DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Maybe our good friend @Logethica should change his avatar to something like these. :D
The first one has the Union Jack as a background, quite fitting. ;)

evil_penguin_union_jack_coaster-rd9a7145f9f0e4cf0ba69a00e31a45fbb_ambkq_8byvr_324.jpg

union_jack_penguin_basic_white_mug-r3efd3534ef7c4ba4bb5b36ed35197148_x7jgr_8byvr_324.jpg

batfink.jpg
Nice idea !

In fact everybody should find an avatar that correspond to him, based on a penguin if possiple:)
linux avatar - Recherche Google

For @Logethica, with all the interesting articles he posts every day, I think this one could be fun :

IVeuAluuet.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

You have Win 10 Pro So why not use group policy for Windows Updates to "Notify for download/install" instead of third party software?

I use group policy & works fine, no updates gets download/install automatically And I wait couple days before download/install, Even Windows Defender updates are notified & not download/install automatically.

You try software And also reset system & kinda quite often So why not use RollbackRx...easy/fast to try software & restore, & restore back to base snapshot?

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Maybe our good friend @Logethica should change his avatar to something like these. :D
The first one has the Union Jack as a background, quite fitting. ;)

evil_penguin_union_jack_coaster-rd9a7145f9f0e4cf0ba69a00e31a45fbb_ambkq_8byvr_324.jpg

union_jack_penguin_basic_white_mug-r3efd3534ef7c4ba4bb5b36ed35197148_x7jgr_8byvr_324.jpg

batfink.jpg
Hahahaha:D:D...Thanks @frogboy ..I love them :)
When you want to make a static analysis by left clicking on a file and droping the icon to VoodooShield little Shield, it will warn you that it can't make an analyze for certain extensions : in fact all Scripted files. With Crystal Security, all scripted files can be taken into account by just adding their extension in the options. (.vbs, .swf , .js, etc...)
Thank you for explaining that @DardiM :)
Nice idea !

In fact everybody should find an avatar that correspond to him, based on a penguin if possiple:)
linux avatar - Recherche Google

For @Logethica, with all the interesting articles he posts every day, I think this one could be fun :

IVeuAluuet.png
Hahahaha :D:D.. "..based on a penguin if possible":p:p:Dlol
He has eyes like mine..... actually,..thinking about it...you do too @DardiM ..................Dad ??? :D
..the frog avatar has my complexion though :)
You have Win 10 Pro So why not use group policy for Windows Updates to "Notify for download/install" instead of third party software?

I use group policy & works fine, no updates gets download/install automatically And I wait couple days before download/install, Even Windows Defender updates are notified & not download/install automatically.

You try software And also reset system & kinda quite often So why not use RollbackRx...easy/fast to try software & restore, & restore back to base snapshot?
Using group policy could be a good idea @yesnoo ..
I guess that I was not certain that it would stop everything that M$ delivers onto my system :confused:..
.. I used to receive M$ files that were not classified as "updates" and appeared to get through for this reason, which is why I began using 3rd party software & killing services..
Would group policy guarantee that M$ files that were not "updates" be prevented from being installed?
M$ has sneaky ways to try to enforce running things through edge & bing..
If I could be sure that group policy would work 100% with these then I may use it instead,but I guess that I had got used to relying on "non M$" ways to block M$.
I decided that using M$ to block M$ may not be watertight :)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
What MS files not classified as updates?
There are many..
The vast majority of which may be considered integral/vital, yet whether they are or not is of secondary importance if we are purely discussing whether they can be installed from M$ despite the blocking of services..
Everyday I have at least one firewall alert that states that my computer "attempted to connect to bing.com" which I never visit,and is blocked through my firewall..
Within the last few months some M$ files that have appeared on my system have been-

Microsoft Cabinet Maker (C:\windows\system32\makecab.exe)
Microsoft Resource File to CFF object conversion utility (c:\microsoft.NET\framework64\v4.0.30319\cvtres.exe)

I am not downplaying any importance that the above files have,I am just indicating that "update blocking" does not prevent all M$ files being installed (only updates).

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Good to see someone using ZoneAlarm Free firewall. I think it gives very good protection and is very underrated and doesn't get the credit it deserves. The sort of comments I read about it are things like mediocre protection on default settings or too intrusive on max settings. I used to use it as part of my old free setup alongside Panda, MBAE, Zemana AntiLogger and WinPatrol (more about my old setup in my thread 'Your security setup - then and now?' PLUG!) with settings very similar to yours and didn't find it excessively intrusive - no worse than, say, Comodo. Thanks to various giveaways I now have a very different setup but when Eset runs out I'm sure I will return to ZoneAlarm.

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Good to see someone using ZoneAlarm Free firewall. I think it gives very good protection and i's very underrated and doesn't get the credit it deserves. The sort of comments I read about it are things like mediocre protection on default settings or too intrusive on max settings. I used to use it as part of my old free setup alongside Panda, MBAE, Zemana AntiLogger and WinPatrol (more about my old setup in my thread 'Your security setup - then and now?' PLUG!) with settings very similar to yours and didn't find it excessively intrusive - no worse than, say, Comodo. Thanks to various giveaways I now have a very different setup but when Eset runs out I'm sure I will return to ZoneAlarm.
Exactly my opinion.

P

PEllis

Good to see someone using ZoneAlarm Free firewall. I think it gives very good protection and is very underrated and doesn't get the credit it deserves. The sort of comments I read about it are things like mediocre protection on default settings or too intrusive on max settings. I used to use it as part of my old free setup alongside Panda, MBAE, Zemana AntiLogger and WinPatrol (more about my old setup in my thread 'Your security setup - then and now?' PLUG!) with settings very similar to yours and didn't find it excessively intrusive - no worse than, say, Comodo. Thanks to various giveaways I now have a very different setup but when Eset runs out I'm sure I will return to ZoneAlarm.
Do you recommend the Pro Antivirus + Firewall?

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Do you recommend the Pro Antivirus + Firewall?
I've never tried it but from tests and reviews I've seen in the past ZoneAlarm anti virus, whether as part of the free or paid suite (I don't think it's available on its own), hasn't scored as well as the best. I haven't seen any up to date reviews though and it may have improved. The firewall, free or paid, is a gem though imo.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Good to see someone using ZoneAlarm Free firewall. I think it gives very good protection and is very underrated and doesn't get the credit it deserves
Exactly my opinion.
I agree @uninfected1 & @Klipsh :).... I don't know why ZoneAlarm Firewall is not more popular than it is.
I have only ever used "Online Armor" and "ZoneAlarm" Firewalls, and have used the latter for over 4 years without any negative issues at all.:)
With you security config, you can be employed on my secret Bat agency ...
:D... Thank you.I am Interested ,but only if I don't have to hang upside-down to sleep..
That is one secure empire I see there :rolleyes: . Where can I get these custom filters?
Thanks @Peter Kendrick :)...Click on the "spoiler" below to see links to my uBlock Origin custom filters,plus extra information. :)
Below are links to the 40 uBlock Origin "Custom Filters" listed on my Security Configuration.
Please Note that adding numerous extra filters should be done with a degree of caution.
I suggest to add maybe 2 or 3 of those that interest you at a time and check for any issues such as "Browser Slow-Down", "Web-Page Breakage", "Specific Site-Access Denial"..etc.All of our surfing habits differ,so just add the filters that you consider beneficial to you.

To add these Filters to uBlock Origin-
Go to uBlock Origin's Settings --> 3rd-Party Filters --> Scroll down to the bottom of the page and "Paste" the URL of the desired filter into the box provided --> Then Click on the "Parse" button --> Then click the "Apply Changes" button that will appear on the right side of the screen.

The "Click Here" Buttons below will take you to each respective Filter-List page.
Some of the pages may take a few seconds to load due to their size.
This will allow you to "Copy & Paste" the URL into uBlock Origin should you wish to.
Many of the Filters below are available on Filterlists.com, which has many more lists including language/region specific.

Adguard Annoyances Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard English Filter -Click Here
Adguard Mobile Ads Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard Social Media Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard Spyware Filter‎ -Click Here
BBcan177 -Click Here
Block all well known privacy trackers‎ -(gnuzilla) -Click Here
Block-EU-Cookie-#####-List‎ -Click Here
Desbma/referer-spam-domains/blacklist -Click Here
Fanboy's Anti-thirdparty Fonts‎ -Click Here
Fanboy's Cookiemonster List‎ -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/emd -(Malware) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/exp -(Exploits) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/fsa -(Fraud) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/grm -(Spam) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/hjk -(Hijacking) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/mmt -(Misleading Marketing) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/psh -(Phishing) -Click Here
Hosts.herndl.org/hosts.txt‎ -(Adblocking) -Click Here
Hostsfile.org/Downloads/hosts -Click Here
I don't care about cookies‎ -(kiboke-studio) -Click Here
Jmdugan/blocklists/master/corporations/facebook -Click Here
Jmdugan/blocklists/master/corporations/microsoft -Click Here
Malekal.com/HOSTS_filtre/HOSTS -Click Here
Nabble/semalt-blocker/master/domains -Click Here
Openphish.com/feed -Click Here
Optimate.dl.sourceforge.net/project/adzhosts/HOSTS -Click Here
Osint.bambenekconsulting.com/feeds/c2-dommasterlist -Click Here
Phishing.mailscanner.info/phishing.bad.sites (Phishtank) -Click Here
Piperun's iplogger filter‎ -Click Here
Quidsup/notrack/master/trackers -Click Here
Ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_DOMBL -Click Here
Ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_URLBL -Click Here
Rickrolldb.com/ricklist -Click Here
Security-research.dyndns.org/ponmocup-infected-domains Click Here-
StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts‎ -Click Here
Threatcrowd.org/feeds/domains -Click Here
Vxvault.net//URL_List -Click Here
Youtube: Pure Video Experience‎ -Click Here
Zant95/hosts/master/hosts‎‎ -(Blocks Download Sites) -Click Here
(I have added the above Spoiler to my "Comment" below my Security Configuration List)

Great configuration @Logethica nothing to add here, congrats! ;)
Thank you very much @JM Security :)

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I agree @uninfected1 & @Klipsh :).... I don't know why ZoneAlarm Firewall is not more popular than it is.
I have only ever used "Online Armor" and "ZoneAlarm" Firewalls, and have used the latter for over 4 years without any negative issues at all.:)
I also used Online Armor and only switched to ZA when it was discontinued. I guess the elephant in the room is Comodo (I suddenly feel very unwell). I used Comodo firewall and then the full CIS suite for about 4 years but I will never go anywhere near Comodo products again. Good protection but an unimaginable nightmare to uninstall/clean install. Installing each new version became increasingly problematic until attempting v8 install totally screwed my PC up. After a huge amount of hassle I was eventually able to boot and get it off my computer. CIS is quite simply not fit for purpose imo. This is the crazy nonsense their own forum recommends you have to do to clean install, and even if you follow the guide to the letter, like I always did, there's still a very good chance you'll have big problems.

Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems - Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS

ZoneAlarm on the other hand uninstalls/installs quickly and cleanly without the need for any further removal tools, as did Online Armor.

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Below are links to the 40 uBlock Origin "Custom Filters" listed on my Security Configuration.
Please Note that adding numerous extra filters should be done with a degree of caution.
I suggest to add maybe 2 or 3 of those that interest you at a time and check for any issues such as "Browser Slow-Down", "Web-Page Breakage", "Specific Site-Access Denial"..etc.All of our surfing habits differ,so just add the filters that you consider beneficial to you.

To add these Filters to uBlock Origin-
Go to uBlock Origin's Settings --> 3rd-Party Filters --> Scroll down to the bottom of the page and "Paste" the URL of the desired filter into the box provided --> Then Click on the "Parse" button --> Then click the "Apply Changes" button that will appear on the right side of the screen.

The "Click Here" Buttons below will take you to each respective Filter-List page.
Some of the pages may take a few seconds to load due to their size.
This will allow you to "Copy & Paste" the URL into uBlock Origin should you wish to.
Many of the Filters below are available on Filterlists.com, which has many more lists including language/region specific.

Adguard Annoyances Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard English Filter -Click Here
Adguard Mobile Ads Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard Social Media Filter‎ -Click Here
Adguard Spyware Filter‎ -Click Here
BBcan177 -Click Here
Block all well known privacy trackers‎ -(gnuzilla) -Click Here
Block-EU-Cookie-#####-List‎ -Click Here
Desbma/referer-spam-domains/blacklist -Click Here
Fanboy's Anti-thirdparty Fonts‎ -Click Here
Fanboy's Cookiemonster List‎ -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/emd -(Malware) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/exp -(Exploits) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/fsa -(Fraud) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/grm -(Spam) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/hjk -(Hijacking) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/mmt -(Misleading Marketing) -Click Here
Hosts-file.net/psh -(Phishing) -Click Here
Hosts.herndl.org/hosts.txt‎ -(Adblocking) -Click Here
Hostsfile.org/Downloads/hosts -Click Here
I don't care about cookies‎ -(kiboke-studio) -Click Here
Jmdugan/blocklists/master/corporations/facebook -Click Here
Jmdugan/blocklists/master/corporations/microsoft -Click Here
Malekal.com/HOSTS_filtre/HOSTS -Click Here
Nabble/semalt-blocker/master/domains -Click Here
Openphish.com/feed -Click Here
Optimate.dl.sourceforge.net/project/adzhosts/HOSTS -Click Here
Osint.bambenekconsulting.com/feeds/c2-dommasterlist -Click Here
Phishing.mailscanner.info/phishing.bad.sites (Phishtank) -Click Here
Piperun's iplogger filter‎ -Click Here
Quidsup/notrack/master/trackers -Click Here
Ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_DOMBL -Click Here
Ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/downloads/RW_URLBL -Click Here
Rickrolldb.com/ricklist -Click Here
Security-research.dyndns.org/ponmocup-infected-domains Click Here-
StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts‎ -Click Here
Threatcrowd.org/feeds/domains -Click Here
Vxvault.net//URL_List -Click Here
Youtube: Pure Video Experience‎ -Click Here
Zant95/hosts/master/hosts‎‎ -(Blocks Download Sites) -Click Here

Thanks @Logethica, big work done to write all this part with links :eek:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.