Battle Lightest antivirus 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eight

"Your subscription has expired, please renew to stay protected!"

These happen only at the end / towards the end of the subscription for your paid anti-virus.

" 50 % Discount" " Buy Now " " Special Offer " " Upgrade Now "

These will keep popping up in your face on a daily basis with a free anti-virus.

that make the paid AV user even more.. what's the word

Nagged :D Is that the word you are looking for :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I wish there was an All-In-One suite that works as an office suite, video downloader, file archiver, torrent client and image editor :D I guess that would have made life easier

Linux. :p You could make a request to Comodo otherwise. Lol

These happen only at the end / towards the end of the subscription for your paid anti-virus.

" 50 % Discount" " Buy Now " " Special Offer " " Upgrade Now "

These will keep popping up in your face on a daily basis with a free anti-virus.

Throw a threat or two in there and it's a marketing ploy to keep existing customers. I haven't seen any up-sell in my current Antivirus.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender is my current Antivirus on Windows 8.1. I like the direction they are heading with the no interaction required and I rarely get any FPs.

Reactions: jamescv7
E

eight

Windows Defender is my current Antivirus on Windows 8.1

I should have guessed it when you mentioned about the no up-sell thingy :D

I like the direction they are heading with the no interaction required and I rarely get any FPs

Precisely why I have Windows Defender on my Windows 8 even though I have annual subscriptions for

Bitdefender Total Security & Trend Micro Antivirus + Security.

does it catch malware?

If one is knowledgeable enough to know what he is doing online Windows Defender is good enough.

Only a race driver needs to wear a helmet even in an automobile.

For a safe driver seat belts & air bags are more than enough.

I am pretty sure Huracan very well knows how to steer clear from malware.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I would say Kaspersky 2015, but many will disagree - it depends what your system specs are i.e., I have 32GB of RAM so Kaspersky is very light, other than that I would say ESET or Webroot.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I sincerely doubt that Kaspersky's performance would be any different on a machine with 32GB than on one with 4GB.
Memory can make a difference if you have a Anti-Virus program that is bloated. I have removed AVG from seniors PC's and there was a considerable gain in speed. Norton is a know resource hog IMHO!

Reactions: Tony Cole

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I agree memory makes a huge difference, that's a reason I do not like software like Comodo as it comes bundled with crap
I agree 100%! Here's my theory KISS( Keep it Simple Stupid). A lot of those programs bundle crap. I read all these claims about all these software programs you need to keep you safe. There isn't a software program that is 100%. It you bundle your protection and use your brain, the free programs will get the job done and you can speed the money you save on your grand kids and great grand kids:)
I run MSE and MBAM Pro. I have WOT on all three browsers. I use my brain and use safe surfing. I have never been seriously infected. I have been tricked in down loading PUP's, but they are easily removed. I also always have a clean image of my OS on a external drive that will get me back up and going if I get in to much trouble.:eek:

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Seriously :confused: You mean to say that Kaspersky can even slow down Tony's machine with a monster 32GB of ram.True that :)

No, absolutely not and to make things clear, I never wrote in any word that Kaspersky would cause any slowdowns. I just wrote that it doesn't make a difference whether you have 4 or 32GB because when there is more RAM than needed it doesn't matter how much more of it there is.

Norton is a know resource hog IMHO!

I beg to differ. The latest Norton Security is the lightest suite on resources right after Webroot. Certainly way lighter than this combo of MSE + MBAM Pro. In fact MSE + MBAM Pro is one of the heaviest combos you can get and sadly even lower in protection than any of the current top single solutions, which offer more than just signatures, like behavioral analysis, file reputation and intrusion prevention.

But hey, it's always ok to talk bad about Norton (doesn't even matter if its wrong, because no one is using it anyway, so no contest) and to say that Kaspersky is sooo heavy whereas everything else is sooo light.

E

eight

I never wrote in any word that Kaspersky would cause any slowdowns

You should have been more specific with what you implied with this :

I sincerely doubt that Kaspersky's performance would be any different on a machine with 32GB than on one with 4GB

Since speed & slowdowns was what Donetao, Tony Cole & myself were discussing.

Have a look :

WOW :cool: Even Kaspersky will fly with that kind of ram

My mum's laptop has 8GB and Kaspersky 2015 does slow it down, especially during start-up

I have removed AVG from seniors PC's and there was a considerable gain in speed

Reactions: Tony Cole

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My mum's laptop has 8GB and Kaspersky 2015 does slow it down, especially during start-up.
Likewise for any additional entries added to the start-up. What else runs on boot?

In Windows 8.1 Task Manager, you can monitor the Impact* via the Start-up tab.

* - "Degree of impact from CPU and disk activity, measured during startup and updated with each restart."

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
from the AV that i've tested. comodo, Avast Avira AVG forticlient MBAM PRO. panda free.
from the AV that i use. 360IS ESET MSE.

the lightest one is
1 360IS without BD engine.
2 ESET startup scan when idle
3 MSE Avast

The heaviest
1 AVG
2 forticlient

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
No, absolutely not and to make things clear, I never wrote in any word that Kaspersky would cause any slowdowns. I just wrote that it doesn't make a difference whether you have 4 or 32GB because when there is more RAM than needed it doesn't matter how much more of it there is.

I beg to differ. The latest Norton Security is the lightest suite on resources right after Webroot. Certainly way lighter than this combo of MSE + MBAM Pro. In fact MSE + MBAM Pro is one of the heaviest combos you can get and sadly even lower in protection than any of the current top single solutions, which offer more than just signatures, like behavioral analysis, file reputation and intrusion prevention.

But hey, it's always ok to talk bad about Norton (doesn't even matter if its wrong, because no one is using it anyway, so no contest) and to say that Kaspersky is sooo heavy whereas everything else is sooo light.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thanks for this awesome post

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.