Advice Request Latest Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool 5 (3660) is broken

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

boombastik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
A recent update to the free anti-ransomware tool seems to leave systems non boo table because it deletes the cat-root folder.
More in kav forums:
-https://community.kaspersky.com/kaspersky-anti-ransomware-tool-for-business-4-0-74/any-connection-between-kart-5-3660-and-bsod-critical-service-failed-16041
Be careful

For now i unistalled it from a second PC that i had it.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
That sounds bad. I've used KART in past and it run with no problems. My friend OTOH had problems while using it with Panda. Since then I don't recommend it to friends and just advise them to use KIS if they want to use Kaspersky's protection.
Another reminder how important it is to always have good system image at hand.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
And it seems they are not offering ANY support.
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

For a problem of this importance, they should offer support, even knowing it is a free product

One would think so, but support and extra so good genuine support is very expensive. This is one reason why I personal prefer pay for software products. This case also highlights the importance to actually read EULA notes/messages and other ToS ( term of services ) etc before install and use Free products.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
A recent update to the free anti-ransomware tool seems to leave systems non boo table because it deletes the cat-root folder.
More in kav forums:
Be careful

For now i unistalled it from a second PC that i had it.

Forums thread above from Kaspersky shows this issue was related only for a few users via automatically upgrade from KART 4 to version 5.

Users can still downloading the latest version KART 5 and installing manually, and before just uninstall KART 4.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.