Linux (and its community) Almost Broke Me!

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I've heard very good things about Parrot OS but I haven't had time to try it, having to install and configure again at this point makes me a bit lazy :sleep:
ParrotOS is very good, and stable. If you do not have time or space and or simply do not wish to explore all the tools on the full security version, the home version is significantly smaller, lighter and and can be customized as in adding tools you want from the pentesting side of things to make a light pentesting suite. Both home and security versions also concentrate on privacy features that might be worth a look for you. HTB version they have is also interesting for those wishing to learn, its an online portal you would create an account with on their servers to practice and learn the tools.

klepto

Level 2
Jun 14, 2020
I lived in OpenBSD for a few years in the 90's and the man pages were great. Now this year I am living on Linux again. Nothing to complain about. The video was complaining about Linux because of certain users who weren't welcoming him in a forum and that's shouldn't be taken as representative of the Linux community as a whole.
My dad was in the air force so I saw unix being used at a young age.. I started using Linux at 96 on a 386sx. Linux has come a long ways from back then. Building Linux from scratch with only a reference manual was not for the feint of heart. The Linux community can be snobbish and not kind at all. It is possible to find certain communities that are friendly and are willing to help. There is a fair bit of eliteism and that is a shame.

As most tech companies close off their ecosystems and sell your data off Linux has become a beautiful oasis. To be able to use it properly just requires some patience and some google. Some of us had no google when we started using Linux :D.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

My dad was in the air force so I saw unix being used at a young age.. I started using Linux at 96 on a 386sx. Linux has come a long ways from back then. Building Linux from scratch with only a reference manual was not for the feint of heart. The Linux community can be snobbish and not kind at all. It is possible to find certain communities that are friendly and are willing to help. There is a fair bit of eliteism and that is a shame.

As most tech companies close off their ecosystems and sell your data off Linux has become a beautiful oasis. To be able to use it properly just requires some patience and some google. Some of us had no google when we started using Linux :D.
Yes building the root directory partition, now uefi system partition, swap, mounting the system files, configurations, users, finally desktop environment, sounds familiar.

One can still do this and build from scratch, Arch and or build from source Gentoo.

Although I have to admit I did not attempt that before Google 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Customization is the name of the game, love that about linux.

Bodhi linux i decided to check out, because its lightweight, takes little resources and is based on ubuntu. Im running KVM in a debian linux container on chromebook with only 64gb of storage total for the whole device. Bodhi allows me to use less of this and place what tools i wanted for a light weight custom pentesting suite. I have Suricata running in IDS mode will more than likely switch it over to IPS mode before its over, but for now testing. Nmap and wireshark/tshark installed along with netsniff-ng and after a bit of testing will drop Kalis top 10 in minus the 2 already installed. Harden Iptables rules, set up IPS with suricata, and harden apparmor rules, drop filtering into the browser in advanced mode "ublock" and you are secure quite secure on linux.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 10.28.48 AM.png

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Added last tool to my customization, anonsurf from parrotOS ported over to Bodhi to run all traffic through TOR with PIA dns. wIth Suricata IDS enabled. Pentesting on my own devices for practice, but learning to protect myself in the process. Linux is very flexible.
I can assure you, i am not where the IP reads ;)

an1.png
an2.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.