Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Very thorough and secure config.
Excellent choice for security software, and it is well-configured.

The backup images are indeed unnecessary if you only need to backup individual files - as in your case - which can be achieved by simple copying & pasting on external/portable storage media.

You're good to go, as far as I am concerned. :D

Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p
Hey DracusNarcrym:) Good to Meet You
Thank you for your comments.
Good configuration which indeed solid at all, the big 3 products are already strong enough and definitely an overkill effect (positive thought) that nothing should bypass. ;)
Hey jamescv7:) Good to Meet You
Thank you for your comments.

SOFTWARE UPDATE;
I have removed SpywareBlaster.
I have re-edited my config to include additional information regarding my settings in Chrome itself,uBlock Origin,Stealth Mode,& History Eraser.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Did you renable Smartscreen and Updates? I would highly reccomend enabling both but if your too nervous you can just set updates to manual. :)
Hey J Gamez065:)
IMO I do not need Smartscreen with my config...And If I was to enable it I may face issues as a result of my blocking of the vast majority of MS telemetry (through o&o Shutup 10), and unrequired MS Services (through Firewall Rules)...;)
I do understand why you suggest that I have it enabled,and I am very appreciative of the fact that you have my best interests at heart,so thank you:)
IMO (and I know that most would disagree with me here)..,Taking everything into account I believe that it is more logical for me to stick with my 72 hour update delay system.If I balance out the % increase of my suffering an attack within 72 hours of an update/patch being rolled out ...against the % chance of possible installation of a borked automatic update/patch then I think that I am doing the right thing...
Many who have received borked auto-updates have had to spend time initially trying to find out if an update actually was responsible for their problem,then narrow down which particular update was responsible,and then either rollback their machine to an earlier time or uninstall the update that caused the problem.IMO this is far more annoying (and potentially dangerous security wise) than having a 72 hour delay,during which I am relying on my Security Software...
Let us not forget that the very fact that the Update/Patch was released indicates that the vulnerability associated with needing it had existed long before most of us knew about it.
Even In a worse case scenario I would rather spend a couple of hours resetting/reconstructing my machine & its softs than a similar amount of time (if not more) trying to negotiate the ramifications of having let a poorly conceived patch bork on my system.
If it comes down to a percentage game,then I can state that I have had more borked automatic security updates (1) than I have had infections breach my security software (0)...and in my view,(specific to my circumstances & software config) I honesty believe that both Logic and Percentages are in my favour.;)

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Updated Config: 17/8/2016
ADDED:
SpyShelter Premium (Giveaway) > REMOVED: SpyShelter Free Anti-Keylogger
ADDED: Shadow Defender (Thanks to MalwareTips for the Giveaway :) )

Also Updated my Config to show the following:>
ZoneAlarm:> Full details of my settings,plus my complete list of M$ Services "killed" through App Control.
...and more detailed Info of my settings in> Avast / SpyShelter / VoodooShield / Crystal Security.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Updated Config: 17/8/2016
ADDED:
SpyShelter Premium (Giveaway) > REMOVED: SpyShelter Free Anti-Keylogger
ADDED: Shadow Defender (Thanks to MalwareTips for the Giveaway :) )

Also Updated my Config to show the following:>
ZoneAlarm:> Full details of my settings,plus my complete list of M$ Services "killed" through App Control.
...and more detailed Info of my settings in> Avast / SpyShelter / VoodooShield / Crystal Security.
I am very pleased you got a copy, it is the very best software to protect your system as far as i can see. :D

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Good config indeed!. Excellent piece of work by carefully analyzing incompatibilities and getting rid of them.
Thank You @Vasudev :)
Ah yeah !
You are Bat-Logethica, I was sure !
Very nice update :p
Haha :D Thank You @DardiM ... "My Wings are like a shield of Steel"... Sorry, thats "Batfink" not "Bat-Penguin" :oops::)
I have been stealing your filter lists for my self. :oops:
That's Great to hear @frogboy :).. especially as amphibians do not need to pay a "finders fee" ;):)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
How do you think about removing 1-2 realtime protectors? For me, when you have voodooshield, you absolutely don't need crystal security because I think voodoo does the same job + lockdown mode (VT implementation and AI)
having some realtime scanners will slow down the system as I used to have Kis + VS + ZAM and they were both kicked in when I opened something

I used to play around with security apps but after a while, I got bored and uninstalled everything, only KIS 2017 left. I feel like I have a new laptop as it is at least x2 faster

:)

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
How do you think about removing 1-2 realtime protrctors? For me, when you have voodooshield, you absolutely don't need crystal security because I think voodoo does the same job + lockdown mode (VT implementation and AI)
having some realtime scanners will slow down the system as I used to have Kis + VS + ZAM and they were both kicked in when I opened something

I used to play around with security apps but after a while, I got bored and uninstalled everything, only KIS 2017 left. I feel like I have a new laptop as it is at least x2 faster

Thanks for your reply @Evjl's Rain :)
You are absolutely correct in saying that VoodooShield & Crystal Security overlap each other a little...
but each has features that the other does not.
Crystal Security lists everything that is installed on my machine in real-time (Including M$ components) whereas VoodooShield does not (This can be confirmed by comparing the Crystal Security "Overview list" with the VoodooShied "User Log")
I like to be aware of everything (big or small) that is installed on my system,as well as subtle M$ changes,as it can affect my list of M$ Services "killed" through my Firewall Blocklist :)

Due to Crystal Security being so light,I do not feel any negative effects from having its real-time protection enabled,plus I do not like to keep all of my eggs in the same basket..If one should fail or temporarily crash,the other gives me a safety net.
I have a very low opinion of Zemana,and I rate Crystal Security as superior...Zemana is heavier,Insists on a trial of Pro when installing the free version,continues to make outbound connections even when real-time is deactivated,and has been party to IMO immoral and deceptive publicity..
My Machine has only a 2Ghz Processor & 2Gb RAM,yet due to my removal of bloatware & blocking of unneeded services it runs extremely fast.:)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for your reply @Evjl's Rain :)
You are absolutely correct in saying that VoodooShield & Crystal Security overlap each other a little...
but each has features that the other does not.
Crystal Security lists everything that is installed on my machine in real-time (Including M$ components) whereas VoodooShield does not (This can be confirmed by comparing the Crystal Security "Overview list" with the VoodooShied "User Log")
I like to be aware of everything (big or small) that is installed on my system,as well as subtle M$ changes,as it can affect my list of M$ Services "killed" through my Firewall Blocklist :)

Due to Crystal Security being so light,I do not feel any negative effects from having its real-time protection enabled,plus I do not like to keep all of my eggs in the same basket..If one should fail or temporarily crash,the other gives me a safety net.
I have a very low opinion of Zemana,and I rate Crystal Security as superior...Zemana is heavier,Insists on a trial of Pro when installing the free version,continues to make outbound connections even when real-time is deactivated,and has been party to IMO immoral and deceptive publicity..
My Machine has only a 2Ghz Processor & 2Gb RAM,yet due to my removal of bloatware & blocking of unneeded services it runs extremely fast.:)
After reading, I'm trying Crystal myself. I havent done it before because of its instability in several video reviews. Now it's time to test
1st impression: 1.1 Mb for the program. Wow

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
After reading, I'm trying Crystal myself. I havent done it before because of its instability in several video reviews. Now it's time to test
1st impression: 1.1 Mb for the program. Wow
:) I hope that you like it.
IMO Kardo Kristal has done an incredible job with developing Crystal Security.
His software,as well as his support for its users should make Security Software Companies with big budgets and large development teams feel ashamed of themselves.
If there were more people like Kardo then the World of Security Software,as well as the World in general would be a better place :)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Ah yeah !
You are Bat-Logethica, I was sure !
Very nice update :p
Maybe our good friend @Logethica should change his avatar to something like these. :D
The first one has the Union Jack as a background, quite fitting. ;)

evil_penguin_union_jack_coaster-rd9a7145f9f0e4cf0ba69a00e31a45fbb_ambkq_8byvr_324.jpg

union_jack_penguin_basic_white_mug-r3efd3534ef7c4ba4bb5b36ed35197148_x7jgr_8byvr_324.jpg

batfink.jpg

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
How do you think about removing 1-2 realtime protectors? For me, when you have voodooshield, you absolutely don't need crystal security because I think voodoo does the same job + lockdown mode (VT implementation and AI)

When you want to make a static analysis by left clicking on a file and droping the icon to VoodooShield little Shield, it will warn you that it can't make an analysis for certain extensions : in fact all Scripted files. With Crystal Security, all scripted files can be taken into account by just adding their extension in the options. (.vbs, .swf , .js, etc...)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.