Battle Lightest antivirus 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Avira can sometimes cause a considerable delay while the computer is doing post login jobs (auto startup of apps, system apps etc) and a quick scan is being started.
I experienced this yesterday after a some days not using my laptop.

Reactions: Ali80

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Avira can sometimes cause a considerable delay while the computer is doing post login jobs (auto startup of apps, system apps etc) and a quick scan is being started.
I experienced this yesterday after a some days not using my laptop.
Have you used:
-AVG Free
-Bitdefender Free
-Tiranium IS
for free or
-ESET
-Webroot
for paid?

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I love how no one mentionned Cloud Antiviruses such as a Panda Cloud Antivirus ... ?

Cloud Antiviruses are the lightest Antiviruses you'll find as everything is done on their server-side and not on your computer, so resources are barely used.

Also, Windows Defender itself is more of an Antimalware rather than an Antivirus if you read its Help menu, lol.

M

MalwareT

Avast! Free

Capture.PNG

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
The Lightest antivirus depends on your system configuration and O.S installed. All test results that claims about the lightest antivirus are done on different hardware (especially installed RAM), and may not exactly fall in line with real-world results corresponding to your PC>

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I love how no one mentionned Cloud Antiviruses such as a Panda Cloud Antivirus ... ?

Cloud Antiviruses are the lightest Antiviruses you'll find as everything is done on their server-side and not on your computer, so resources are barely used.

Also, Windows Defender itself is more of an Antimalware rather than an Antivirus if you read its Help menu, lol.

Contrary to the opinion cloud antiviruses being light, Panda didn't fare well at PC Mark tests and performance tests at AV-Tests and AV-Comparitives...

AV-Comparatives Performance Test (Panda came below the middle rung)
AV-Test Performance (Panda came last)

Same results on my test-machine too.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
MSE, Avast, Roboscan, Dr. Web, Bitdefender Free, Bitdefender IS - all seemed about the same speed except Bitdefender IS, which had a noticeable slowdown effect.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
System specs matter more than what AV may, or may not be light. I have a 32GB HD so to me Kaspersky is very light, others it's very heavy. I think the general consensus is avast! and Eset are very light; and both are very good.

Tony :)

Reactions: Ali80

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
System specs matter more than what AV may, or may not be light. I have a 32GB HD so to me Kaspersky is very light, others it's very heavy. I think the general consensus is avast! and Eset are very light; and both are very good.

Tony :)

Avast has an interesting "flushing" technique, where memory usage goes back to 5MB every 10seconds...I like it :D

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
AVG Free and Avast Free are two antivirus those are extremely light.

Many people thinks "Panda" is light because it's cloud Antivirus. But I used Panda Pro ( Promotional) and found it's not at all light.

Reactions: JakeXPMan and Ali80

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Don't let them fool you by that chart.
Anyone who tells me Bitdefender 2015 is in top 3 list of Lightest Antivirus I will ask them to show proof. I don't believe in Paid Charts.

BitDefender won't even be able to scan a file on a system with 256MB of RAM, without hanging. One of my oldies.... [Well each antivirus will give an optimal system that it will work comfortably but still]

Performance tests should be done on low-end systems..

Reactions: Ali80 and Kate_L
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.