Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Solid configuration from the security point of view, but I'd like to see you using a system image program.
As mentioned here Macrium is a good choice and for free.
It is important to have a secure system, but it is more important to have a reasonable certainty you can access to a severely compromised system (software failures, malware infections, instability) simply and quickly by restoring a working OS image.

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello Winter Soldier,
yes, you are true. I did an exact clone of my system with easus partition manager a few months ago.(SSD on HDD, I can boot on the HDD in case of problem)

Next step is to try Macrium that I have discovered since I've joined MT.

I need to understand how it works, (how to deal with the recovery procedure, boot on an usb maybe, or install the recovery on the HDD partition... I need to do my homework !)

The second step after that will be how to deal with my son's notebook and desktop.
The notebook have an old Windows 8 recovery partition. I think I can replace this with an up to date recovery for his Win 10 system.

The desktop has no recovery partition, I think I will have to use an usb key.

Or, I will buy an USB HDD to store all the recovery image of all the PC...

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Hello Winter Soldier,
yes, you are true. I did an exact clone of my system with easus partition manager a few months ago.(SSD on HDD, I can boot on the HDD in case of problem)

Next step is to try Macrium that I have discovered since I've joined MT.

I need to understand how it works, (how to deal with the recovery procedure, boot on an usb maybe, or install the recovery on the HDD partition... I need to do my homework !)

The second step after that will be how to deal with my son's notebook and desktop.
The notebook have an old Windows 8 recovery partition. I think I can replace this with an up to date recovery for his Windows 10 system.

The desktop has no recovery partition, I think I will have to use an usb key.

Or, I will buy an USB HDD to store all the recovery image of all the PC...
I am very sure that you will like Macrium Refect it is a great tool to have. :)

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
hi,can I ask why u replaced q360 with bd?
Hello,
First of all, I had this problem: Q&A - Slow copy: cloud access ?
I have this on three machines.
Not a big problem...

Secondly, I always wanted to try BD Free because it's light, simple UI, (the one of 360TS is a bit messy for the settings), and it performs well in AV-xxx tests, and in the malware hub.

So I managed to install it alongside CFW ( Installing BD Free alongside other products )
And I'm happy with it.

So, in brief:

360TS:
+ good behavior blocker ( with autorun protection, startup protection, usb protection...) :)
+ BD engine (or avira) :)
+ no visible impact on my old machine :)
- a few ads (sometimes bigger than before) :(
- messy settings :oops:
- strange problem when deleting or moving a file :mad:
- when steam is on, game mode is on, so no update, and my son is always on steam (social app... :rolleyes:)

BD Free:
+ good behavior blocker (ATC, I've test it a little bit on a VM, not perfect but 360ts is not perfect too) :)
+ nice UI :)
+ no ads :)
+ super simple and light :)
+ update every one or two hours :)
+ good results on the vault and on the "official" tests :)
+ no visible impact on my old machine :)
+ I like the web shield :)
- need an account
- the first update after starting the PC could be sooner...

The two products are nice. I prefer BD Free, my son prefers 360TS, so he keeps it on his two machines.

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
A small move: replaced BD Free with BD IS (thanks to a german 1 year giveaway)

I wanted to keep CFW, and I wanted to keep BD "light". And I wanted to put ATC to agressive mode.

So, I've installed BD IS, and disabled all module, except AV and Web protection.

I've had compressed file scanning (<10Mb) , ATC Agressive, disable HTTPS scanning (I like to examine real certs)

There are other options to tweak maybe (I've put Real Time Optimization ON, remove early boot scanning, because cold boot was long).
OMG, the lack of otions of BD Free was so cool ! :D

Capture.PNG

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
For comparison, "BD Free" RAM usage on my VM:
Capture.PNG

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.