Battle Lightest antivirus 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thingol

Level 1
Verified
Aug 9, 2014
It depends what you mean by light I suppose. If it's impact on day to day activities there are a few 'up there' at the moment.

I'm old fashioned though and want minimum impact on day to day usage but also don't want the applications hammering the disc/CPU etc. I don't really care about RAM usage. I'd rather have sigs et stored there than constant disc reads.

I also hate system start-up lags. A few seconds is OK but some delay considerably.

The usual suspects don't really do it for me. Using Windows Defender make my rig feel like it's trawling through mud. If you consider the AVC performance benchmarks as accurate you see many perform better. ESET feels light to use but uses too many resources for me.

WSA is good - no start up issues, no real day to day performance issues either. If you only scan on execution disc utilisation , CPU etc are also reduced to very good levels. Remember you also need protection as well and you'll need to trust the 'low detection but high protection through restriction of unknown' approach from webroot.

The 2015 Kaspersky range will surprise a few as well I think.

Cheers

Chris

No Malware

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 3, 2014
If we talk here about the lightness and detection rate so i think i will choose ESET.
But if we talk about only the lightness and low impact in system resources i think i will choose WSA .

Reactions: Ali80

Bergo

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
May 13, 2013
ESET Enpoint Security::)

Attachments

• 2014-08-11_15h18_08.png
    2014-08-11_15h18_08.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 558
Reactions: Ali80 and MalwareT

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
I have to interject here, on the specifics of light.
Light as in how much of the computer resources are being used to facilitate the operations of the software?
Or light as in, regardless of system resources, the software "feels" and appears to be light, with no sluggish, slowdowns, hiccups, freezes, cpu usage real high during scanning etc.

I see many responses of my favorite, and the fact it is not a cloud system, it still uses cloud technologies to detect and capture new and prevalent in-the-wild viruses.
If you have a security product that uses quite a bit of RAM, it is going to be snappier and quicker in its overall actions, due to the fact throughput from the chips will be quicker and data is read and written to at the same time it is accessed, unlike hard disk etc.

Then the system specs come into play. What about people using high speed random-access memory as well as high speed solid state storage. Then you have to look at how quick your cpu frequency is running.

So if we are all using quick ram, solid state drives, and the product is designed to utilize ram, we then have to look at the compilation of the product, the programming language it is being written in, don't forget assembly has the fastest and tightest communication directly with machine code instructions which are then ultimately carried out by the CPU. Then we are back to analyzing CPU frequency.

Products designed with a compiler, interpreter, and based off a high level language will have additional steps before it reaches the throughput of the CPU.

:confused:
Anyone is welcome to ignore my blabbering, but i choose ESET for the aforementioned blabber

notorious_rn

Jun 12, 2012
Reactions: conceptualclarity

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/2/

avast is the lightest followed by webroot. i tried it on my PC and yes it is light indeed you cant feel it that it is running at the background. posted a year ago

but with the released of roboscan antivirus, its another contender for being the lightest antivirus.

currently im using avira free antivirus with malwarebytes as backup.

This Raymond test is 1 year old.
It's not all about RAM usage.
I think AV-Comparatives test is pretty much close to the reality.

Clipboard02.png

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
This Raymond test is 1 year old.
It's not all about RAM usage.
I think AV-Comparatives test is pretty much close to the reality.

View attachment 34206

It also depends on the system configuration. Don't even expect to run BitDefender or Kaspersky on a low-end system. But Qihoo 360 and Avast will run on it better.

One of my system has 256MB RAM, and only 360IS, Avira and Avast works on it. The other ones causes system hang.

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7 (light on disk R/W and CPU)
Windows Defender on Windows 8 and 8.1 (light on disk R/W and CPU)
Avast (light on RAM + good protection)
Eset (light on disk R/W and CPU + excellent protection - my recommendation)
AVG (balanced resource usage but in real world: opening Office programs, Websites etc - it even speed things up because of good caching implementation)
Avira (light on RAM, light on disk R/W and CPU but in real world sometimes slows down the system)

Last edited:

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
The most unusual review because webroot should be at the top because it is the lightest

I don't trust too much this test but...
Did you do some similar test and compare to others AV programs?
Did you read all what they include in test (it's not all about RAM and CPU)?

Clipboard02.png

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i am test SecureAPlus atm without the offline antivirus installed. Its the lightes i have tryed until now on my machine(not ram) but system response.

Reactions: Ali80

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
"Performance" and "Resource usage" - as we all know to say: light on resources ... is different thing ... many folks think that ESET is resource hungry because of RAM usage...but RAM usage is the smallest problem if product itself is well written. It will speed up our PC-s. It also differ from computer to computer. On solid spec pc-s Kaspersky and Norton performs really good (i agree with most of the professional test-s), but their resource usage is still above the average. So what we are looking for?? What we can afford with our specs?? It's user preference :) One example is with AVG: It's not light as MSE, but Office programs opens quicker with AVG than without any AV. It's tested. That is performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.