Battle Lightweight and reliable

g1ann191

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 29, 2017
Hi, in June I plan to erase my pc and reinstall windows, my kaspersky license expire in that period so I need suggestion. I use PC for gaming, office, surfing the web. I always use latest windows 10 Pro update. I use a lot of common sense in PC security, I mantain a regular backup and I do not use pirated software. I need a ligthweight solution (for gamging) but also reliable and secure (for my personal stuff).

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks all for the suggestion, now I am only in doubt between ESET and Kaspersky.
Well, it depends on a lot of things.
1: what kind of PC you have
2: if you leave the AV by default or configure. if Kasperky is configured it can be much lighter than it is.
3: what kind of user you are, if you are risky or not.
In any case Eset by default is lighter, if that's what matters to you and it doesn't stop being a great AV. (I've always liked Kasperky, though. In terms of security)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I've been struggling in recent tests with ESET, finding it hard to survive against sophisticated malware. I've always been a fan, but the lack of Application Control module and BB gives one a bit of a worry for those malware that aren't included on the pack of signatures. I would go with Kaspersky all the way.
When using Eset always have the HIPS rules that make it default deny all scripts, Word macros, etc. Script launchers are one of the main infection vectors nowadays. The instructions are here:

Last edited:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
As far as Lightness is concerned Eset wins..however protection mechanisms are not top tier still has a lot of hiccups against unknown malware's.
Overall choose Kaspersky free version that has enough protection capabilities overall.
If you really like signatures include Avira as well.
Probably test all of the above on ur machine..and choose what fits you.
Recommendation from one end doesn't fit (need not ) fit the requirements and tastes @ other end.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Do what I'm doing...I also added Avira Web Extension.

Panda is extremely fast on my PC. So as of tonight I am running the above. (Panda, Webroot, and WFC)...

Panda is fast, but seems to have some weaknesses in protection, Webroot claims compatibility with all AV's, and it is also fast on my PC

Reactions: Nevi

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
g1ann191
Eset IS + WD SmartScreen(for EXE ) is solid. you can also Enable Eset parental control it works at network level and filters bad IPs(network wide for all application) and URLs(on the browser)
soon Eset will add a BB like protection to all Eset products.

Do you have more info about a coming BB from Eset? I tried to seek, but couldn't find any info.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Honestly, I think it all comes down to your system specs. For instance, Bitdefender might be light for some and heavy for others. Vice versa for ESET, Kaspersky etc. The only way to find out would be to actually use the products and test them for yourself to see how they react with your machine. Personally, I find ESET to be quite lightweight, but that's only from personal experience with my own machine :giggle:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.