Advice Request Lightweight Firewall with reputation based outbound blocking?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 77194
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
May not be exactly what you're looking for (as in a discrete firewall) but I use Andy Ful's FirewallHardening in conjunction with Windows firewall, which blocks the outbound calls of many Windows binaries. Here is a snip of what part of it looks like:

affwh.PNG

I also create outbound rules myself for apps like CCleaner. I tried third party firewalls--specifically TinyWall--for me there were too many silent blocks and I wasn't into it enough to be reading the logs every time something didn't work. I guess your personality factors into a lot of what works for you nowadays (like laziness). :D

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
There are also third-party interfaces for Windows Firewall. They don't add anything in addition to Windows Firewall, but just make them more visible in terms of the UX being more user-friendly than Windows Firewall Advanced settings menu.

Unless you are looking for specific reputation based rules, you're more likely to look into dedicated firewalls or endpoint firewall solutions.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Maybe you can try the Firewall Component of Symantec Endpoint Protection. I am not sure if it can issue a warning when unknown software tries to connect to the internet, but it integrates Intrusion Protection System (IPS) with Firewall which is definitely worth trying!

Reactions: Nevi and Kongo
F

ForgottenSeer 77194

Thread author
May not be exactly what you're looking for (as in a discrete firewall) but I use Andy Ful's FirewallHardening in conjunction with Windows firewall, which blocks the outbound calls of many Windows binaries. Here is a snip of what part of it looks like:

I also create outbound rules myself for apps like CCleaner. I tried third party firewalls--specifically TinyWall--for me there were too many silent blocks and I wasn't into it enough to be reading the logs every time something didn't work. I guess your personality factors into a lot of what works for you nowadays (like laziness). :D
Right now, I am using Andy Ful's Firewall Hardening. I am thinking about an automatic outbound blocking firewall because it is recommended by Cruelsister.

Reactions: gigi adi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.