpyShelter Free. It offers two important (in my opinion) modules like HIPS and firewall and it can be useful as additional (or basic) layers of protection.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
If you ask such question it perhaps means that you want or need such application but...is it necessary? Yes if you want to control what is happened in system and how apps/processes try to influense on it. I'm long time user of such monitors and as a free substitute I can recommend at this time one programm - SpyShelter Free. It offers two important (in my opinion) modules like HIPS and firewall and it can be useful as additional (or basic) layers of protection.
I will try SS Free. I have it set to medium security to avoid verbose alerts since I have KSC Free. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess the added bonus is a Firewall to use alongside the Windows Firewall in Windows 10.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Dou you feel injured? Perhaps you should :sneaky:
Haha :)
Hehehe, not at all ;).

I have always been baffled as to why harlan constantly dismissed VS as overkill... It all makes sense now ;).

Reactions: ichito

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb : I'm announcing here that next month will be testing VS in Hub ;)
Very cool, thank you! Who knows, you might just fall in love and realize that VS is not unnecessary overkill, but rather was designed to combo with your favorite AV to create a super robust security posture while engaging in risky activities, while lowering the security posture when possible, to automatically build the tiny, customized whitelist for the end user, so these Safe items are not later blocked when the computer is again locked. You might even find that it compares favorably to traditional application whitelisting products you are familiar with in efficacy, features and usability ;).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.