Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
jbvZZQ23pGWBNu.png

• "Have another anti-virus installed? No worries, Ad-Aware 10.4 detects if another AV software is installed and automatically installs Ad-Aware On-Demand(TM) giving you the full functionality of our world reowned anti-malware engine with on-demand scanning."

Version 10.4 offers new and improved breakthrough features such as:

• On-Demand Integration - Better compatibility as Ad-Aware can now run together with other antivirus software as a complimentary line of defense.
  • More robust detection engine - Faster and more precise scanning capabilities with lower false positive rates as Ad-Aware 10.4 is equipped with SDK6 engine.
  • Enhanced real-time protection against malicious URLs and provides free credit report monitoring that extends the protection delivered in Ad-Aware to offer customers the most reliable online security.
  • Faster and simplified installation process with a revamped multi-language support to enhance user experience. Ad-Aware is now available in Mandarin (Chinese simplified).

Lavasoft Blog - News Updates

Download - FileHippo.com

P

Plexx

At least they have improved its engine.
One good thing they have done and does earn my respect is the On-Demand Integration.

Are they still using the browser addon for Web Protection?

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
its good that they given options to install it as a on-demand scanner.....

Z

ZeroDay

tapoo said:
its good that they given options to install it as a on-demand scanner.....

It can be installed as an on demand scanner?

Edit: Just read the full post lol.

Z

ZeroDay

I haven't used Ad-Aware for years.. So would anyone consider this a worth while on demand scanner?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
ZeroDay said:
I haven't used Ad-Aware for years.. So would anyone consider this a worth while on demand scanner?

I have not tried the latest version but the previous version didn't play well with other real-time AV's and you could disabled its real-time protection but still its services would load with each system startup or each time it was launched using up resources. You would have to manually kill its services each time you ran a on-demand scan and go back to its services and disable them from loading with system startup.

I do wished they had just a on-demand scanner version.

Thanks.:D

Z

ZeroDay

Thanks for the info Littlebits. I think I'll give this one a miss.

Dashke

Level 1
Feb 3, 2012
Don't worry, they will be on the top, believe me. They now have new VirusLab, new programmers. In last 6 months they have improved greatly. You can't even compare v9 to v10. :)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Don't worry, they will be on the top, believe me. They now have new VirusLab, new programmers. In last 6 months they have improved greatly. You can't even compare v9 to v10.

Nice to know. I am a little curious. Hopefully one of our video review gurus can do a thorough test soon.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
how different is it from that of Avast.....even Avast provides compatible mode option when it detects other AVs.....installing on demand features.....

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^^ some antivirus softwares now, if detects other antivirus software, then installs itself in compatible mode [realtime scan off]

Avast free, Fortinet, Outpost and now Ad-aware.... in the list

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As far as I remember, Avira could always be installed without the Real-time Guard, making it useful for on-demand only.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Dashke said:
Don't worry, they will be on the top, believe me. They now have new VirusLab, new programmers. In last 6 months they have improved greatly. You can't even compare v9 to v10. :)

I know they have done improvements but I thought they used VIPRE's VirusLab, they have their own lab now independent from VIPRE?

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Lavasoft's CEO Discusses His Thoughts on The Future of Ad-Aware - Read Full Blog Post

Our goals with Ad-Aware 11 are quite ambitious but attainable. Here are a few of them:

• Offer a free anti-malware product with the best...
  • Make Ad-Aware more...
  • A soon-to-be-announced simplified Antivirus Companion...

We’re aiming to combine the simplicity and focus of our original apps with all the power of a premium priced anti-virus scanner – for free.

aa2012-early-screenshot.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.