Advice Request Linux Distro question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Hi,

I have been using Linux Mint for a while but I heard that when there is a new big version release coming out I am supposed to reinstall the whole system? Also, I think this is the case for Zorin OS? I like those Distros but I am not very fond of having to reinstall the system every time there is a new big release update. I heard PopOS! is a 'semi' rolling release so I won't have to reinstall the system every time there is a big update right? I am fairly new to the Linux side of things since I have been using Windows all my life, but am wanting to change to avoid Windows 11 release requirements early. Thanks for the help.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hi,

I have been using Linux Mint for a while but I heard that when there is a new big version release coming out I am supposed to reinstall the whole system? Also, I think this is the case for Zorin OS? I like those Distros but I am not very fond of having to reinstall the system every time there is a new big release update. I heard PopOS! is a 'semi' rolling release so I won't have to reinstall the system every time there is a big update right? I am fairly new to the Linux side of things since I have been using Windows all my life, but am wanting to change to avoid Windows 11 release requirements early. Thanks for the help.
It's not imperative to reinstall Linux Mint or any other distro, the upgrade command would work just fine, I am currently running Ubuntu 22.04, which I have upgraded from last 3 versions and it works fine. But my advice is to use timesift to backup your os and if incase something goes wrong you can restore a working copy in minutes. A complete reinstall is only recommended if the base of disto changes ie if the base changes from debian to arch, it's better to reinstall.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The only major distro I know of that requires reinstallation is MX Linux. However, even with MX you can keep your home folder, which saves half the work (or more). Mint does not require reinstallation.
That said, upgrades sometimes can cause issues, or can fail. A reinstallation is always better. Copy your home folder somewhere else so you can reuse your settings for certain programs that you customized.

daniel009

Dec 6, 2022
I will recommend that you use Kali Linux. It is one of the most secure operating systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: vtqhtr413

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
There's no need to reinstall the new version of the OS. The update service will automatically update your system to the latest OS. I'm using zorin 16.2 and self upgraded from 16.1 which I installed in the first place.

Reactions: Brahman

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.