Linux Mint 17 Final Released (May 31)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Verified
May 24, 2014
Mint Cinnamon (the main Desktop) or Mate (the lightest one) and all linux OSes are better than Windows security wise, you run under limited account from the start and Linux just ask you when some changes needing admin rights are needed.

most big distros are fine with X64 system and even with UEFI machines , they are faster, safer than Windows.

the main drawbacks compared to windows is the drivers/hardware issues (some vendors don't bother to do a Linux version ) but fortunately , Linux users are mainly developers and geeks so they made the drivers for them. Also you will not have all the softwares you used to use while in Windows , but you will find some replacement and sometimes they are even better made.

it is why i recommend you to try Linux Mate first (looks like Win7) , you download the Live CD X64, then use Rufus to made it into a live USB (select UEFI/GPT scheme if your are under UEFI), then select the USB as first boot then try Mint Mate as a virtual OS to check if your hardware are recognized : sound, graphics, network card, etc...) then if you like and want install it ; create a thread on your config thread so we can help you step by step)

Thanks alot Umbra. I tried Ubuntu in the past and my hardware was supported dont know if this will make a diffrence and also i was gona mess around in VM to start with just to get a feel of it :)

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Verified
May 24, 2014
When you said Linux MATE is that the version below Cinnamon on the download page? Did not see it till just now i googled it and it took me to a diffrent site lol teach me for not looking.

Also the Cinnamon one which i did try in Virtual Box dident go to well the thing froze up using a x64 image and enabling VTE in bios :eek:

D

Deleted member 178

When you said Linux MATE is that the version below Cinnamon on the download page? Did not see it till just now i googled it and it took me to a diffrent site lol teach me for not looking.

Mate x64: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=160

Also the Cinnamon one which i did try in Virtual Box dident go to well the thing froze up using a x64 image and enabling VTE in bios :eek:

dont use a VM,just load the Live CD / USB

3- set Rufus as shown below to create your Linux Live USB

YUNL0Sn.jpg

point 1 must be set exactly like this , point 2 is where you select your Linux ISO downloaded earlier. Press Start , let the process finishes.

4- let your USB plugged-in, restart, go to the UEFI (by pressing F2) , disable Secureboot, set your USB as 1st boot device.

5- restart, the Linux boot loader should appears , select the option that allow to run your Linux Live normally (generally option 1)

if you are using BIOS; set point 1 as MBR scheme (the first choice)

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Verified
May 24, 2014
Linux mint seems cool i like the look and that but for some reason it feels slower than windows for me which is weird now and again things hang and that all my hardware are working even my usb headset so i aint sure whats going on. In the system monitor the red/orange box for cpu are around 20-25% i aint sure if thats used or what thought.

D

Deleted member 178

Installed or live cd? If live CD it need more resources. Also which Mint?

Jaffa_Whacka

Level 2
Verified
May 24, 2014
I downloaded the one from link you posted and i had it as system not live CD so im not sure what was going on. Only thing i could thing of was either dodgy USB or my hardware not that supported.

D

Deleted member 178

Register in Mint Forum , and post the issue in the "newbie section" you will have a fast reply and surely a procedure to fix it.

Can you open "system monitor" and tell me which process is using lot of cpu?

Did you updated mint ? by the shield-like tray icon with exclamation mark?

Also open Driver Manager and select the recommended driver if available (mostly used to select the proper GPU driver)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.