Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Great addition my friend @Logethica. :) I think you should uninstall VoodooShield, now that you have AppGuard. :p :)
I agree. Any reason why you add so many security softwares? This will decrease your system performance. Because your machine is running with all these softwares, you won't notice any decrease but when you remove a few of them, you will see a big improvement in speed
Usually an AV + antiEXE + a firewall should be sufficient enough
I think you should keep your AV + zonealarm + appguard (+spyshelter) => more than enough to protect your system
Trust me, unless you play around with sophisticated malwares, you won't get infected with simplified security setup :D

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Great addition my friend @Logethica. :) I think you should uninstall VoodooShield, now that you have AppGuard. :p :)
I agree. Any reason why you add so many security softwares? This will decrease your system performance. Because your machine is running with all these softwares, you won't notice any decrease but when you remove a few of them, you will see a big improvement in speed
Usually an AV + antiEXE + a firewall should be sufficient enough
I think you should keep your AV + zonealarm + appguard (+spyshelter) => more than enough to protect your system
Trust me, unless you play around with sophisticated malwares, you won't get infected with simplified security setup :D
@King Mellow @Evjl's Rain
:p.. I have deliberately combined VS with AG as I want to try them together.
I know what I am doing ;).. I have stripped my system back to zero many times for enjoyment so I would be aware of dips in system performance due to too much/conflicting software.:)
I am not concerned too much about possible Infection,It hasn't happened yet and I cannot foresee it happening in the future.
I get most pleasure from learning to configure all these security products to work alongside each other... I find it both Interesting and rewarding.:)
When I first started using this machine (With 2GB RAM:p) it ran very slowly with hardly any software on it..
I have constantly been surprised with how quickly it runs now that I have removed all M$ Bloatware & killed unneeded M$ Services... I never thought that I would be able to run all of these security products on it.It just goes to show how much unneeded rubbish M$ add to their machines..:rolleyes:
The title of this thread seems have been infected by a malware :p

Nice security config
Thanks @DardiM ... I have been having a bit of a change around and tidy-up of this thread.:rolleyes:I saw that font and liked it,so I decided to personalise my thread with it :oops:

I have "tidied" & improved my config thread by moving my Software Settings/M$ blocklist to "Spoilers".
I have added numerous extra details regarding settings as well (4 Hours Wasted :p)..
The new spoilers are with the spoiler that contains the 40 uBlock Origin Custom Filters.

L

Lucent Warrior

@King Mellow @Evjl's Rain
:p.. I have deliberately combined VS with AG as I want to try them together.
I know what I am doing ;).. I have stripped my system back to zero many times for enjoyment so I would be aware of dips in system performance due to too much/conflicting software.:)
I am not concerned too much about possible Infection,It hasn't happened yet and I cannot foresee it happening in the future.
I get most pleasure from learning to configure all these security products to work alongside each other... I find it both Interesting and rewarding.:)
When I first started using this machine (With 2GB RAM:p) it ran very slowly with hardly any software on it..
I have constantly been surprised with how quickly it runs now that I have removed all M$ Bloatware & killed unneeded M$ Services... I never thought that I would be able to run all of these security products on it.It just goes to show how much unneeded rubbish M$ add to their machines..:rolleyes:

Thanks @DardiM ... I have been having a bit of a change around and tidy-up of this thread.:rolleyes:I saw that font and liked it,so I decided to personalise my thread with it :oops:

I have "tidied" & improved my config thread by moving my Software Settings/M$ blocklist to "Spoilers".
I have added numerous extra details regarding settings as well (4 Hours Wasted :p)..
The new spoilers are with the spoiler that contains the 40 uBlock Origin Custom Filters.
I have ran VS and appguard together testing just to see. In testing samples, appguard always responds first, not letting anything run, so it was kind of pointless to have VS as well. I would run one or the other, both are very good protection.

D

Deleted member 2913

I see you use & try lots of software.

Have you tried RollbackRx?
It has its quirks like uninstall to install Windows Updates, no other software install that touches MBR, etc... But good to try software & reverting back, restore points to revert back in case of probs, etc...

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I see you use & try lots of software.

Have you tried RollbackRx?
It has its quirks like uninstall to install Windows Updates, no other software install that touches MBR, etc... But good to try software & reverting back, restore points to revert back in case of probs, etc...
I haven't tried it,friend...but I have heard good things about it.:)
I really don't see the need TBH.. especially as I enjoy resetting my machine and building from scratch.
Maybe I am lucky but I never have any problems,(apart from needing to reinstall Avast after I recently let the AU install.):)

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

I acknowledge that I am copying, unashamedly, some things in your firewall config.

In "ZONES BLOCKED" you refer to the IP 40.77.266.255 ... Surely it is a mistake, is it 40.11.266.255?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge :)

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I acknowledge that I am copying, unashamedly, some things in your firewall config.

In "ZONES BLOCKED" you refer to the IP 40.77.266.255 ... Surely it is a mistake, is it 40.11.266.255?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge :)
You have me wondering now,to be honest @Sr. Normal 2.0 ...:confused:
I remember copying it to paper from my Glasswire log,but I have since deleted the log,and thrown away the piece of paper :p
I recall that it was a specific IP,and that I extended it to encompass a range so as to not play "cat & mouse" but you have put doubt in my mind as to whether it was 77 or 11..:confused:
I will re-allow the IP range that I thought it was and check my logs daily to see if M$ uses that or another IP...
Once I detect network traffic to/from a new Microsoft IP I will add it to my config..
Thank you for questioning this @Sr. Normal 2.0 as I would not like to put a bogus IP range down to block..
until I have conformation I will remove the IP range that I listed from my config.:)

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

You have me wondering now,to be honest @Sr. Normal 2.0 ...:confused:
I remember copying it to paper from my Glasswire log,but I have since deleted the log,and thrown away the piece of paper :p
I recall that it was a specific IP,and that I extended it to encompass a range so as to not play "cat & mouse" but you have put doubt in my mind as to whether it was 77 or 11..:confused:
I will re-allow the IP range that I thought it was and check my logs daily to see if M$ uses that or another IP...
Once I detect network traffic to/from a new Microsoft IP I will add it to my config..
Thank you for questioning this @Sr. Normal 2.0 as I would not like to put a bogus IP range down to block..
until I have conformation I will remove the IP range that I listed from my config.:)

Ops! :oops: Sorry my friend. I don´t want make you work. I´m looking for it too ;)

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Ops! :oops: Sorry my friend. I don´t want make you work. I´m looking for it too ;)
No problem @Sr. Normal 2.0 :)
It seems that blocking M$ telemetry is an endless task :p..
I like O&O ShutUp10 as it is pretty thorough,although it is not perfect and a few stray M$ IPs remain.
I will keep looking for those that get through the net :D

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hmmm... This is probably the best free config I've found. Well done.
Thank you @LukeNukesEm :)
The security software that I employ that was either through a "giveaway" or a gift from Mt friends has only been added to my configuration within the last 3 months.Prior to this my config was purely free software.
IMO a novice will pay for security software because they think that it will offer greater protection,
and an advanced user may pay for security software because it is their hobby..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.