Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Norton 360 Premium (paid - latest release), VoodooShield Premium (paid - latest release - note: not always 100% on)
Firewall security
About custom security
SONAR set to aggressive

Boot time protection Aggressive

Custom scans set at various times - multiple custom scans

Blocking traffic for malicious applications - set to aggressive
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Paid - real time disabled - using as needed)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox: AdGuard AdBlocker, Windscribe VPN, and NoScript
Google Chrome: AdGuard AdBlocker, Windscribe VPN, and NoScript
Secure DNS
I use Windscribe nearly all the time. DNS is then provided by them.
Quad9 - Sound and secure. Great DNS!
Desktop VPN
Windscribe Pro (paid - latest release - lifetime license)
Avira Phantom VPN (secondary VPN not main VPN at all) – BETA TESTING
Password manager
Sticky Password - Lifetime
RoboForm for Business - Enterprise - RoboForm Everywhere
PassCamp - Enterprise Read more about it here: Enterprise Password Management Solution - PassCamp or Password Manager Features - PassCamp
LastPass - Enterprise - Separate Business Accounts
Maintenance tools
Cleaning Utilities:
  • Glary Utilities PRO (paid and latest release)
  • Windows 10 built in tools
Software Removal Tool:
  • Revo Uninstaller v4 (Pro Portable - Paid - Paid for many years of updates!)
Windows Repair (Not Always Using Here Folks – Mainly For Some Minor Repairs Before Clean Install)
File and Photo backup
Backup Software (or similar):
  • AOMEI Backupper Pro (paid - latest release)
    • AOMEI Dynamic Disk Manager Pro Edition (paid - latest stable - lifetime license) – Updating disk information and management
    • AOMEI Parition Assistant Pro Edition (paid - latest stable - lifetime license) – Updating disk information and management
  • Macrium Reflect Free (free - latest release)
    • viBoot from Macrium Reflect (free - latest stable) – Please read more about viBoot here before commenting on it: Macrium viBoot
      • In short (their wording not mine):Macrium viBoot enables you to instantly create, start and manage Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines using one or more Macrium Reflect image files as the basis of the virtual machine storage sub-system.
      • At a minimum, viBoot enables you to boot into the images you have made using Macrium Reflect, for validation purposes, or to retrieve data from old applications stored on a bootable image. At an enterprise level, you could recover an entire network environment in minutes.
      • Macrium viBoot is now built upon new technology that allows it to instantly present a Macrium Reflect image file as a Microsoft Virtual Disk (.VHDX) file.
  • Acronis True Image 2021 (paid and latest release - perpetual license for v2021)
Yes, I use three different backup tools. No, I do not use all three at the same time, same day, or for exactly the same reason. If you get stung by one backup going bad you will get why I use three. Plus, all three have some very unique and nice features. Check these out! Questions – please read about the tools prior to asking! Thank you!
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free (free - latest stable), AOMEI Backupper Pro (paid and latest stable), Acronis True Image 2021 (paid and latest release)
Risk factors
    • Working from home
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Requesting and accepting remote access
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
CPU - Intel i7-8700k CPU @ 3.70 GHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 @ 8 GB GDDR5X
RAM - 64 GB DDR4 - 63.8 GB Usable!
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E500BW)
HDD - WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX
AIO liquid CPU cooler

Will be doing some upgrades later this year. Looking at a beefier GPU, but the market for GPUs isn't the best right now. Will be kicking out my HDD eventually too with a SSD. For now the HDD stays.
Notable changes
Major Changes:
Migrated over to Norton 360 Premium 2022.

Upgraded VMware Workstation Pro from 16.1 to 16.2.2!!

Link: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-W...Mware-Workstation-1622-Pro-Release-Notes.html

Yes, I know I paid a pretty penny on this...Every release. I know I will never regret it given my career field and everything that I do.

Upgraded AOMEI Backupper from v6.7.0 to v6.8.0

New features/changes of AOMEI Backupper v6.8 can be found here:

Link: Changelog – AOMEI Backupper

Upgraded AOMEI Partition Assistant from v9.5.0 to 9.6.0

New features/changes of AOMEI Partition Assistant can be found here:

Link: AOMEI Partition Assistant Changelog

Upgraded Macrium Reflect v8 to the latest edition (free - latest release)

New features/changes of Macrium Reflect v8 can be found here:

Link: Macrium Reflect Patch Details

I do like the look/feel of the new version. I'm a fan!

Upgraded GlassWire ELITE to the latest stable release which is v2.3.374

New features/changes of GlassWire v2.2.268 can be found here:

Link: GlassWire Software Version Changes List

Upgraded Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable from v4.5 to v4.5.3

New features/changes of Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable Pro v4.5.3 can be found here:

Link: Revo Uninstaller Pro - History

Adguard Premium (paid - latest release - lifetime license) upgraded from v7.7.2 to latest build which is v7.8

New features/changes of Adguard Premium v7.8 can be found here:

Link: Versions history | AdGuard

Upgraded RoboForm for Windows RoboForm for Business (highly secure and locked down) from v9.2.1 to latest release which is v9.2.4

New features/changes of RoboForm for Windows RoboForm for Business v9.2.4 can be found here:

Link: RoboForm for Windows Version News

Upgraded Sticky Password for Windows from v8.4.3.784 to latest release which is v8.4.3.848

New features/changes of Sticky Password for Windows v8.4.3.848 can be found here:

Link: Windows release notes | Sticky Password

Big changes that some folks didn't see came in release of 8.4.3.779. Have a look.

Acronis True Image 2021 upgraded to Build 39287

New features/changes of Acronis True Image Build 39287 can be found here:

Link: Release notes - List of Changes - 42226

Not all too thrilled that they went to subscription.. Would love to hear how others feel about this too!
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello MT Friends!

I have made some good changes as of late and I wanted to post this in my 2022 build.

Yes, I spend some serious money on some serious software. Please know, I got some software on lifetime deals before subscriptions kicked in and lifetime deals stopped. I'm currently evaluating the cool Tech Bench of AOMEI and I am considering buying it as I help so many folks on the side with their IT needs. Overall, I am for maximum security to ensure a nice and tight setup.

Some may say its a bit overkill to run Norton 360 Premium with VoodooShield Premium. I think nothing of it. Many others are running this same or similar setups now as well. In fact, I like the setup quite a bit. Resources aren't tasked one bit. I have more than enough resources for the setup that I notice zilch and I repeat that again zilch delays in any usage scenarios. No false positive issues either. Dan has done a good job with the software that's for sure. No Norton bloat at all.

Side note - been still seriously looking at kicking myself over to Bitdefender. This was especially true in one of the latest releases from Norton... o_O We will not go into that here though. That's for a sperate portion of MT to talk about. I have so many years worth of licenses for Norton right now. Norton would have to make some pretty over the top serious issues for me to pull the plug with how many years worth of licenses I have. Dead serious. Bitdefender would be my go to when I do make the full switch. I'm seriously impressed with the enterprise grade GravityZone that I have been using for years. Time will tell!

Let me know your thoughts of my setup!

Thanks!
Brian

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.