Battle Lightweight and reliable

g1ann191

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 29, 2017
Hi, in June I plan to erase my pc and reinstall windows, my kaspersky license expire in that period so I need suggestion. I use PC for gaming, office, surfing the web. I always use latest windows 10 Pro update. I use a lot of common sense in PC security, I mantain a regular backup and I do not use pirated software. I need a ligthweight solution (for gamging) but also reliable and secure (for my personal stuff).

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Kaspersky, Norton and ESET all have good detection.

According to the latest AV-C test, ESET wins in 'lightness' by a long way..

I don't recommend Windows Defender.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
There's hardly anything in amongst the light department. I'm using Webroot which is very very light with Binisoft Firewall Control. My suggestion would be a Cloud based or AI based AV. Cylance, Comodo, Panda and even ESET are amongst some of the better/light AVs out there. Don't take my word for it though, test some of them out if you to.

~LDogg

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Meeting all the requirements in AV is difficult to achieve, ie it is lightweight and has a good detection, I've been looking for it for years.
But as for the subject, the closest thing to what you want would be from my point of view, would be two, Eset or Avast.:giggle:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I've been struggling in recent tests with ESET, finding it hard to survive against sophisticated malware. I've always been a fan, but the lack of Application Control module and BB gives one a bit of a worry for those malware that aren't included on the pack of signatures. I would go with Kaspersky all the way.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I've been struggling in recent tests with ESET, finding it hard to survive against sophisticated malware. I've always been a fan, but the lack of Application Control module and BB gives one a bit of a worry for those malware that aren't included on the pack of signatures. I would go with Kaspersky all the way.
Yes, but Kaspersky is not an Av.
Light as Avast or Eset. :giggle:

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I've used Norton for almost a year but also tried others in the meantime, I always came back to Norton due to it being very light. I would say though that usually every product works differently on different machines, so the best would be to test them out yourself just before reinstalling windows and see what you find.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I've used Norton for almost a year but also tried others in the meantime, I always came back to Norton due to it being very light. I would say though that usually every product works differently on different machines, so the best would be to test them out yourself just before reinstalling windows and see what you find.

Exactly. Of the "common AVs" -- I've tried many. But I too always end up with Norton as the cornerstone capability on some of the household machines. It's all-time top-three in detection (with Kaspersky and Bitdefender), and for me, it's always light and unobtrusive.

It's been a long time since I tried ESET, and I'll probably play around with it at some point just to see how it is these days.

Cylance is the ultimate in lightness. With a couple of passive capabilities (Syshardener, OSArmor...) -- it will be the lightest.

Deckard

Level 1
Verified
Feb 20, 2019
Thanks all for the suggestion, now I am only in doubt between ESET and Kaspersky.
If you use a lot of common sense, you do 90% of the AV job. Eset will be enought. A good solution because really light.
For more risky situation, Kaspersky without hesitation.
Each time I was contamined, it was with Eset installed ! That never happened with Kaspersky or Dr.Web. Never.
(I must say that I had a pronounced risky behavior, in another life, time ago. I have since repented)

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.