Question LastPass Users - Post Your Security Challenge Score

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What Password Manager Do You Use?

• LastPass

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • Dashline

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Roboform Everywhere

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Keeper Pasword

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KeePass

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • Sticky Password

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Norton Identity Safe

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Password Box

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other. [Please mention it]

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • I don't use a Password Manager [Tell us why]

Votes: 19 15.7%

• Total voters

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
A password manager is a software application that helps a user store and organize passwords. Password managers usually store passwords encrypted, requiring the user to create a master password; a single, ideally very strong password which grants the user access to their entire password database. Some password managers store passwords on the user's computer, whereas others store data in the cloud. While the core functionality of a password manager is to securely store large collections of passwords, many provide additional features such as form filling and password generation.

I am using LastPass extension for Google Chrome and it saved me a lot of work and write. At the same time, I allow it to generate unique strong passwords with enough length, up and down cases, numbers and symbols.
For the sites like Facebook, Youtube, MalwareTips and others I visit often I have my own way of creating a strong password with a combination of those letters above.

Well, as you already know probably, LastPass has a nifty option to check your passwords, for duplicates, weaknesses, and if your accounts/passwords were included and leaked in some attacks, and became vulnerable, recommends changing the passwords for them.

All you need to do is :
  1. Log in to your LastPass Account entering your email and your master password
  2. Click on LastPass extension button
  3. Click on Tools and then Security Check
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (5).png

Finally, click on Get Your Score. LastPass will ask you to enter your master password once again for safety purposes.
Screenshot (6).png

After security check of all of your accounts, passwords and sites, it will show you the result. It will alert you if you should change your passwords for the sites that were vulnerable to some of the attacks in the past, alert you if you have some weak passwords, duplicate passwords or if you haven't change your password for some time.

Mine results are :
1.PNG

2.PNG

Well, it's not perfect, but I think it's secure enough :)

What are your scores? :)

Note : Be careful with screenshots not to reveal any confidential data such are your usernames and passwords. Blank them or exclude them from capturing.

Lets secure our digital world as it becomes more and more dangerous each day. :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Reactions: Nevi and Kent

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
I don't use a password manager. Two reasons mostly: a. I don't have too many accounts.. 5-6 to be exact, that in half of them I've used a fake email to register and I don't consider too important... b. let's simply say that I don't trust password managers. I understand people who use one because they have too many accounts, but I'm not really into it. I've got them all written in paper kept in a drawrer on my desk. Only my mom can steal them!!! ;)

E

eight

I have never used a password manager nor do I see the need for it.

Like OneDay I too do not trust a password manager.

How I remember / store my passwords is for me alone to know, I am not telling ;)

I keep my car keys & my house keys on my person. I do not have some one to hold them for me.

Why will I want a password manager to hold my passwords for me ?

Reactions: scot and tonibalas

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Well, nowadays nothing is bulletproof.
I have many sites that I log in from time to time, and my passwords are not like 123456, or my birthday date... It's more like randomness of numbers, letters and symbols. I like having those passwords as no one can guess them. But remembering all of those? Nah.

I respect the will of not having a password manager, still having all of them on the piece of paper and/or remembering the passwords in your mind. Just like passwords are stored on some server, which is secured physically and digitally encrypted, still there are ways of stealing them.
Just like the keys of your car, or some paper in your home. ;)

Stealing is the oldest "profession" in history :)

E

eight

I too have quite a few logins with different password for all logins.

I too have complicated passwords & I too can not possibly remember them in my mind.

I will never ever write my passwords on paper.

But there are also other digital ways of remembering & storing passwords.

I like bare minimum programs installed on my computer which is why I do not want a password manager.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why will I want a password manager to hold my passwords for me ?

A Password Manager is very useful, unless you can remember all 12-character, complex alphanumeric/symbols passwords that are randomly generated, for each site.

Maybe you don't need a password manager for passwords like abc123 or pa$sw0rd, Swordf15h. But wait.. Why use 2-factor authentication right? I don't need a computer/generated system to send me codes to access my account.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually password managers are design for users who deals lots of transactions and wanted secured storage, so if only few logins with appropriate strong password that can memorize well on mind then not an issue.

Good thing also for those program where provided password generator for stronger bits of passwords so it can be hardly decrypt/hacked easily. ;)

Reactions: Nevi and BoraMurdar
E

eight

unless you can remember all 12-character, complex alphanumeric/symbols passwords that are randomly generated, for each site

I do have complicated passwords & I can not possibly remember them in my mind.

Maybe you don't need a password manager for passwords like abc123 or pa$sw0rd, Swordf15h

Assumption. How would you know the level of complexity of my passwords ?

There are other digital ways of remembering & storing passwords.

Good thing also for those program where provided password generator for stronger bits of passwords so it can be hardly decrypt/hacked easily

Password Generator Yes. Password Manager No.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I do have complicated passwords & I can not possibly remember them in my mind.

Assumption. How would you know the level of complexity of my passwords ?

There are other digital ways of remembering & storing passwords.

Password Generator Yes. Password Manager No.
Would you share that method with the community? :p

Reactions: Nevi, scot and Ink

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
A good password is: "A~3 !x|R*:Jd", Yes! I also use space ;) this is how I make my passwords.

@BoraMurdar said well "nowadays nothing is bulletproof", we just try to make it almost perfect.

Reactions: scot and BoraMurdar

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.