Hot Take LG TV

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
I renewed the netgear Armor at my mums place and it turns out not to have a high opinion of her new LG smartTV.
55 Vulnerabilities!

Attachments

• DD79194F-6792-4FCC-AE88-5F71D36FE4F5.png
    DD79194F-6792-4FCC-AE88-5F71D36FE4F5.png
    237 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: Nevi and upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The sad truth is that LG ain't alone with vulnerabilities and not everyone of those can or even will be fixed. Many times vendors simply point to EOL ( end of life ) for the specific product and the customer can't do anything. But with TVs and even so called smart TVs there is actually possible workarounds. A mediabox! That is the one that would get hit by any type of attack. It's just that it would take a huge amount of time and energy trying to find the least vulnerable and in general peoples local TVs ain't the majority of online targets. It does happen, even ransomware but with a regular updated and not too old router I personal wouldn't worry much.

Check out the basic security tips ( the short list ) for a router here. That alone is a huge step in the right direction.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
The sad truth is that LG ain't alone with vulnerabilities and not everyone of those can or even will be fixed. Many times vendors simply point to EOL ( end of life ) for the specific product and the customer can't do anything. But with TVs and even so called smart TVs there is actually possible workarounds. A mediabox! That is the one that would get hit by any type of attack. It's just that it would take a huge amount of time and energy trying to find the least vulnerable and in general peoples local TVs ain't the majority of online targets. It does happen, even ransomware but with a regular updated and not too old router I personal wouldn't worry much.

Check out the basic security tips ( the short list ) for a router here. That alone is a huge step in the right direction.
I was wondering if I should make sure the smart TV is using wifi and not ethernet since they suggest putting it on a guest network by itself.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The device is protected by a router, so it's not as vulnerable as you believe it to be (ie. unprotected network).

Paranoid? Disable networking.

Alternatives: Chromecast, media dongle, or connect to a Media server.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The device is protected by a router, so it's not as vulnerable as you believe it to be (ie. unprotected network).

Paranoid? Disable networking.

Alternatives: Chromecast, media dongle, or connect to a Media server.
I was going to give this same reply. Best answer.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

We use media sticks for all our TVs. Even though many of them were smart TVs when we got them, they probably barely function now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.