Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I have tried many AVs but as about performance (windows start up time also) nothing comes close to Qihoo 360 and Eset.
Especially if you are using 360 (Internet or Total security) without extra engines then we are talking about the fastest windows start up, applications launch and multitasking experience you'll ever have...

BIgD1

Level 3
Verified
Oct 25, 2014
I have used the latest versions of Eset, Kaspersky, Webroot, Trend Micro, Norton Security, Qihoo TS and Qihoo IS.

Norton Security 2015 with toolbar disabled gets my vote. Will have to say Qihoo TS cloud only is really fast, but in my opinion it's still buggy.

Last edited:
Reactions: randj89
E

eight

i know that webroot is not that bad but does it have the same level or near abouts of protection like top av's ?

This is a very relative question.

I would give 10/10 to Trend Micro, 09/10 to Bit Defender & 07/10 to Webroot when it comes to protection.

I would give 10/10 to Webroot, 09/10 to Trend Micro & 07/10 to Bit Defender when it comes to being light.

But there will be several members here on Malware Tips who will definitely debate / disagree with me.

Bottom line, the protection you use is totally relevant to the Hardware & Software Configuration & Operating

System of the machine in question.

Also keep in mind that your habits / usage play a very crucial role in determining which is the best protection for

your machine.

Light anti-virus does in no way translate to Best anti-virus.

Reactions: saket

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Go with what ever you think is best for you. MSE and MBAM Pro is my choice for W7. Windows defender and MBAM Pro for W8.1.WOT for all your browsers and use your brain!
Practice safe surfing and back up your OS on a external HD! IMHO no need to pay for Anti-Virus programs. If you think you're safer with a paid Anti-Virus program; go for it.;) MT is always giving away free Anti-Virus programs. Wait for the free basket if you want a paid Anti-virus program. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!:):rolleyes:

E

eight

IMHO no need to pay for Anti-Virus programs.

I beg to differ with absolutely no offence intended towards my fellow member & friend Donetao.

A free anti-virus is just a marketing ploy to make you eventually buy the paid version.

The downside being that you will have ads / pop-ups in your face or bundled software during installation.

As a company would you not give your best to a customer who pays you hard cash rather than a free loader?

It would be foolish for a proprietor to dole out the exact same services to both a free & a paid customer.

Any paid software has to be more feature rich / limitation free as compared to the free version of it.

Malware Tips currently has 4 giveaways of paid subscriptions for online protection, worth pondering over.

Some of the top most protection software companies have never had a free version, namely, Dr.Web,

Emsisoft, Eset, Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton, Panda, Trend Micro & Webroot.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A free anti-virus is just a marketing ploy to make you eventually buy the paid version.

Yes there's a fact where some programs doing that tactics but others have free version like Avast, AVG, Avira and etc have same performance like their paid version with such difference of features components.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
As a company would you not give your best to a customer who pays you hard cash rather than a free loader?

Any paid software has to be more feature rich / limitation free as compared to the free version of it.

The question is, does a home user need all these features that are present in the paid version? I'd like to differ from your statement that paid version is better than the free version, if it does nothing that serve your daily interest.

This also in no way represent that free versions are feature restricted and won't meet your demands. For instance you can layer up your security using a free antivirus, free firewall, free network security tool, free system monitor, and still get the same protection that you would get from a paid software.

There is at-least one good freeware alternative to every paid software out there that should fill-in for all your needs.

E

eight

For instance you can layer up your security using a free antivirus, free firewall, free network security tool, free system monitor, and still get the same protection that you would get from a paid software.

Why will I separately get the body, the chassis, the engine & the tyres from different manufacturers & create a

shabby ride when I can walk into a Mercedes showroom & drive away with a ready-made state-of-the-art Benz.

Unless of course I can not afford the Benz & have no choice but to create the shabby ride & make do with it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its a user preference basis cause sometimes that's the alternative approach however these days like Comodo and Qihoo gave their internet suites for free with solid protection included therefore can compete same from paid version. ;)

The statement about restricted limited performance of Free AV's may considered a bit myth already. ;)

Reactions: conceptualclarity

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Not just the Free AV-variant. "Your subscription has expired, please renew to stay protected!", does that make the paid AV user even more.. what's the word.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Why will I separately get the body, the chassis, the engine & the tyres from different manufacturers & create a

shabby ride when I can walk into a Mercedes showroom & drive away with a ready-made state-of-the-art Benz.

Unless of course I can not afford the Benz & have no choice but to create the shabby ride & make do with it.

I wish there was an All-In-One suite that works as an office suite, video downloader, file archiver, torrent client and image editor :D I guess that would have made life easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.